Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Congrats on the invite to Melodies WISC hotel room party!
http://i.imgur.com/JQTLB1U.jpg

That guy, next to Ophelia, is exactly how I picture Aratina Cage in my head - at least in terms of mad facial expressions.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Does anyone know how to return to the old tabs layout in Chrome? Because the sites I usually visit was replaced with stock-sites I don't, and I can't see how to remove them either. Help?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Nevermind. Figured it out. But I still don't know how to remove the tabs I DON'T use.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Congrats on the invite to Melodies WISC hotel room party!
http://i.imgur.com/JQTLB1U.jpg

That guy, next to Ophelia, is exactly how I picture Aratina Cage in my head - at least in terms of mad facial expressions.
That's Aratina? :lol: Now I imagine him with that dishevelled look, and the mad eyes, posting a long, ranting screed. It's kind of freaking me out.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

On Dawkins and the Courtier's reply:
(I've been ummm-ing and ahhh-ing about saying this for a few days now.)

I think the Courtier's reply is a valid rebuttal to people who point to theological sources in response to Dawkins' arguments about the nonexistence of God. The issue I take however is that Dawkins does not stop there. He typically goes on to make claims about the morality of God if he were to exist. The problem with this is that the question of whether (for example) it was immoral for God to ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac is a very different sort of question than that of whether there is a God. Most importantly, if you want to try to interpret the morality of God's mythologised behaviour then you have to accept as a (hypothetical) premise that he exists. As soon as you have done that the arguments from theologians do become relevant again.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AbsurdWalls wrote:On Dawkins and the Courtier's reply:

I think the Courtier's reply is a valid rebuttal to people who point to theological sources in response to Dawkins' arguments about the nonexistence of God. The issue I take however is that Dawkins does not stop there. He typically goes on to make claims about the morality of God if he were to exist. The problem with this is that the question of whether (for example) it was immoral for God to ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac is a very different sort of question than that of whether there is a God. Most importantly, if you want to try to interpret the morality of God's mythologised behaviour then you have to accept as a (hypothetical) premise that he exists. As soon as you have done that the arguments from theologians do become relevant again.
Does that really follow?
That sounds like making an argument about the morality of any fictional character.
It is easy to make an argument about the morality of Zeus, Thor, Heathcliffe from Wuthering Heights or some character from a Jane Austen Novel (in fact this latter case has been used as an example by the arab writer Edward Said - namely the fact that the rich country estates of many of her stories were wealthy because the landed gentry had a steady income coming from their slave plantations in the West Indies.) But we realize that all these, in the stories at least, are fictional characters.
Theologians don't tend to discuss their deities and its associated morality, as a fictional device, so dismissing the existence of God using the courtiers reply is a very strong blow to the attempts of theologians to argue about the deities morality.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Nah, it's just Dawkins elaborating on the question commonly put to him by Christians, "what if you're wrong?" It has worth in that it disarms the theists' main argument, the existence of God, and Dawkins has said that because of these reasons he wouldn't worship the Christian god even if he *did* exist.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote: That's Aratina? :lol: Now I imagine him with that dishevelled look, and the mad eyes, posting a long, ranting screed. It's kind of freaking me out.
I don't think it is Aratina - I've no idea who it is, he just has an expression that fits with Aratina's freaked out online writings.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

There seems to be some drinking in that picture. Beware of unwanted sex!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Hey, maybe Ophie's got a point about Justin after all:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 7b73db.jpg

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

justinvacula wrote:From Fire & Sage restaurant prior to #WIScfi

http://i.imgur.com/yeHkOze.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3OSs3K9.jpg
The photos don't show much to the sides of you. Do you each have guns pointed at you with instructions to smile and say you're fine? Wink once for yes, twice for no. Three times if you need a rescue team sent in.
;)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Scented Nectar wrote:

The photos don't show much to the sides of you. Do you each have guns pointed at you with instructions to smile and say you're fine? Wink once for yes, twice for no. Three times if you need a rescue team sent in.
;)
My first thought was: "Justin, dude, what a fugly shirt you have". Then I realised it was just him holding the menu. The sad part of it? It's actually what happened. I really did believe the menu was the shirt design.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I don't see why this is a problem. The issue is that the courtier completely ignores Dawkins arguments on the non-existence of god and focuses solely on his (apparently oh so) unsophisticated arguments about the morality of god should it exist.

It's not saying that theologians would always be irrelevant in a discussion of gods behaviour.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Also, Justin and Karla, enjoy your time there, and please make a fair and balanced report. I think nothing would hurt the SJW more than that*.

*not being serious or rational here, just jocular.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

In fact, there don't seem to be any other human beings in that restaurant. That's just stage....wait a minute, Google says Fire and Sage is in SIBERIA!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Oi, Vacula!
Hands on the table please!
People might think you're playing with your Peezus!
:handgestures-thumbup:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Jonathan wrote:Over at FTB, Ally Fogg continues to talk sense.
That's great, however, first we must solve the problem of bear misogyny.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jonathan wrote:Over at FTB, Ally Fogg continues to talk sense.
I'm really starting to like that guy a lot. I will say for the first time: well done FTB with enrolling him.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

I very recently cited Sally Strange in an approving manner. Would you consider that as another example of not having a "good" source?
Is this a trick question?
This is the one where you (i.e. AndrewV69) said she might become an MRA (snigger). Right.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I believe it is called confirmation bias.
I'm aware of the term and the concept.

Your relentless use of it makes it difficult to take your links seriously.
Always show your source my man.

Now, just for the sake of argument. If Dobson and Greenwald both happened to agree with me on something, would it make any difference to you which source I quoted?

@Skeeve, how about you?
quoting your sources is only of use if your sources are worth a fuck. And to be blunt, you suck at vetting sources. You confuse having sources with having good ones. There's a difference, you may wish to ponder that.

Dobson is an idiot, and a dominionist one at that. his list of prejudices encompasses everyone and everything that isn't the same flavor christian he is.

Greenwald is regularly not stupid, and so his points are decent on a fairly regular basis. Dobson? if he told me the sky is still blue, i'd check.
I very recently cited Sally Strange in an approving manner. Would you consider that as another example of not having a "good" source?
And, now we're playing that game. "I shall list every related action I've taken until I can find one where I was right, thereby showing all criticism of me to be wrong."

You have fun with that.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Is this a trick question?
In a manner of speaking I suppose it is, although that was not my purpose when I asked it.

Bear in mind I think I know where welsh is coming from. For example I would not use PeeeZuss Christ as a source for anything myself. So I am not unsympathetic. Another example is Stephen Jay Gould.

I am pretty sure that if you cite Gould as an authority in anything I am pretty much going to ignore whatever you have to say, unless of course you are an Evolutionary Biologist and the subject is Punctuated Equilibrium.

You have a better chance of becoming a super hero after being bit by a radioactive wombat than understanding where I'm coming from on this.

Slither

Post by Slither »

welch wrote:You have a better chance of becoming a super hero after being bit by a radioactive wombat than understanding where I'm coming from on this.
Alas, there's never a wombat around when you need one.

welch

Post by welch »

Slither wrote:
welch wrote:You have a better chance of becoming a super hero after being bit by a radioactive wombat than understanding where I'm coming from on this.
Alas, there's never a wombat around when you need one.
Fucking wombats

Southern

Post by Southern »

Red eyes... it's clear now: Justin Vacula is The Devil.

That's what's getting poor good Ophelia. SHE FEARS DEMONIC POSSESSION! VADE RETRO, VACULA!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Southern wrote:

That's what's getting poor good Ophelia. SHE FEARS DEMONIC POSSESSION! VADE RETRO, VACULA!
I thought "Vade Retro!" was Greta's line.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Abby Fogg's is like an alternate universe FreeThoughtsBlog site.
Ally Fogg wrote:Dear Diane Abbott
This week you took the opportunity presented by a speech at Demos to say some things I have been waiting to hear a British politician say for a long time, and for that I thank you. I’m particularly grateful for the attention you gave to the excellent work of the Men’s Health Forum, and their report which reminds us that men are more likely to take their own lives than women, have lower educational attainment at all levels of the education system, are more likely to be homeless, and are less likely to access NHS services.

MOAR

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Aneris wrote:Found this and it is perhaps of interest:

Debate between Steven Pinker and Elizabeth Spelke

youtube FJClNSkFPwE /youtube
I will have to watch this later, darn technical conference.

And found Judith Butler explain the concept of gender performance. I actually think it is compatible with Pinkers line of arguments. The apparent contradictions can be resolved when taking his statistics (i.e. normal distribution) into account, and how expectations out of "normality" might feedback into actual performances.

youtube Bo7o2LYATDc /youtube
Sure. Judith Butler mentions psychiatry enforcement of gender roles, you'll want to read http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... nder+shock A woman is forced into an institution because she is not gender normative.
and you will want to read some of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Bornstein since you are interested in "gender as a performance". I'd recommend http://www.amazon.com/Gender-Outlaw-Men ... 0679757015 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/041591 ... BXCPM0V80J

Further you might enjoy this article http://www.autostraddle.com/im-a-trans- ... es-172570/

Back to my conference.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Dave wrote:
Southern wrote:

Pistols at 6 paces? Or perhaps FOOD FIGHT!

I am sure someone can do something with the photos now.

Post by Guest »

bovarchist wrote:Read somewhere, don't remember where, that it's not how many papers that matters but how often they're cited. Anyone want to research how Dawkins v Myers plays out by that measurement?
I can find 15 papers by PZ All dated pre 1993 by the way. With about 1460 citations. (i do not include papers with only one citation)
PZ MYERS PAPERS wrote:Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish
SE Stachel, DJ Grunwald, PZ Myers - Development, 1993 - dev.biologists.org
Cited 405

Development and axonal outgrowth of identified motoneurons in the zebrafish
PZ Myers, JS Eisen, M Westerfield - The Journal of neuroscience, 1986 - Soc Neuroscience
Cited 299

Pathway selection by growth cones of identified motoneurones in live zebra fish embryos
JS Eisen, PZ Myers, M Westerfield - Nature, 1986 - nature.com
Cited 262

Primary neurons that express the L2/HNK-1 carbohydrate during early development in the zebrafish
WK Metcalfe, PZ Myers, B Trevarrow, MB Bass… - …, 1990 - dev.biologists.org
Cited 193
Spinal motoneurons of the larval zebrafish
PZ Myers - Journal of Comparative Neurology, 1985 - Wiley Online Library
Cited 119

Growth cone dynamics during the migration of an identified commissural growth cone
PZ Myers, MJ Bastiani - The Journal of neuroscience, 1993 - Soc Neuroscience
Cited 94

Cell-cell interactions during the migration of an identified commissural growth cone in the embryonic grasshopper
PZ Myers, MJ Bastiani - The Journal of neuroscience, 1993 - Soc Neuroscience
Cited 31

CHROMPAC III: an improved package for microcomputer assisted analysis of karyotypes
DM Green, PZ Myers, DL Reyna - Journal of Heredity, 1984 - Am Genetic Assoc
Cited 13

NeuroVideo: a program for capturing and processing time-lapse video
PZ Myers, MJ Bastiani - Computer methods and programs in biomedicine, 1991 – Elsevier
Cited 13

Morphology and development of motoneurons in the zebrafish spinal cord
PZ Myers - Soc. Neurosci. Abstr, 1983
Cited 7

Segmentally specific growth of motor axons in live zebrafish embryos
JS Eisen, PZ Myers, M Westerfield - Soc. Neurosci. Abstr, 1984
Cited 5

Calcium signals monitored from leopard frog optic tectum after the optic nerve has been selectively loaded with calcium sensitive dye
EA Dudkin, PZ Myers, JA Ramirez-Latorre… - Neuroscience …, 1998 – Elsevier
Cited 5
Polyneuronal and intersegmental innervation of body muscles in the zebrafish
M Westerfield, PZ Myers, JS Eisen - Sot. Neurosci. Abstr, 1984
Cited 3
Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pre
SE Stachel, DJ Grunwald, PZ Myers – 1993
Cited 2
Functional interactions between identified growth c ones and muscles in embryonic zebrafish
JS Eisen, PZ Myers, M Westerfield - Soc. Neurosci. Abstr, 1985
Cited 2
Automated analysis of spontaneous motor activity in the embryonic zebrafish, Danio rerio
PZ Myers, BA Sipple, T Hasaka, H Qutub - Journal of computer-assisted …, 1997 - cat.inist.fr
Cited 6

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archiv ... ed/275782/
I'm not sure if anyone has linked this yet but this is a very good article in 'The Atlantic', written by Wendy Kaminer.

It's about proposals for strict speech and anti-harrassment codes that are being enforced in US universities in recent years.
Among the forms of expression now punishable on America's campuses by order of the federal government are:

• Any expression related to sexual topics that offends any person. This leaves a wide range of expressive activity—a campus performance of "The Vagina Monologues," a presentation on safe sex practices, a debate about sexual morality, a discussion of gay marriage, or a classroom lecture on Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita—subject to discipline.
• Any sexually themed joke overheard by any person who finds that joke offensive for any reason.
• Any request for dates or any flirtation that is not welcomed by the recipient of such a request or flirtation.

There is likely no student on any campus anywhere who is not guilty of at least one of these "offenses." Any attempt to enforce this rule evenhandedly and comprehensively will be impossible.
Remind you of anything?

The idea that there is some tiny argument between a couple of freethought bloggers and a few of their opponents is how this seems to be presented in the online atheist community.
It is much wider than that and is closer to the re-emergence of post-modernism following its temporary setback at the hands of Alan Sokal.
There are many examples now of mainstream articles that echo the sentiments that led to the formation of this forum, ironically, as in the linked piece, written by progressive leftists who actually do apply skepticism to political ideologies.

Is Wendy Kaminer calling for the freedom to sexually harrass women - as Amanda Marcotte seems to think any questioning of these policies seem to imply?
Is she demanding that man are allowed to treat women as mere fucktoys - as Peezus ('lets-do-the-sex-thing-later') Myers likes to claim?

http://humanrightshouse.org/files/thumb ... 5x225.jpeg
Gender Traitor!

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
Now, just for the sake of argument. If Dobson and Greenwald both happened to agree with me on something, would it make any difference to you which source I quoted?

@Skeeve, how about you?
I'm sure there is a possibility that Fred Phelps may say something I agree with. I wouldn't quote him.

Reliability and a good history of honesty is what I look for if I feel the need for citations. Agreeing with myself or my arguments isn't an automatic pass.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I'd quote the shit out of Phelps. He is one of the world’s foremost experts on how the Bible encourages people to hate one another, something that many of my more touchy-feely progressive freethinking friends like to try to overlook.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:it's one reason why In general, I rarely read anything you link to. You're too goddamned lazy about the process. As soon as it supports your worldview, you're done looking.
I believe it is called confirmation bias.
I'm aware of the term and the concept.

Your relentless use of it makes it difficult to take your links seriously.
Always show your source my man.

@Skeeve, how about you?
quoting your sources is only of use if your sources are worth a fuck. And to be blunt, you suck at vetting sources. You confuse having sources with having good ones. There's a difference, you may wish to ponder that.

Dobson is an idiot, and a dominionist one at that. his list of prejudices encompasses everyone and everything that isn't the same flavor christian he is.

Greenwald is regularly not stupid, and so his points are decent on a fairly regular basis. Dobson? if he told me the sky is still blue, i'd check.
Greenwald comes across as a pretty big ideologue to me as well (even if I lean to his side most of the time), so I generally recheck his stuff as well. He's usually right on the big concepts, but too often he's wrong on the details.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

If nothing else, it provokes an argument about what those odious verse are and what they meant in their original cultural context. This is an argument worth having, in a State where the highest public officials sincerely quote the Bible in from inside the Capitol rotunda.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

First video from WISC2 - Rebecca (with a special appearance by Peezus) tells us what she wants from the atheist movement.

[youtube]TRTkCHE1sS4[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Continuing the theme from the previous post, I think I've found the first recorded live interaction between Abbie and Rebecca. :D

[youtube]Z9obgyYB1IU[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
sacha wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
sacha wrote: Don't shove meat in my face
And here was I thinking you liked dominant men.
that's a different kettle of fish. I should have specified dead flesh as opposed to virile

Wiki's definition of virility:
Virility (from the latin word "viri", meaning man or manly) refers to any of a wide range of masculine characteristics viewed positively...
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED1) says virile is "marked by strength or force."
Historically, masculine attributes such as beard growth have been seen as signs of virility.
I do love a beard
also, I should one day introduce you to Jim Dalrymple. THat man has a BEARD.
his is a bit too ZZ Top for me.

LOL. ALthough having actually seen him play guitar, it's a pretty solid comparison.

welch

Post by welch »

Dave wrote:
Southern wrote:

Wouldn't that be "¿Rape Por Favor?"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

"vade retro" = "go backwards".

See what I mean? *wink wink, nudge nudge*.

welch

Post by welch »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/strang ... ?track=rss

The story is funny, but I wonder how FTB et al will manage to blame the man, if the notice it at all?

(Of course, by posting it here, I know they'll read it within five minutes)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Has Vacula actually posted what its going to say on his t-shirts yet?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

cunt wrote:Has Vacula actually posted what its going to say on his t-shirts yet?
I am Vacula.

Ah. Ah. Ah.

Talk to me about feminism....if you dare!

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Or that quote that Marcotte mined. May as well go for broke.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Vacula, if you're reading, check out this old post by Marcotte - right from the outset of Elevatorgate.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/05/p ... plication/

She should be careful about calling Rebecca Watson "the bitch" - in case someone decides to apply the same standards of quote-mining that she herself uses.
It's interesting to read this at this stage.
Two years on from Elevatorgate and we've progressed not a jot.
Watson has had the media spotlight on herself and multiple chances to promote atheism and secularism amongst women.
Has she done anything other than, well, promote brand Rebecca Watson?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Seeing as he logged in and out again without answering...

[youtube]BZwuTo7zKM8[/youtube]

Dave

Post by Dave »

welch wrote:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/strang ... ?track=rss

The story is funny, but I wonder how FTB et al will manage to blame the man, if the notice it at all?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-1 ... -bradenton
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-1 ... ht-scratch
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-0 ... y-deputies

What the fuck is going on down there in Florida? Is it something in the water?

I blame the Matriarchy.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Dave wrote:

I blame the Matriarchy.
It is known.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Fucks sake Justin. Just say if you chickened out over the t-shirts. According to RocketHub some stupid bastard did pay you to wear them.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Paul Fidalgo bemoans detractors?

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/5_17_13/

"For live updates, images, and bad jokes, watch the Twitter hashtag #wiscfi (knowing that it will also have its share of detractors in the stream) and the official CFI Twitter account @center4inquiry...which is me!"

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Melody Hensley is happy to tweet the 'livebloggers' but there is no mention of Brave Hero Radio reporting as far as I know. Is CFI for open exchange of ideas from varying perspectives or will they only link perspectives they agree with?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

cunt wrote:Fucks sake Justin. Just say if you chickened out over the t-shirts. According to RocketHub some stupid bastard did pay you to wear them.
That was me. His shirt for tonight is a nice positive message.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Watson has had the media spotlight on herself and multiple chances to promote atheism and secularism amongst women.
Which brings us back to the origin of the Slime Pit. She constantly makes decisions that go contrary to her supposed ideological agenda.

Rebecca promoting Rebecca was something that I was perfectly happy to ignore for *years*... until she started attacking students. It still pisses me off. I dont particularly care about her trying to go after Dawkins or Krauss or all of us-- It pisses me off to no fucking end that a grown ass woman made a conscious decision to attack kids when she had every opportunity on Earth to address the issue in an adult manner.

If she *genuinely* cared about feminism and secularism/atheism/skepticism, there is *no way* she would have done what she did.

But she did.

Because she doesnt.

cunt

Post by cunt »

d4m10n wrote:
cunt wrote:Fucks sake Justin. Just say if you chickened out over the t-shirts. According to RocketHub some stupid bastard did pay you to wear them.
That was me. His shirt for tonight is a nice positive message.
What does it say? Did you pay for the other days too?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Fucking hell, you'd think I was asking for his bank account details.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

You'll see. (It's gonna, gonna, gonna...it's gonna be me.)

welch

Post by welch »

Dave wrote:

I blame the Matriarchy.

It's florida. Shit is crazy here.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

ERV wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Watson has had the media spotlight on herself and multiple chances to promote atheism and secularism amongst women.
Which brings us back to the origin of the Slime Pit. She constantly makes decisions that go contrary to her supposed ideological agenda.
Wait a tiny second, there. The threads still exist intact with comments? Or just that one?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
ERV wrote:
Wait a tiny second, there. The threads still exist intact with comments? Or just that one?
I put that one back up a long time ago because there were a lot of links to it, and I wanted my original commentary on this issue to be readily available.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ERV wrote:

Rebecca promoting Rebecca was something that I was perfectly happy to ignore for *years*... until she started attacking students. It still pisses me off. I dont particularly care about her trying to go after Dawkins or Krauss or all of us-- It pisses me off to no fucking end that a grown ass woman made a conscious decision to attack kids when she had every opportunity on Earth to address the issue in an adult manner.

If she *genuinely* cared about feminism and secularism/atheism/skepticism, there is *no way* she would have done what she did.

But she did.

Because she doesnt.
"...grown ass woman..." There's your problem right there.
Chronologically, legally yes, but in reality most of these people have the emotional maturity of (I'm being generous here) thirteen year-olds. I keep using the phrase "overgrown children' but when you think of them that way their behavior actually becomes explicable.