Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
Michael K Gray

Conferences

Post by Michael K Gray »

BarnOwl wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?
It would make far more sense to get someone from one of the world-class Universities & Colleges in Dublin.
There has to be someone far more qualified in any subject, (including hard drinking), from one of these venerable instituions.
Speaking of which, one of the better science podcasts (Futureproof) is presented by Joathan McCrea .
He regularly has excellent Irish scientists on his show.
Save the air miles! Save Beccy from Elevator Rape!
(Newstalk Ireland 106-108 FM)
RSS Feed: http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast_xml.php?id=51628

masakari2012

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]pfN7HTqGbXA[/youtube]

decius

Post by decius »

There have been disingenuous requests for solid criticism of feminism by some random posters.
I took the chance to post this, but Novella is ignoring everything coming his way, so far.
Here's some criticism to what's passing for feminism in the movement, these days.

In modern post-enlightenment societies - where equality is enshrined into law - the Patriarchy is as useful and lucid a concept as the Illuminati, until solid evidence to the contrary is provided.

Criticism of dubious remarks by individual self-appointed leaders, who also happen to be women, doesn't automatically equate to sexism, or to misogyny, or to an attack on womankind as a whole.

Requests for evidence, following outrageous or potentially slanderous remarks about male leaders of the community, doesn't automatically equate to denialism of existing problems.

Evolutionary psychology is an established branch of science, whose mainstream practitioners are worthy of respect. The fact that its results do not conform to the wishful thinking of unqualified ideologues isn't ground for casual dismissal. Such eminently anti-skeptical attitudes should be called out and frowned upon, especially by serious leaders like Steven, whose silence on this issue has become an embarrassment to the movement as a whole.

There would be more, but having these seriously addressed would be a great start.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tigzy wrote:The occasional bubbles of oddness one gets from the FC crown never fail to leave me faintly bemused. This latest offering from Steffy, for instance:
Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

If you hang around these parts at all, you’ve probably seen SallyStrange. You’ve probably also seen some solid commenting from her and some information about the political and volunteer work that she does. You may even have seen how she’s been targeted by the slime pit disinformation factory for speaking up.

So it’s probably unsurprising that I’m happy to use this space and some of my resources to help Sally out. In this case, I’m acting as an intermediary to help get Sally to the American Atheists 50th Anniversary National Convention in Austin, Texas, in March.

I’m using my own PayPal account as a barrier between Sally and any potential malicious nonsense. She has plenty of friends around here who will be more than happy to donate, but she’s gotten enough of the unwanted attention too that an extra layer of identity protection seemed like a good idea to both of us.

So if you’re one of those friends, feel free to click and donate below. Let’s make sure she gets the good time that she’s more than earned, shall we?
Using her Paypal account as a barrier between Sally Syringe and any potential malicious nonsense??
Steff Svan, the Father Ted of Freethought Blogs.
"That money was only resting in my account!"
Careful now!

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

decius wrote:There have been disingenuous requests for solid criticism of feminism by some random posters.
I took the chance to post this, but Novella is ignoring everything coming his way, so far.
Here's some criticism to what's passing for feminism in the movement, these days.

In modern post-enlightenment societies - where equality is enshrined into law - the Patriarchy is as useful and lucid a concept as the Illuminati, until solid evidence to the contrary is provided.

Criticism of dubious remarks by individual self-appointed leaders, who also happen to be women, doesn't automatically equate to sexism, or to misogyny, or to an attack on womankind as a whole.

Requests for evidence, following outrageous or potentially slanderous remarks about male leaders of the community, doesn't automatically equate to denialism of existing problems.

Evolutionary psychology is an established branch of science, whose mainstream practitioners are worthy of respect. The fact that its results do not conform to the wishful thinking of unqualified ideologues isn't ground for casual dismissal. Such eminently anti-skeptical attitudes should be called out and frowned upon, especially by serious leaders like Steven, whose silence on this issue has become an embarrassment to the movement as a whole.

There would be more, but having these seriously addressed would be a great start.
Nice. Good that you focused on "what is passing for feminism" as that's what is being dealt with. Of course, you will probably be criticized for not addressing some specific academic form or claim of feminism, but of course, if you do that, you will be criticized for attacking a specific form of feminism, whereas everybody knows that "not all feminists are like that". Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but well done either way!

Good that you addressed "the patriarchy" directly. I've lived my whole life in liberal western society, and the only time I can ever find the patriarchy is when the lawn needs mowing.

decius

Post by decius »

nippletwister wrote:
Nice. Good that you focused on "what is passing for feminism" as that's what is being dealt with. Of course, you will probably be criticized for not addressing some specific academic form or claim of feminism, but of course, if you do that, you will be criticized for attacking a specific form of feminism, whereas everybody knows that "not all feminists are like that". Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but well done either way!

Good that you addressed "the patriarchy" directly. I've lived my whole life in liberal western society, and the only time I can ever find the patriarchy is when the lawn needs mowing.
Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not going to engage anyone, except Novella in the unlikely case he replies.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:I'm going to split the thread soon: I get all creeped out by Anne Robinson each time I open this one...
Anne Robinson?

I thought it was Andy Warhol.

aqi

Post by aqi »

WHO'S GOING TO IRELAND FOR THE EMPOWERING WOMEN THROUGH SECULARISM CONFERENCE 2013??!!?

http://www.atheist.ie/empowering-women- ... n-ireland/

Ophelia Benson, author and commentator, USA
PZ Myers, science professor and blogger, USA
Rebecca Watson, Skepchick network, USA