Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by jimthepleb »

ophelia smells of rose water and knicker elastic.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

bhoytony wrote:Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.
Nice catch.

But good to see that Pinker raises that flag [@ 23:50] in support of Shermer. Considering that many in the rad-fem-sisterhood got their panties in a twist over Harriet Hall’s “I’m not a skepchick” T-shirt – likely to be a hot seller at the next TAM – one can expect similar histrionics over Pinker’s comments.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/22/d ... Cc.twitter

Wherein she accuses Dr. Hall of trying to denigrate women's roles in skepticism as an attempt to garner attention as a "token". You know what Marcotte: FUCK YOU. You refer to any woman who disagrees with yours or your allies' shameful tactics of doxxing, lying about people and bullying while claiming the mantle of victimhood as "gender traitors", "chill girls" and now "tokens"? Again: FUCK YOU.

You DO NOT represent us, stop trying to pretend like you give a shit about any woman other than yourself. The fact that you would use derogatory terms towards other women in the skeptic scene while trying to pretend you act on behalf of all women interested and involved in skepticism is nothing but your own ego-trip messiah complex kicking in.

Oh, and if I didn't make it clear already: FUCK YOU.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Surprise, the Harlem Shake is the next "bad thing" on the A+ forums: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4026

Some gems:
Grimalkin wrote:TL;DR: White people appropriate black culture, PoC are righly disgusted.
ceepolk wrote:what the hell

dare I ask what the hell white people are doing in these videos to get that kind of reaction

no wait don't tell me, I wanna stay ignorant
Xanthe wrote:Yes, this is not just a cute bit of cultural appropriation, it needs to be stamped on. Moves like the Harlem shake or Harlem shuffle were already in Hip Hop music; flailing about randomly is not how you do it.
Sylvia Sybil wrote:Naming it after an established dance that belongs to POC just seems like deliberate mockery to me.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

16bitheretic wrote:So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

Wherein she accuses Dr. Hall of trying to denigrate women's roles in skepticism as an attempt to garner attention as a "token". You know what Marcotte: FUCK YOU. You refer to any woman who disagrees with yours or your allies' shameful tactics of doxxing, lying about people and bullying while claiming the mantle of victimhood as "gender traitors", "chill girls" and now "tokens"? Again: FUCK YOU.

You DO NOT represent us, stop trying to pretend like you give a shit about any woman other than yourself. The fact that you would use derogatory terms towards other women in the skeptic scene while trying to pretend you act on behalf of all women interested and involved in skepticism is nothing but your own ego-trip messiah complex kicking in.

[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]

Lurkion

Re: derp

Post by Lurkion »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Apples wrote:Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
http://skepchick.org/2013/02/bad-chart- ... y-edition/
http://www.freezepage.com/1361568795LVGMNCLQJH
I've never read skepchick, so that feature was news to me.
The horizontal axis is amount spent on the game and the vertical axis is hours spent on the game
I wonder whether she knows that there's a way of making graphs that means you don't need to SAY that.

I have a bit of an OCD issue regarding graphs so I am actually a bit tempted to make a nice version of that one with labelled axes and pictures of the box art for each game replacing the data points.

I have emailed journalists before with "good" versions of shitty graphs they have put in their online posts and a suggestion they might want to use them as a replacement. It might be a problem that I have.
OI. Leave her alone! It's bad chart Thursday! So she makes a bad chart.

And, fuck, that chart is bad. Don't ever call Skepchick false advertisers! (Except for the whole "Skep" part, but what do you do when someone's already trademarked something inaccurate?)

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

16bitheretic wrote:So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

I'm sick of these fucking fucks scaring away young (or old) women from the community by suggesting it's a pit (lol) of misogyny.

FUCKING FUCKS. Stop ruining the community. People made a community because we think it can do good things, including the promotion of reason and science, but you fucking fucks just come in and shit on it with your gender feminism nonsense.

Fuck.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ophelia smells of wet clothes and dirty cat litter.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]
"Stop asserting your manhood!" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:clap:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Metalogic42 wrote:Surprise, the Harlem Shake is the next "bad thing" on the A+ forums: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4026
ceepolk wrote:what the hell

dare I ask what the hell white people are doing in these videos to get that kind of reaction

no wait don't tell me, I wanna stay ignorant
http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/ceepig.jpg
For you ceepolk, staying ignorant will be no problem.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

jimthepleb wrote:[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]
"Stop asserting your manhood!" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:clap:

Notice the sign?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Badger3k wrote:
Apples wrote:Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
http://skepchick.org/2013/02/bad-chart- ... y-edition/
http://www.freezepage.com/1361568795LVGMNCLQJH
It's pretty bad on the SGU (well, when I last listened to it, months ago) when Watson tried to pretend she was a geek - she has zero cred, compared to the brothers, who are real geeks (or nerds, I don't care for whatever difference people want to make). They know the movies, games, memes, etc. Watson is a wannabe.

Now she wants to pretend to be a gamer too? Blech.
Actually, what I find kinda funny is that she's almost finished Borderlands 2, but hasn't really said much about it, considering that there have been some SJW groups up in arms about it about various characterizations of it. (Tiny Tina and Elle, for those who have played the game) Truth be told, I'm not really surprised...I've said it before and I'll say it again that Watson is a bit of a poser when it comes to SJW-dom. She does it for the trolly lulz, more or less, but generally speaking she's a tourist.

But, I don't think it's fair to say that she's "pretending" to be a gamer. Sounds like she just has different tastes, that's all. My wife is a gamer, she just prefers her Loot-based games and open-world violence simulators over typical FPS or RTS games (although she's getting into League of Legends).

But yeah. Someone who is that obsessed with FTL is more certainly a gamer. It's not fair to say otherwise.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

rocko2466 wrote:[

I'm sick of these fucking fucks scaring away young (or old) women from the community by suggesting it's a pit (lol) of misogyny.

FUCKING FUCKS. Stop ruining the community. People made a community because we think it can do good things, including the promotion of reason and science, but you fucking fucks just come in and shit on it with your gender feminism nonsense.

Fuck.
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm right in the target demographic you mention: millenial female skeptic/atheist, and I have ZERO interest in aligning with people who hide behind victimhood while slandering, witch-hunting and bullying other people. I can't imagine I'm the only one of my peers who feels this way.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

rocko2466 wrote:

Fuck.
As an old long-term reader of Marcotte, when it comes to good, old-fashioned bigotry, she's second to none. There's never been a box too small to put entire classifications of people into for her tastes.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

16bitheretic wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:[

Fuck.
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm right in the target demographic you mention: millenial female skeptic/atheist, and I have ZERO interest in aligning with people who hide behind victimhood while slandering, witch-hunting and bullying other people. I can't imagine I'm the only one of my peers who feels this way.
They have destroyed the community i had great fondness for and for that I will never forgive them, this (as i have said before) is hypoagency in action and it incredibly destructive. As a leftie Brit and an active pro-European I have see this shit happen time and time again, finally i'm off my arse and doing something about it. If tweeting, writing and bitching count as doing something. IRL i also have this battle constantly in the education system as i watch my boys (and to a lesser extent my girl) being battered with this utter bollocks as part of their 'education'
That and 70hrs a week of tit fondling are frankly becoming exhausting.

aqi

Post by aqi »

Steersman wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.
Considering Rebecca Watson boasted that she was in Boston working for the Point of Interest podcast as their Live Twatter )what?) and her well-connected CFI boyfriend (see a trend?) was doing the filming of the event, she would have been front and centre to get schooled about it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

from Marcotte's hit piece (emphasis mine):
Obviously, it’s a disingenuous argument, because she is, by heavily and repeatedly and rather aggressively criticizing them, trying to stop them from having a conference addressing women in secularism. She is objecting to it. She explains her reasons why: She thinks it’s divisive and balkanizing, which is only the case, I’ll point out, if people who prefer the status quo of male dominance throw a fit. (As demonstrated in the liberal blogosphere, when everyone is on board with the “more women” goal, it tends to create more harmony and more friendships.)
???

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Staks Rosch was witch of the weeked by Greta and Rebecca for using 'token language.' We shall now wait for Marcotte to be rebuked by her fellow feminists...

*crickets*

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Witch ... _1.2C_2012

codelette

Post by codelette »

Marcotte wrote another pile of turd?
So, what else is new?
Talking about some of her most idiotic writings, I was trying to find one in which she was discussing her non-abortion for her non-pregnancy (found excerpts, but not the whole thing). She was trying to get an ex boytoy to pay for it. You go, girl!
Really, a big dramatic entry for the time she had to plan an abortion even before confirming if she was even pregnant.

I believe the whole point was another megadramatic rant about how sonograms imposed on women requesting abortions were some sort of mental punishment. If one gets all traumatized from looking at a sonogram of a tadpole, one should skip the whole vacuuming of the womb.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:If you're setting up the site I can help with identifying accessibility issues/putting together basic accessibility guidelines for bloggers.
That would be a really cool idea. In fact, if you know of a good, easy to follow checklist for people who want to be sure existing stuff is "accessibility good", links would be quite welcome.
I generally go from my experience... I really should design some kind of checklist that covers the basics in a *basic* way... a lot of shit winds up being pretty technical.

Linkwise, a good spot is here: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/tools/complete - you'll get automated web accessibility checkers. These are good for checking code and ensuring you haven't fucked up anything there... but I'd probably recommend you go through pages manually to check that what the report is telling you is actually correct. (Most accessibility experts I've met seem to agree that a lot of the time you have to do it the fucky way.) For instance it might say you haven't labelled an image... but the image in question is something dumbass that doesn't need to be labelled or have alt text, or pick up on a colour contrast within an image... or fail to with an overlay.

Colour wise my favourite tool has been the colour contrast tool from Vision Australia: http://www.visionaustralia.org/business ... -web-pages - it's more hands on than most things that just check and leave you a list of shit that is wrong. You can also purchase different types of glasses from Vision Australia - and presumably other organisations that look at vision areas - if you're really keen which will replicate the experiences people with vision problems have so you can test the site. So there's my major recommendation, it's good for choosing the colour scheme as well while designing.

A good rule of thumb for any bloggers is to think about the two common problems that fuck people using the web - being vision impaired or having arthritis or another condition that makes it difficult to use a mouse. Labelling everything with logical shit people need to know ("This graph shows the disitribution of X in this situation. Features of this graph include... blurghy blurgh" as opposed to "GRAPH OF X.") and to ensure links are descriptive is a good first step. And if in doubt, use alt text. For people with mobility issues make sure you don't have any keyboard traps (try tabbing about the page and making sure you can get to every link IN A LOGICAL ORDER) and that you have a skip nav option so people can jump straight to the text rather than blurging through the top links every time. Captioning for videos and/or transcripts is the main concern for those with hearing impairments.

Depending on your target/location you may or may not have to worry about technology limitations and things like broadband speed - for example making sure you don't need javascript turned on, and that your pages still work with page styles turned off (as much as possible). Keeping things focussed on content and not on big whizzy shit (unless you absolutely need to) is best. There's a lot of speedtest things as well that can help you organise what's loaded to your website to keep the load-time down so people don't leave the site before it loads. There is a HUGEEEEE improvement to site stats and visits just by lowering your site load time by a few seconds. Unbelievable shit... it's hugely important... so make sure the improtant content loads before the big images and backgrounds and other shit your designers felt was TOTES NECESSARY.

There's also http://webtoolkit DOT govt.nz/ if you're interested in a government perspective on what is the baseline for compliance - it looks to get WCAG 2.0 AA standard. Obvs getting to AAA is ideal, but it's sometimes not possible.

The bottom line of it all is that if people can't access your site quickly and efficiently, they'll leave, and you won't see them again. They won't even remember anything about your site because they probaly didn't GET anything from your site. So without basic accessibility you're just fucking yourself over.

Well that was a llot of blah.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jimthepleb wrote:http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/ ... 68x704.jpg
for lsuoma
Don't thank me.
You a SO close to getting banned for that one, fuckhead!!!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Lsuoma wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/ ... 68x704.jpg
for lsuoma
Don't thank me.
You a SO close to getting banned for that one, fuckhead!!!
"Fuckhead" Aww you nazi moderators are so cute when you're angry;)
It was more an attempt to get a new thread started, the precedent was clearly set last thread.
Ban me if you wish though, every other fucker is at the moment. :dance:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

incidentally i'm having a problem spotting where the leather starts and finishes in that img...

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Hey Vacula, I notice you still haven't subscribed to me either. With someone of your popularity my channel could...

Nevermind.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Bizarrely 'anne robinson rule 34' turns up absolutely NO satisfactory images whatsoever... colour me unsurprised. Like you lsuoma I find the woman heinous in mind body and spirit.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Submariner wrote:Hey Vacula, I notice you still haven't subscribed to me either. With someone of your popularity my channel could...

Nevermind.
Dude rule 1...never beg
ever
cmon you know this shit. :hankey:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

jimthepleb wrote:
Submariner wrote:Hey Vacula, I notice you still haven't subscribed to me either. With someone of your popularity my channel could...

Nevermind.
Dude rule 1...never beg
ever
cmon you know this shit. :hankey:
Really? That's what you got from my post?

A little less bitters before reading mkay?