Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
AbsurdWalls

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by AbsurdWalls »

another lurker wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:On Dawkins and the Courtier's reply:
(I've been ummm-ing and ahhh-ing about saying this for a few days now.)

I think the Courtier's reply is a valid rebuttal to people who point to theological sources in response to Dawkins' arguments about the nonexistence of God. The issue I take however is that Dawkins does not stop there. He typically goes on to make claims about the morality of God if he were to exist. The problem with this is that the question of whether (for example) it was immoral for God to ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac is a very different sort of question than that of whether there is a God. Most importantly, if you want to try to interpret the morality of God's mythologised behaviour then you have to accept as a (hypothetical) premise that he exists. As soon as you have done that the arguments from theologians do become relevant again.

You might find this to be an interesting read:

Ordinary Morality Implies Atheism by Stephen Maitzen

"Abstract. I present a “moral argument” for the non-existence of God. Theism, I
argue, can’t accommodate an ordinary and fundamental moral obligation acknowledged by
many people, including many theists. My argument turns on a principle that a
number of philosophers already accept as a constraint on God’s treatment of human beings. I
defend the principle against objections from those inclined to reject it."

Link: http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-conten ... theism.pdf
Thank you, I will take a look.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Rumor has it that Justin is going for a T-shirt with an understated and subtle message.

http://i.imgur.com/qTJjrSr.jpg
That made me laugh way harder than is decent.

cunt

Post by cunt »

@elevatorGATE really is a fucking nutcase isn't he. I don't mean that in endearing way either.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Angry Skeptic Woman is a #BraveHero

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

cunt wrote:@elevatorGATE really is a fucking nutcase isn't he. I don't mean that in endearing way either.
It's hard to tell with him. Certainly I don't think he's such a nutcase that he needs to be banned from secular conferences in Florida.

Which post are you thinking of?

cunt

Post by cunt »

d4m10n wrote:
cunt wrote:@elevatorGATE really is a fucking nutcase isn't he. I don't mean that in endearing way either.
It's hard to tell with him. Certainly I don't think he's such a nutcase that he needs to be banned from secular conferences in Florida.

I'm not thinking of a specific post. He's registered quite a few fake twitter accounts with names relating to the WISCFI conference and is tweeting bullshit about "Smellody" from all of them.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

d4m10n wrote:

This one?
Ftbullies = joke ‏@ElevatorGATE 14 May

Funky Derek is a hero! And ophelia benson is a nigger.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I'm reckon @Elevatorgate is school age and jumped on this bandwagon after seeing the bounteous troll harvests to be reaped from feminists.
(And I know it's immature and I know it's stupid.... But I did laugh at "Smellody" and "Rice Morgan". )

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

LOL at the incomprehensible header of Oolon's BlockBot:
Helping you ignore people from annoyance to bigot on Twitter
Nice one Oolon. I wonder...Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

http://www.theblockbot.com/

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Tony Parsehole wrote:LOL at the incomprehensible header of Oolon's BlockBot:
Nice one Oolon. I wonder...Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Fuck you Pareshole. I tried to decipher that sentence, and now there's blood coming out of my earholes.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

justinvacula wrote:Angry Skeptic Woman is a #BraveHero
Justin, please, stop using that BraveHero stuff. It can get quite irritating. Why not switch to "X is on our latest podcast" instead?

Yeah, I probably miss the smokes a bit...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:

This one?
Ftbullies = joke ‏@ElevatorGATE 14 May

Funky Derek is a hero! And ophelia benson is a nigger.
O_o

Ok, Justin, lose the "hero" thing.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I had a look at his blockbot site.
They seem to have worked out a system whereby they figure out how dangerous your tweets are going to be by the number of links you have to other members of their blacklist.
What that means is they have people like blueharmony, Iamcuriousblue, Russell Blackford and Barbara Drescher listed as some of the worst of the worst, and people like Himmlersghost, a genuinely nasty shit of a troll, racist, anti-semitic etc, on the far end of the scale, as one of the most benign.
It would be useful to find out who exactly is using blockbot, for the simple reason of avoiding ever engaging them in conversation ever, just in case I might say something outside the proscribed acceptable topics, and their brain melts.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Angry_Drunk wrote:

Fuck you Pareshole. I tried to decipher that sentence, and now there's blood coming out of my earholes.
You think that's bad? Go to the blockbot site and try to decipher Oolon's replies to commentors....
Somebody says (in relation to the blockbot):
LOLZ all the way you guys. Nobody speaks during the sermons.
To which Oolon replies:
I’m pretty confident this numpty won’t let the irony of his comment being approved affect his opinion in the slightest.
HAHAHA!!!! What is Oolon trying to convey in this comment? Does he deny that he wants to silence people? If so then why the Blockbot?
What a complete and utter Oolon.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I'm reckon @Elevatorgate is school age and jumped on this bandwagon after seeing the bounteous troll harvests to be reaped from feminists.
(And I know it's immature and I know it's stupid.... But I did laugh at "Smellody" and "Rice Morgan". )
He does go too far though, sometimes. I once caught him tweeting to Natalie Reed about giving her the gift of heroin, or something like that. Wasn't impressed.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Rumor has it that Justin is going for a T-shirt with an understated and subtle message.

That was great!

And I'm admiring the ink. I'm guessing those arms aren't Justin's?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Also, what's the deal between EG and that Ambrosia bird? Is she like his big sister, or something?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

They seem to have worked out a system whereby they figure out how dangerous your tweets are going to be by the number of links you have to other members of their blacklist.
What that means is they have people like blueharmony, Iamcuriousblue, Russell Blackford and Barbara Drescher listed as some of the worst of the worst, and people like Himmlersghost, a genuinely nasty shit of a troll, racist, anti-semitic etc, on the far end of the scale, as one of the most benign.
It would be useful to find out who exactly is using blockbot, for the simple reason of avoiding ever engaging them in conversation ever, just in case I might say something outside the proscribed acceptable topics, and their brain melts.
If somebody is so patheticially childish, unsceptical, and indecisive that need some internet stranger to decide who can and can't contact them on Twitter then they're welcome to chums like Oolon.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

katamari Damassi wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:

That was great!

And I'm admiring the ink. I'm guessing those arms aren't Justin's?
It's not Justin.
Here's the original:
http://anvello.com/web/files/products/2 ... mage_1.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Have to say, I've got the impression that Oolon's seemed a bit despondent lately. Still, I'm sure these references to him in the Pit will help him get his pecker back up.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

:)

thanks has anyone that was a force de deliberate tour

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:I'm reckon @Elevatorgate is school age and jumped on this bandwagon after seeing the bounteous troll harvests to be reaped from feminists.
He does go too far though, sometimes. I once caught him tweeting to Natalie Reed about giving her the gift of heroin, or something like that. Wasn't impressed.
That's very cuntish.

I go too far on YouTube sometimes I suppose. Depends what mood I'm in and how hostile or irrelevant the comments section is.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:Have to say, I've got the impression that Oolon's seemed a bit despondent lately. Still, I'm sure these references to him in the Pit will help him get his pecker back up.
Apparently his neighbour, Nigel ,was arrested for burning a Koran and posting the ashes through the local community centre's letterbox and uploading the footage to Youtube. Oolon's worried he'll tell the police it was him holding the camera.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:Watson promoting 'BlockBot,' claiming people are "harassing" her

I'm the worst harasser ever...unless harassment is homeopathic in nature...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
That's very cuntish.

I go too far on YouTube sometimes I suppose. Depends what mood I'm in and how hostile or irrelevant the comments section is.
You don't say. I sometimes go too far as well. Last time was on a hicking trip, and guess what, no bus stops to get home!

(really, friday beer seems to imped on my social and internet skills. Alfo I dun't seam to spel good when drnuk)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Cunning Punt wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

I very recently cited Sally Strange in an approving manner. Would you consider that as another example of not having a "good" source?
Is this a trick question?
This is the one where you (i.e. AndrewV69) said she might become an MRA (snigger). Right.
Well, it might take a few years. I would not expect an overnight conversion. Of course I could also be completely wrong.
welch wrote:And, now we're playing that game. "I shall list every related action I've taken until I can find one where I was right, thereby showing all criticism of me to be wrong."

You have fun with that.
Wrong. I do not have the patience to play games.
welch wrote: You have a better chance of becoming a super hero after being bit by a radioactive wombat than understanding where I'm coming from on this.
I doubt that I am that obtuse. But whatever man.

Southern

Post by Southern »

justinvacula wrote:Angry Skeptic Woman is a #BraveHero
And I'm a #FearlessNinja!

(Sorry. Do carry on, please.)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Skeeve,
@d4m10n,
@Karmakin

Thanks for the feedback.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tony Parsehole wrote: If somebody is so patheticially childish, unsceptical, and indecisive that need some internet stranger to decide who can and can't contact them on Twitter then they're welcome to chums like Oolon.
The words on Twitter... THEY'RE KILLING ME!! PLEASE MAKE IT STOOOOOOP! TAKE THEM AWAAAAAAAY!!!!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Have to say, I've got the impression that Oolon's seemed a bit despondent lately. Still, I'm sure these references to him in the Pit will help him get his pecker back up.
Apparently his neighbour, Nigel ,was arrested for burning a Koran and posting the ashes through the local community centre's letterbox and uploading the footage to Youtube. Oolon's worried he'll tell the police it was him holding the camera.
Oolon is a #bravehero

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

d4m10n wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Oolon is a #bravehero
:rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

Yeah, that's right, three rimshots!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I could not resist.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

@Elevatorgate is a genuine troll, best ignored (like that will ever happen).
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Maybe you could ask Oolon to make you a Blockbot Blockbot? Or, as it's [meta], try John Morales.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BTW, these should not be called rimshots, but snareshots. And as far as I have performed them, they are snare/ snare/ tom (of your choice) /cymbal plus kick/.

Rimshots are an entirely different technique alright. Hold your drumstick with its butt in the middle of the snare, and hit its body on the rim of the snare.

Alternatively, don't play drums (saves time).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
:lol:

Is that story true?

If Oolon was involved with his usual level of competency he has nothing to worry about.
They probably burned a Kerrang.

:rimshot:

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

ERV wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
ERV wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Watson has had the media spotlight on herself and multiple chances to promote atheism and secularism amongst women.
Has she done anything other than, well, promote brand Rebecca Watson?
Which brings us back to the origin of the Slime Pit. She constantly makes decisions that go contrary to her supposed ideological agenda.
Wait a tiny second, there. The threads still exist intact with comments? Or just that one?
I put that one back up a long time ago because there were a lot of links to it, and I wanted my original commentary on this issue to be readily available.
Yay!

For the relative newcomers to the thread, here is the footage of Laden celebrating his personal (albeit temporary in hindsight) victory over free speech while the Skepchick audience cheers him on: (around 28:19 into the clip)

Rigid ideological conformity enforced by digital book burning, the effect of which was to take 16.6 megabytes of plain text off the web completely. That is what these people are actually applauding. They had no way of knowing, at the time, that the archives would reappear within weeks on Scented Nectar's site.

If any truly free thinkers ever needed a reason why these people must be fought tooth and nail, that should do it. There can be no freethought where there is no free expression.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: :lol:

Is that story true?

If Oolon was involved with his usual level of competency he has nothing to worry about.

Could be as good as true, according to Oolon's take on the matter. When I originally posted my twee little tales of Ooley's urban warriorship, he did wonder if I had been stalking him.

sacha

Post by sacha »

TedDahlberg wrote: In the first season I thought she looked frail to the point of breaking, but as the character has grown more assertive I have also found it/the actress proportionately more attractive. But try telling a SJW that beauty is more than skin deep…

hah! I had the same reaction

sacha

Post by sacha »

TedDahlberg wrote:
sacha wrote:
Wiki's definition of virility:
Virility (from the latin word "viri", meaning man or manly) refers to any of a wide range of masculine characteristics viewed positively...
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED1) says virile is "marked by strength or force."
Historically, masculine attributes such as beard growth have been seen as signs of virility.
I do love a beard
I grew a beard thirteen years ago because someone of a female persuasion said almost exactly those words to me. These days I'd feel naked without it.
I'm attracted to very masculine qualities. It's the differences between men and myself that I'm drawn to. I like at least some scruff, (what a few days of not shaving brings), I like chest hair, strong legs, big hands, I like antiperspirant without deodorant, Oh a love a man. vive la différence!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Sacha
I like chest hair
What about back, ballbag and arsecrack hair?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Seeing as the subject of trans came recently I am just going to drop this off.

Feminists assaulted in Transgender Attack at Portland conference for Social Change:
http://attackthesystem.com/2013/05/14/f ... c-markers/

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
:lol:

Is that story true?

LOL. Nah, it's not true. It was harking back to a little story Tigzy wrote about Oolon and his middle-class neighbour Nigel, who holds slightly racist views and fears that the working class might steal his boat, and how Oolon was too scared to pull him up on his beliefs in-case it upset the suburban tranquility.
Oolon keeps mentioning the story to this day so it obviously hit a nerve.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:BTW, these should not be called rimshots, but snareshots. And as far as I have performed them, they are snare/ snare/ tom (of your choice) /cymbal plus kick/.

Rimshots are an entirely different technique alright. Hold your drumstick with its butt in the middle of the snare, and hit its body on the rim of the snare.

Alternatively, don't play drums (saves time).
Fuck drums.
True gods of rock and roll play the bodhran!

[youtube]dMI4X8OOMOg[/youtube]

ROCK!!!!! ON!!!!!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Vacula's Twitter feed is quite interesting at the moment (cf. Zvan's). Looks like Ron Lindsay stands a good chance of being the next Witch of the Week.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Looks like things are kicking off at WISC2 - but it's Ron Lindsay that is lining up to take his place as witch of the week.

From Vacula's live tweeting of Lindsays speech:
2m

The dogmatists at #wiscfi who embrace tactics and dogmatism @RALindsay mentioned are quite upset :0
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 5m

Forced silence via dogmatists @RALindsay says is way to rob humanity, freedoms, autonomy #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 6m

Amanda Marcotte claims @RALindsay is strawmanning. Funny, I can show her many examples of privilege used to silence by dogmatists.. #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 7m

@RALindsay says approach of privilege used to silence is unacceptable, used by dogmatists to silence men #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 8m

Adam Lee upset with @RALindsay calls him "wishy washy" - oh no, Ron expresses skepticism and has open mind! #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 10m

@RALindsay says "pay gap" between men and women #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 11m

@RALindsay mentions "concept of privilege" which can be "misused to silence critics" #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 12m

@RALindsay says "sister punishers" when mentioning "sharp divisions" within feminism (some use term) :-) #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 14m

@RALindsay suggests defining social justice and setting aims may be complex #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 15m

@RALindsay suggests the root causes of oppression of women may be deeper than religion #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 16m

@RALindsay says #atheismplus intended to be divisive according to some proponents #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 17m

@RALindsay mentions #atheismplus, says CFI already involved with social justice issues #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 18m

@RALindsay says advancement of women's rights integral to CFI mission #wiscfi
Expand
Justin Vacula Justin Vacula ‏@justinvacula 21m

@ralindsay says oppression of women has long history in patriarchy #wiscfi
Expand

cunt

Post by cunt »

I'm not exactly in a position to criticise him for immature stupid names. It's the sheer determination to fuck up the twitter hashtag that makes me think he's nuts.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Vacula's Twitter feed is quite interesting at the moment (cf. Zvan's). Looks like Ron Lindsay stands a good chance of being the next Witch of the Week.
snap!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Vacula's Twitter feed is quite interesting at the moment (cf. Zvan's). Looks like Ron Lindsay stands a good chance of being the next Witch of the Week.
snap!
Looking at the hashtag, it seems Vacula is the only one who liked it. It has gone down like a lead balloon with Zvan, Lee, Marcotte, Myers...

sacha

Post by sacha »

Tigzy wrote:@Sacha
I like chest hair
awww, Tigz
I'm sure I'd like yours.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/pRlKKER.jpg

Yes, but why wait till he's spoken before you complain about it...
Specifically when he's just pointed out that your standard operating procedures are dishonest.

I think the wind has turned on the FTB mob. TAM is FTB free and Peezus' tantrum and divorce from skepticism has left them bereft of any real clout in the movement ouside their own private fiefdoms of skepticon and skepchickcon.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Surly Amy on stage now, debunking homeopathy for the 1,000,000th time.

jmpea81

Post by jmpea81 »

ooloon's reaction to Justin Vacula's "thumbs up" for Ron Lindsay's speech is hilarious to see:

https://twitter.com/ool0n/status/335456755184189441

Of course. The value of a speech is determined by the people who like it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Strawkins and Absurd

Post links thou cunts ere I twat thee.

jmpea81

Post by jmpea81 »

cunt wrote:Surly Amy on stage now, debunking homeopathy for the 1,000,000th time.
Next up: A talk on Big Foot skepticism, followed by a panel of people who are skeptical of Bigfoot skepticism from a feminist perspective.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

sacha wrote:
Tigzy wrote:@Sacha
I like chest hair
awww, Tigz
I'm sure I'd like yours.
You can have it all if you like. Lord knows, I need to get rid of it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jmpea81 wrote:
cunt wrote:Surly Amy on stage now, debunking homeopathy for the 1,000,000th time.
Next up: A talk on Big Foot skepticism
Beat me to it.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

This doesn't hurt my head now that I know how keen to misrepresent people Marcotte is:
Amanda Marcotte ‏@AmandaMarcotte 4m
In my experience, a lot of creationist fundies somehow still embrace evo psych. Always entertaining! #WISCFI

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/FEcv69K.jpg

Remember everyone, the important thing is not what people say, but what side they've picked!

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wiscfi&src=hash

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I've had to explain homeopathy to clinicians. When I ask graduate students if they know what it means, very few do. Until it means the same thing as "snake oil" to most anyone who walks into the corner druggist, this talk needs to happen.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/FEcv69K.jpg

Remember everyone, the important thing is not what people say, but what side they've picked!

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wiscfi&src=hash
Such unfailing scepticism.