Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dictionary[/spoiler]

Post by welch »

Michael K Gray wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Well this FtB / Skepchick style thing is alive and well in the IT industry too it seems ... http://ashedryden.com/blog/we-deserve-better-than-this
Reverse it and it is equally valid:
Sexism and misandrony¹ isn't something that happens to "other people". I don't know one man whose life hasn't been affected by it; I don't know a single man who hasn't changed their behavior or the situations they put themselves in because of it. I don't know anyone that who hasn't been friends, partners, or family members with a man that who hasn't worried for him or seen the way his life gets turned upside down by the way society treats him. These aren't "men's issues", they are societal issues.

That rings 100% true for me.
Especially with the "Glass Floor" effect.
The criminally gross imbalance in family law, and sexual offence laws and the huge dimorphism in rules of forensis that are blithely applied with brutish inequality to either sex. A woman's word holds at least twice the value of a man's in these areas.
Judge Judy indeed.

The disproportionate risk of imprisonment and subsequent ferocious rape suffered by most males inmates.
Most of the horridly dangerous, dirty, back-breaking work is still performed by males.
The near universal risk of death and injury during combat, both state-sanctioned and private, especially with involuntary male-only draft in most countries.
The disparity between median survival age.
And not being able to wear women's pretty clothes. (Oops! Gave away too much there Dan Hughes!²)

Damn that pervasive and powerful Patriarchy for perpetuating these obvious male "advantages"!
Feminists who ignore these very real and very brutal male sufferings can go get stuffed, as far as I am concerned.
Not worth the time of day.

No, it is not happening in "IT". In fact, very, very few examples on her list were even work related, and only one could be seen as any form of sexist. "IT" is not a monolithic thing. She's a web developer who has about as much to do with my part of IT as I do with the formal study of platypui.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Gumby »

decius wrote:To clarify for those who weren't here - the rape thing was just the cheeriest part of it. LSuoma has cleaned up quite a lot.
Please, don't ask. Let's just move on and keep a united front against the indefensible.
meanwhile, Aratina (commenter at FTB) has apparently seen our discussion about this, and is quite confused. From 10 hours ago:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 806b4a.jpg

DERP

Apples

2 cents on 'rules'

Post by Apples »

I'm a bit reluctant to admit the necessity of writing up rules about violent speech or "no rape threats." Doesn't it go without saying? Seems like it did for 50,000+ posts. I tend to prefer 'unsteady as she goes' and let the record speak for itself. I really appreciate the feel of controlled anarchy that has been achieved here and intuitively dislike the idea of the 'Pit's needing to gentrify or codify. Whatever Lsuoma feels he needs to do to protect himself and the board is fine, but this is like a speakeasy - no need to put a sign on the door or a list of rules. If you can't handle yourself, you'll be handled.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

decius wrote:
Jack wrote:[
However if it comes to the law I would come down hard as I see that as protecting the community.
It did come to legal liabilities, no question. It simply cannot be ignored and treated as just another post.
I was late to the party and missed some of his posts as I assume they were removed, so I accept your observation. If that is the case I agree action should be taken. I absolutely hate censorship but there is a limit as Al pointer out earlier.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: 2 cents on 'rules'

Post by Gumby »

Apples wrote:I'm a bit reluctant to admit the necessity of writing up rules about violent speech or "no rape threats." Doesn't it go without saying? Seems like it did for 50,000+ posts. I tend to prefer 'unsteady as she goes' and let the record speak for itself. I really appreciate the feel of controlled anarchy that has been achieved here and intuitively dislike the idea of the 'Pit's needing to gentrify or codify. Whatever Lsuoma feels he needs to do to protect himself and the board is fine, but this is like a speakeasy - no need to put a sign on the door or a list of rules. If you can't handle yourself, you'll be handled.
Well, one thing we can be sure of is that Lsuoma won't be writing some long list of posting commandments. That's not his style, nor is it the Pit's style. However, I am all for a couple of statements that serve to (maybe) help legally protect this place. I don't see statements like "Don't threaten or condone violence against others" or "Don't post cp pics" as threatening the speakeasy reputation of this place. Think of it this way - most bars in the US have signs saying "Firearms prohibited on these premises". Such signs don't detract from the overall bar experience, they just help protect the owner of the bar and his customers.

Oh, Lsuoma, I would ask that you also consider some verbiage about underage posters being prohibited, as well. And isn't there some "By clicking you certify you are 18 or over" thingy you can put in the registration process?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Scented Nectar wrote:A separatist has sent me 'death' threats (good old internet bravado 'threats') and mentions the Pit too. So, might as well post this all here, partly to show Watson what a threat is and what it is not.

Here's a death threat (screen caps below) that is way more real sounding than the "you deserve..." or "I wish... happens to you" types that Watson gets once in a while. And notice how, even though it's more real sounding than Watson's page of hate 'threats', one can see that this is very likely just an internet bravado attempt to scare someone. It's very unlikely that they mean it.
I think you have made your point. Something like this would be a gift to OB, Twatson and that lot.

Now, if the author was actually in the same country I think I might be tempted to do something, like pay them a visit myself if it was not too inconvenient.

Or, you could do what I actually did last time something threatened me, call the police in their country (in their town), and fax supporting documentation to said same authorities.

The police officer I spoke to said that he had planned to swing by that address anyway. Surprise! he was already on their radar and this was a good excuse to pay said person a visit.

YMMV

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

d4m10n wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Part of the reason I post here is because I found it the one place in the online atheist community where people were taking seriously the problem of hypocrisy.
There is a line to be drawn in the sand here.
Bad taste jokes about someone being a fatty are juvinile and silly.
Calling for people to be raped is so far over the line that I am seriously wondering whether we have been set up.
The alternative, and probably closer to the truth is that we have some crossover with the MRA community who don't seem to take this sort of shit seriously.
I suggest we do take it seriously.
Fifthed.

Wishing rape/torture upon people who write disagreeable words ranks right up there with Wowbagger's fantasies of burning people to death, that kneecapper guy, and PZ's bizarre wish to find Gelato Guy and fuck him to the ground. Sick, twisted violent fantasies should remain the purview of the Horde, not the Pit.
Agreed.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Submariner wrote:The depths of human depravity, seemingly at its nadir, refuses to be held in check by the buoyancy of reason and plummets ever deeper.
That little group of youtube separatists (the ones that cluster around Krista/Femitheist) are some of the most baffling, insane cases of truth being stranger than fiction that I've ever seen. They've recently aligned themselves with the separatists at radfemhub (the ones Agent Orange exposed), but even though they share the same elimination of men dream, the youtube ones are incredibly more incoherent and stupid or something. More childish maybe.
No less bloody dangerous though. I really thought femitheist was a poe. Scary stuff.

comslave

Re: never heard the melody till I needed the song

Post by comslave »

Apples wrote:Violence wishes/fantasies -- obviously out of bounds (regardless of Lsuoma's actions). Bad PR, inhumane, bad skepticism, not interested. Fat-shaming of public figures who are brittle, privileged, anti-skeptical hypocrites: bad PR, poor taste, juvenile, mean, still think it's funny.
untitled5.JPG

The american divorce rate, and my personal reason for never getting married, is explained in this one image.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Notung wrote:Eightheded.

Also - if there's some kind of stated rule about 'no rape threats' or 'no wishing that people get killed/raped', then that will help dispel the myth that rape threats are what the posters here do. If you see what I mean.
Or certain people will say, "See? They actually need a Rule to stop themselves from saying this kind of thing."

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Cunning Punt wrote:

Also - if there's some kind of stated rule about 'no rape threats' or 'no wishing that people get killed/raped', then that will help dispel the myth that rape threats are what the posters here do. If you see what I mean.
Or certain people will say, "See? They actually need a Rule to stop themselves from saying this kind of thing."
Which is why i think that a community-based manifesto or code of conduct is better than a "rule".

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Apples wrote:Hm. Ever since the Secret Forum meltdown, A+ has become ...... boring. Most of the crazy has presumably retreated into the super-safe underground bunker, and the Capricious Mods thread is post-free and off the bestsellers list. There's even some scraps of rational discussion scattered here and there, with a noticeable and refreshing absence of Ceepolk and Flewellyn (I'm guessing hyperdeath told them to lighten up in the wake of the 'wind'-storm). On the other hand, hyperdeath is busily starting threads like "Most overrated movie" and "Which everyday technology impresses you the most?," like a nervous host at an awkward party offering stale cookies and cocktail weenies. Atheism Plus: where social justice goes to curl up in a ball and play dead.
The past 56 hours and 30 minutes Atheism Plus has increased its membership by 3.
Fuck off i'm not stalking. :shifty:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Dick Strawkins wrote: ...I had to trawl through months of slympit threads to find those pictures.
We simply don't post such stuff that often...
I joined the Pit in mid-December and was lurking for maybe a couple of months before that. I vist most days and try to keep up and yet probably half of the nick-names and photoshops in the Stefalump's list were news to me (so, thanks Stefalump, for catching me up on laughs I had missed).
Imagine the time and effort spent cataloging each insult. She probably has a file of the stuff. Imagine her beady eyes in the glow of the screen scrolling, scrolling, reaching for another donut, more scrolling.
I don't know where she finds the time to dress up in that cow costume.

Ask yourselves which would be worse: being trapped in a room with that much bitterness and resentment, or being trapped in a mind with it?

sacha

Post by sacha »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Sex is *always* good :animals-bunny:
Not with me, it's not...
Even bad sex is good, in as far as cardio stuff goes :D

bad sex is never good. mediocre sex isn't even good. fuck the cardio aspect. can one fuck a cardio aspect?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Credible physical threats or serious wishes of violence as well as unauthorized disclosure of personal details could be grounds for editing or removing the comment, at the discretion of the moderator. Offenders may be banned temporarily or permanently.

Something along these lines would be good to have in place explicitly, if only to discredit those hysterical baboons who claim that the 'Pit is a den of dangerous misogynists who spend most of their time sending rape-threats.

sacha

Post by sacha »

rocko2466 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Hahahahahahaha

"What do you think about freethought blogs?"

*pause*

Clever Bot: "They make me fall asleep."
hahaha
RW.jpg
fun with clever bot!

It asked if I had a boyfriend, I said no
girlfriend? no
boyfriend? no
are you a boy or a girl? woman
how old are you? ancient
is it dead?

hahaha

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Karmakin wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

Which is why i think that a community-based manifesto or code of conduct is better than a "rule".
We could go "We do not stand for that, this is what we do stand for..." but I don't need a particularly long memory to know that getting an agreement from the community on what is acceptable will be difficult.

I mean, we could try, something like:

"We, as members of the Slymepit, are motivated by concern for the future of our movement. Under no circumstances do we approve of using threats of physical violence or any other intimidation to silence other people. We have done none of these things in the past, and will not support anyone who has done so. We assert our right to be treated as individuals, responsible only for the things that we ourselves say or publicly agree with."

and see how many people want to stick their names under it. You could make it longer and include no doxing, no sexism, no racism, no fat-jokes, etc. though I imagine you would reach a point where other people would start saying "Eh, I don't want to sign up to that."

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

sacha wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Not with me, it's not...

bad sex is never good. mediocre sex isn't even good. fuck the cardio aspect. can one fuck a cardio aspect?
Having had bad, mediocre, good, and fucking excellent sex, I've always found the cardio bit good :D Then again, I'm an eternal optimist.

sacha

Post by sacha »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Hi, TheMudbrooker here.
I'm a Laborer by trade, that means I've done about everything related to construction at one time or another, but mainly I lay pipe on a water and sewer crew. The trouble is work has been slow these last few years and I kinda miss spending my days knee-deep in raw sewage. So when that guy over in Minnesota, whatshisname...that fella that kills all those little fish, said The Slymepit was a cesspit of unspeakable filth I thought to myself "Fuck yeah, sign me up! It'll be like old home week".

You know what I found when I got here?

Nary a floating turd, used tampon or whiff of hydrogen sulfide.

What a fucking rip-off. Of course it's my own damned fault, I know better than to listen to anybody that lives on the wrong side of the crick. :doh:

I know I'm far behind, but fuck off, MudBroker. funny stuff

sacha

Post by sacha »

fascination wrote: Welcome to the Pit Mudbrooker! So, you like to "lay pipe" do you?

fascination is a slut

sacha

Post by sacha »

They're confusing wind with Windy. Silly billies.[/quote]

no, they are speaking of windy, not wind

sacha

Post by sacha »

[quote="Apples"]
Mudbrooker here's a welcome basket -
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/126/36664 ... 074415.jpg

gorgeous!

Phil Giordana will appreciate that as well

sacha

Post by sacha »

love the new tagline

sacha

Post by sacha »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
fascination wrote: Welcome to the Pit Mudbrooker! So, you like to "lay pipe" do you?
Oh my yes. It's dirty as hell and it gets pretty physical at times, but it's really a fairly simple procedure. First, you install a rubber and lube it up good. Then you carefully line up the spigot end of your pipe so the rubber doesn't roll out and cause a leak. After that, you grab your five-foot Johnson bar, stab it in the ground a few times to get a good bite, take your bar in both hands, put a little ass behind it and slam the pipe home till it bottoms out. I'll save explaining the proper use a a whacker for another time.
The wages and benefits are good, but mostly I do it for the double entendres.
okay now I'm wet

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Zenspace wrote: The Slymepit ends up becoming the real Safe Place instead of A+ ?!?!?! That is really, really going to screw with someone's narrative! :lol:
*sigh*

I am already self censoring.

For example I cancelled a post where I joked and said stuff like:
Oh do not worry about being stalked. If you do get concerned all you have to do is go to a window and say something. I am right outside.
*gloomy*

noooooooooo

do not self-censor! fuck.

sacha

Post by sacha »

fascination wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
Oh my yes. It's dirty as hell and it gets pretty physical at times, but it's really a fairly simple procedure. First, you install a rubber and lube it up good. Then you carefully line up the spigot end of your pipe so the rubber doesn't roll out and cause a leak. After that, you grab your five-foot Johnson bar, stab it in the ground a few times to get a good bite, take your bar in both hands, put a little ass behind it and slam the pipe home till it bottoms out. I'll save explaining the proper use a a whacker for another time.
My panties are soaked ;)
fascination wears "panties"

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

We could go "We do not stand for that, this is what we do stand for..." but I don't need a particularly long memory to know that getting an agreement from the community on what is acceptable will be difficult.

"We, as members of the Slymepit, are motivated by concern for the future of our movement. Under no circumstances do we approve of using threats of physical violence or any other intimidation to silence other people. We have done none of these things in the past, and will not support anyone who has done so. We assert our right to be treated as individuals, responsible only for the things that we ourselves say or publicly agree with."

and see how many people want to stick their names under it. You could make it longer and include no doxing, no sexism, no racism, no fat-jokes, etc. though I imagine you would reach a point where other people would start saying "Eh, I don't want to sign up to that."
I'm not sure about this, as I wouldn't agree to it unless it was extremely specific. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but a few days back someone on twitter said something about attacking men's testicles with a pickaxe. I tweeted back that if I am attacked, I will defend myself. Does that count as a threat of violence? Maybe, maybe not. Although, I definitely wouldn't use *anything* to silence people. I'm opposed to silencing people regardless of the method.

The sexism part also bothers me; not because I'm sexist, but because the SJWs think I am. So if I sign this, then say "cunt", they would retort with "See??? He's breaking the rules he agreed to!!!"

I'm also completely in favor of jokes on any and all subject matter. "No ____ jokes" is something I absolutely will not agree to, regardless of what you stick in the blank.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Pussy Riot's Nadezhda Tolokonnikova transferred to prison hospital
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe ... n-hospital
Prison authorities are, however, likely to take special care of celebrity prisoners. "They are probably very frightened of something happening to Tolokonnikova," Rimmer said. "There would be a big scandal."

sacha

Post by sacha »

robr wrote:
sacha wrote:
Git wrote:
Incidentally, whilst one can stop being a religious Jew, one is still a ethnic Jew. Hence Jewish atheists, for example.

not always. I know "Jewish" people who are atheists and their parents were atheists, and they have no ties to Jewish culture/ethnicity. They see that "ethnic Jew" thing as offensive. Like PoC.

Git is correct. Mark Chu-Carroll wrote about this on his blog Good Math, Bad Math a couple of years back. There's even a wikipedia entry for it, here.

*shrug* Thought it was common knowledge.

First Post!

'Sup pit... Fuck Off.
did you even read what I wrote?

"not always. I know "Jewish" people who are atheists and their parents were atheists, and they have no ties to Jewish culture/ethnicity. They see that "ethnic Jew" thing as offensive. Like PoC."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Karmakin wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

Yep, this is what I thought too. Also, when some knobhead DOES post something bad, idiots will scream that the (unenforceable, without 100% moderation) rules are being ignored. Plus one also has to get watertight definitions of where the lines are to be drawn. I tend towards Potter Stewart's attitude towards pornography.

I think that the balance here is actually very good: I definitely don't want to rein in the anarchy.

I still think the rules I posted last night are enough, combined with good community engagement and policing.

sacha

Post by sacha »

welch wrote:
Lol. I'd do that, but let's be clear: I'd do it in full-on asshole mode the entire time. We all know they have no integrity, and zero desire to have this end. But if I could spool them up until they were screaming profanities and yanking their mic cords out of their computers so hard they broke them?

That would be GLORIOUS.

So yeah, I'd do that. Because that's the only reason to talk to them at all.

oooh I want to join you. I could be the token cunt on the panel

decius

Post by decius »

sacha wrote:

fascination is a slut
I hope so.

comslave

Post by comslave »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
sacha wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Not with me, it's not...

Having had bad, mediocre, good, and fucking excellent sex, I've always found the cardio bit good :D Then again, I'm an eternal optimist.
That depends on how far you can run before he catches you. :rimshot:
(that one was for Ophelia)

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Metalogic42 wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

I'm not sure about this, as I wouldn't agree to it unless it was extremely specific. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but a few days back someone on twitter said something about attacking men's testicles with a pickaxe. I tweeted back that if I am attacked, I will defend myself. Does that count as a threat of violence? Maybe, maybe not. Although, I definitely wouldn't use *anything* to silence people. I'm opposed to silencing people regardless of the method.

The sexism part also bothers me; not because I'm sexist, but because the SJWs think I am. So if I sign this, then say "cunt", they would retort with "See??? He's breaking the rules he agreed to!!!"

I'm also completely in favor of jokes on any and all subject matter. "No ____ jokes" is something I absolutely will not agree to, regardless of what you stick in the blank.
I wouldn't say a promise to defend oneself if attacked constitutes a threat. RE: Sexism, I would say that is a non-issue. Think about it this way: if you were to be judged by 12 [persons] good and true, would they find it sexist? I would not worry about the claims of people who think a man disagreeing with a woman is sexism.

There are some cases that would be an issue, for example if we have "no doxing" on there and include the "never done it" line then some members here would be accused of lying if they signed it. In that case there are a few options:
1) Don't have a "no doxing" clause
2) Do have a "no doxing" clause but drop the "never done it" line
3) Accept that some members do not live up to that manifesto and should not sign it
4) Allow those signatories to defend themselves against accusations of hypocrisy/lying
5) Have two versions, with and without the "never done it" line

This should go without saying, but I feel the need to clarify that I am not proposing this be something that is binding on members of the pit or is intended to be signed by all members or anything. My point is that I think most members could agree on a set of shared principles that might be worth articulating as a response to the accusations usually levelled against this forum.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

AbsurdWalls wrote:RE: Sexism, I would say that is a non-issue. Think about it this way: if you were to be judged by 12 [persons] good and true, would they find it sexist? I would not worry about the claims of people who think a man disagreeing with a woman is sexism.
It's not that I'm worried about those people, it's that it gives them even more fuel for the fire. Which seems to run counter to the purpose of the manifesto in the first place. In a way, it would be helping them continue their bullshit smear campaigns against the pit.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

Yep, this is what I thought too. Also, when some knobhead DOES post something bad, idiots will scream that the (unenforceable, without 100% moderation) rules are being ignored. Plus one also has to get watertight definitions of where the lines are to be drawn. I tend towards Potter Stewart's attitude towards pornography.

I think that the balance here is actually very good: I definitely don't want to rein in the anarchy.

I still think the rules I posted last night are enough, combined with good community engagement and policing.
I.e. they will stay in place until someone convinces me they need to be changed. Threats of violence are covered under the illegal stuff. Condoning threats of violence is covered under the "what Lsuoma likes" stuff. Anyone is free to agree or disagree, stay or go, at their discretion if they don't like what I like. Hell, loads of people already disagree with me and insult me. So what? Fuck 'em. But they don't get banned or sanctioned.

The earlier posts that have said we need to say that CP is unacceptable are wrong, I believe, to suggest that I put in place specific rules already covered by general ones. Or irrelevant rules, such as stupid open container laws: drunk driving is illegal. Having a rule against an open bevy in a car dies nothing to change that. It adds nothing, and prevents passengers drinking.

If someone can point me to something specific not covered by the rules, please do.

decius

Post by decius »

Although the overstepping of certain boundaries irk me to no end, I'm not sure about formalising an ethos we already share through a bureaucratic process.

We're at risk of repeating one of the basic error of our antagonists - namely, something akin to drafting an "anti-harassment policy.

There's the law and there's the individual responsibility that comes with unbridled free speech. If anyone needs to be reminded is either in bad faith, or a criminal, or a complete idiot.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and thanks for the big donation from Oz. New Spewfrogs, here I come!

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

An 8-year-old choir boy catches the priest masturbating.

He said, "What are you doing father?"

"It's called masturbating," the priest replied. "You'll be doing this soon."

"Why father?" he asked.

"Because my wrist is killing me," the priest replied.

decius

Post by decius »

Lsuoma wrote: I.e. they will stay in place until someone convinces me they need to be changed. Threats of violence are covered under the illegal stuff. Condoning threats of violence is covered under the "what Lsuoma likes" stuff. Anyone is free to agree or disagree, stay or go, at their discretion if they don't like what I like. Hell, loads of people already disagree with me and insult me. So what? Fuck 'em. But they don't get banned or sanctioned.

The earlier posts that have said we need to say that CP is unacceptable are wrong, I believe, to suggest that I put in place specific rules already covered by general ones. Or irrelevant rules, such as stupid open container laws: drunk driving is illegal. Having a rule against an open bevy in a car dies nothing to change that. It adds nothing, and prevents passengers drinking.

If someone can point me to something specific not covered by the rules, please do.
I agree. It should really be sufficient.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

decius wrote:Although the overstepping of certain boundaries irk me to no end, I'm not sure about formalising an ethos we already share through a bureaucratic process.

We're at risk of repeating one of the basic error of our antagonists - namely, something akin to drafting an "anti-harassment policy.

There's the law and there's the individual responsibility that comes with unbridled free speech. If anyone needs to be reminded is either in bad faith, or a criminal, or a complete idiot.
Yes, and we can deal with those types as they arise, as we have already done on several occasions.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:Oh, and thanks for the big donation from Oz. New Spewfrogs, here I come!
LOL! Spewfrogs :)

Speaking of donations, you did receive the one I made like a week or two ago, right?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

A woman and a young boy are walking through the woods late at night, and the boy says "I'm scared!"

The woman turns to him and says "You're scared? I'm the one who's going to be walking back on my own!"

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Lsuoma wrote: I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Xth. Threats of violence are unacceptable. Resorting to them in a conflict of ideas just shows the weakness of the person’s position and/or character, and creates potential legal issues for the site.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Oh, and thanks for the big donation from Oz. New Spewfrogs, here I come!

Speaking of donations, you did receive the one I made like a week or two ago, right?
Yes, I did: many, many thanks.

I thought I'd mentioned all if them, but if not: "Thank ALL the Pitters!"

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I admit up front that I do not know who started this "freeze peach" business but once you go down that road I have no sympathy for you.

So, go ahead, ban someone like Ann Coulter and the like, and eventually you wind up with this kind of situation, where the shoe is on the other foot.

Brooklyn College's academic freedom increasingly threatened over Israel event
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... dershowitz

The above, in the end is what "freeze peach" gets you.

(pretty simplistic I agree, no idea who started it, but once you get on the slippery slope, do not be surprised it it turns into a razor blade)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Yes, I did: many, many thanks.

I thought I'd mentioned all if them, but if not: "Thank ALL the Pitters!"
Ok, just making sure :) 'Twasn't much but I wanted to show some support since everyone here let's me off-topic vent on occasion.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Utoh. Looks like Stephie-pookins is not pleased :D

http://www.freezepage.com/1359839261CBYUSOIJFR
I find it hilarious that Svan spent ages defending Surly Amy's dodgy DMCA claims with the argument that you cannot simply take photos from one persons website and reuse them on your own without permission - especially if you will be making money from it through ad revenue.

Now, of course, that argument is out the window.

Hey Svan, stop stealing our artwork! :twisted:

Lsuoma, you should DMCA her ass. :D

I guess we'll get a few more FTB visitors now.

Good.

Welcome to the Slymepit!

Unlike Stephanie Zvan we, here at the slymepit, don't defend threats of violence against women.

Anything you would like to add to your contributions here, Steff? :)
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/ ... -too-sexy/

:popcorn:
Unless you're surly amy, and reusing Namco's IP for profit. then it's totes okey-dokey.

sacha

Post by sacha »

fascination wrote:@Sacha and Rayshul You've both made me feel better. I just found out recently that I'm going to have to have another C section. My first pregnancy was an emergency c section and because of the way that went down this one will have to be a scheduled c section. I was hoping to have a vaginal birth this time. I really didn't want to have to have major abdominal surgery again. A minor thing was I didn't want a second scar or a bigger scar. I have a really good OB and my first scar is tiny. But fuck it, it's a minor thing. The doctor says it should be small anyway. Plus, there's two beautiful women here that say scars are sexy! :D
sexyscar.png
(116.93 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... attraction
monroe 2.png
(137.33 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
I like scars.

Git

Post by Git »

sacha wrote:bad sex is never good. mediocre sex isn't even good. fuck the cardio aspect. can one fuck a cardio aspect?
With great effort.

welch

Post by welch »

Altair wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

:lol: - Damn, that review of Steffy's history on the pit is a hoot. There has been some seriously funny shit posted here about her.

Course, there's vitriol, too. And were Steffy a more honest, consistent and downright less vindictive commentator, I would have some sympathy for her.
Well, she added links, which is a lot more of what the FTB bloggers and commenters usually do.

And yes, I can imagine she doesn't like reading/seeing those things about her, but guess what, Steffany, I don't fucking like being told that I'm a brain damaged female, or that I have a rape switch, or that I'm a rape enabler, or that testosterone fucks up the brain.

People with glass houses and all that.

well, if the things said here upset her so, she could always stop reading this site.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Apples wrote:
fascination wrote:Welcome to the Pit Mudbrooker! So, you like to "lay pipe" do you?
You beat me to it :D

Mudbrooker here's a welcome basket -
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/126/36664 ... 074415.jpg
CORN SNAAAAAKE!!!

<3 <3 <3

and... I was correct

sacha

Post by sacha »

Oneiros666 wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: He must be a Septic.
Hahaha. I don't know what a "Septic" is, but I assume it's an oh- so- clever wordplay of "Skeptic"/"septic"(as in sewer).

septic tank - yank

welch

Post by welch »

Notung wrote:Looks like some of you have provided Stephanie Zvan with plenty of ammo to give her an easy job of getting moderates to hate this place. Nice one!

The fact that I'd hardly seen any of it just shows how much I skim over that kind of nonsense.

Yes, I know they're hypocritical but for God's sake - rise above it! Lots of people here claim to oppose the SJW witch-hunters but I'm sorry to say that some of you have been an invaluable asset to them. I said this (along with a few others) near the end of the old 'slime pit' on ERV and I haven't changed my opinion.

If I bought the guilt-by-association argument, which I don't, I'd have already renounced this place.

No.

Not just no, but go fuck yourself. I am tired, so heartily tired of this moronic meme that we should somehow meet some higher standard of behavior and that if we do, we'll "win" or "do better" or what.

Bullshit, and you can't even come close to proving that on any level. Prove to me, show me one fucking scintilla of proof that if we, right the fuck now, behaved as they, or you wish us to, that anything, any. fucking. thing. would change one goddamned iota.

you can't, and you know it. And spare me the fucking "OMG JOO GIVE THEM AMMO". We have seen, we have proof, over and over, that they will deliberately take reasonable statements, and twist them to mean whatever it takes to give them the "ammo" they want. What, Shermer's statement was some kind of profanity-laden screed? Give me a fucking break, look at what PeeZus did to Novella, who was reasonable down to the punctuation.

You sound like every stupid tit who claimed that calling software a steaming pile of shit, even with extensive examples, would get me nowhere. They got real fucking quiet when it helped get results.

I can point to real-world examples of the efficacy of smacking someone upside the head in print or verbally to get their fucking attention to fix a problem. What the fuck do you have to a) prove that didn't happen, and b) that your method is so fucking much better?

sacha

Post by sacha »

rayshul wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:I'm up for free childcare at conventions. I wouldn't demand it or consider it as a "YAY WOMENZZZZ WIN" thing (it wouldn't benefit me any) but it's a "nice to have".
And it is intended to benefit PARENTS, for fux sake, not just XX chromosome breeders.
It is for Dad's and Grandparent's and Foster carers.
Originally, when the subject first came up, I admit it took me a few minutes to parse why free childcare would be a "woman's" issue as most women I know with sproggins are, like me, not the primary caregiver - but that does seem to have been the narrative around it. Women get childcare so they don't have to stay home! Yay! Feminism.
it's really surreal how they see the world in terms of the 1950's and prior

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

sacha wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
okay now I'm wet
Someday when I'm good and liquored up I'll tell ya what the topman and bottomman are getting up to while I'm busy laying pipe. :shock:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

welch wrote:
Altair wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

:lol: - Damn, that review of Steffy's history on the pit is a hoot. There has been some seriously funny shit posted here about her.

Course, there's vitriol, too. And were Steffy a more honest, consistent and downright less vindictive commentator, I would have some sympathy for her.
Well, she added links, which is a lot more of what the FTB bloggers and commenters usually do.

And yes, I can imagine she doesn't like reading/seeing those things about her, but guess what, Steffany, I don't fucking like being told that I'm a brain damaged female, or that I have a rape switch, or that I'm a rape enabler, or that testosterone fucks up the brain.

People with glass houses and all that.

well, if the things said here upset her so, she could always stop reading this site.
I have a strong feeling that there's a core of baboons who find the Slymepit a guilty pleasure. I'm pretty sure Oolon does - can hardly let a post go by without mentioning this place. He's like a repressed gay who keeps on saying how much he hates gays.

That post by Steffy is still giving me the lulz - 'look how mean they are being about meeeee!'. Peez has recently put a post out in support of it - surprise, surprise - though his latest one is about taking a guy to task because he has made up some bullshit that women on the pill have a lot of dead babies in their wombs. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... interwebs/

Yeah, making up a load of old shit - Like that the slymepit is an anti-feminist site - is reprehensible, Peez, I'd agree with you there.

I'm pretty sure Peez's one redeeming quality as that he'd actually look quite good in lederhosen.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

sacha wrote: sex is never good. mediocre sex isn't even good. fuck the cardio aspect. can one fuck a cardio aspect?
Only if there is enthusiastic consent.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

sacha wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:I'm up for free childcare at conventions. I wouldn't demand it or consider it as a "YAY WOMENZZZZ WIN" thing (it wouldn't benefit me any) but it's a "nice to have".
And it is intended to benefit PARENTS, for fux sake, not just XX chromosome breeders.
It is for Dad's and Grandparent's and Foster carers.
Originally, when the subject first came up, I admit it took me a few minutes to parse why free childcare would be a "woman's" issue as most women I know with sproggins are, like me, not the primary caregiver - but that does seem to have been the narrative around it. Women get childcare so they don't have to stay home! Yay! Feminism.
it's really surreal how they see the world in terms of the 1950's and prior
It really is like they took a bunch of random thoughts, shook them out, and declared everyone who doesn't believe in them is a sexist. Also, why are they so obsessed with conferences?