Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
Philip of Tealand

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:Michael

The conversation seems to have got completely out of hand but I'll quote a few of the more choice Tweets from out Snowflake Warrior:
:
The conversation has now descended into him saying that Mykeru has been sending him death threats which then magically changed to trolling the Internet for the past 10 years

This guy is deplorable.

I'm a terrible person too, but for fucks sake at least I'll admit I've done something wrong.
Oh dear!
I am truly sorry to have put you to that much effort for so little benefit for either of us.

It is my fault. I should have known that any and all dealings with "Oolon" can only result in him shit-stirring for the sake of it. That is how he gets his jollies. Would have been a real hoot in grade 4.
Pity he hasn't grown since then.

What I find intriguing is that even your pommy "free at point of service" NHS universal health-care system allows the crazy-cunt to to integrate back into adult society, after such a prolonged period of institutionalisation.
Michael, its ok, I'm enjoying seeing where this will go, I'm bored at work and need some entertainment!

Heck, I've even had the "privilege" of Tweeting to Greg Himself!

You do know our NHS is in financial trouble, I blame Oolon.

I have no evidence of this but hey, that's his tactic, I'm going to use t from now on!

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my self[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:...It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality.
If by that, you mean equality of opportunity, then I agree 101%!
If you mean equality of outcome, then we must agree 2,723,498,256¾% to disagree.
Opportunity, of course. Although I think that assuming that SJW's support equality of outcome in these situations is a bit of a strawman as well....they're far too bigoted for that. Like everything else, they use it as a political weapon as needed.

I should say this, I do think it's reasonable that if in a situation there is not equality of outcome, that this opens up the dialogue to try and investigate why this is the case, and see if it is due to a lack of equality of opportunity, which it sometimes is...and sometimes isn't.
I, too, find that stance eminently reasonable, (for what my opinion is worth to you.)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

windy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Yes, on the page where you can select dates for the url you've given, select the ones closest to a week or few weeks after they were first published so that you will get the full comment threads including the comments at the end where pz says comments are now closed, and the date will be after the comments are full, but before he got rid of all the comments.
PZ didn't "get rid of the comments", they went missing during the NatGeo switch and they failed to restore a lot of the threads for reasons unknown.
I'm not so sure I believe him about that. Maybe Abbie would know.

Abbie, is it true that PZ's lost comments from older scienceblogs posts cannot be recovered, or is there a setting he could use to bring them back? PZ claims to not know how to recover the ones from before scienceblogs went through their formatting change.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Karmakin wrote:Opportunity, of course. Although I think that assuming that SJW's support equality of outcome in these situations is a bit of a strawman as well....they're far too bigoted for that. Like everything else, they use it as a political weapon as needed.

I should say this, I do think it's reasonable that if in a situation there is not equality of outcome, that this opens up the dialogue to try and investigate why this is the case, and see if it is due to a lack of equality of opportunity, which it sometimes is...and sometimes isn't.
Why do you hate women and minorities so much?

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

rocko2466 wrote:( I mean, yeah, weird that he let it through)
HAHA WELL DONE!!
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 900#p68852

Anti-Atheismplus thread cleaner activating in 10...9...8...7...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Scented Nectar wrote:
windy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Yes, on the page where you can select dates for the url you've given, select the ones closest to a week or few weeks after they were first published so that you will get the full comment threads including the comments at the end where pz says comments are now closed, and the date will be after the comments are full, but before he got rid of all the comments.
PZ didn't "get rid of the comments", they went missing during the NatGeo switch and they failed to restore a lot of the threads for reasons unknown.

Abbie, is it true that PZ's lost comments from older scienceblogs posts cannot be recovered, or is there a setting he could use to bring them back? PZ claims to not know how to recover the ones from before scienceblogs went through their formatting change.
All I know is, all of mine crossed over just fine (including the thousands-long comment threads), everyone elses crossed over just fine (Orac, Tara, Ethan, their 'big' controversy posts). It was only PZs that didnt transfer. Sometimes. For some unknown reason.

:-|

CommanderTuvok

Re: reindeer games

Post by CommanderTuvok »

welch wrote:The fact that Laden seems to be constantly struggling against rape impulses is really creeeeeeeepy
Not surpising, since the Clown Crew say they are all potential rapists, along with being racist to boot.

Nice guys, the lot of 'em!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Percentage wrote:Is anyone else starting to get seriously weirded out by this Chris Clarke guy? He's recently made a few hamfisted feminist posts- nothing new about that, or interesting, really. But what is interesting is that I don't think I've read through a single one of his posts without assuming it was by PZ. Sometimes I'll catch my error later on- I'm going to assume there are probably a bunch that I've just missed entirely.

The rest of the FtB'ers may be politically identical, but at the very least they have distinct personalities- if the names were removed, I could still tell Benson from Thibeault from McCreight, etc. But Clarke might as well have been grown in a vat for all the variety he adds to Pharyngula.
It's not just their writing style that's similar…

http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... oblem2.jpg

The first time I saw a picture of Clarke, I just assumed it was Myers until I read the caption.

Grown in a vat? More likely than any of us would like to think…

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Percentage wrote:Is anyone else starting to get seriously weirded out by this Chris Clarke guy? He's recently made a few hamfisted feminist posts- nothing new about that, or interesting, really. But what is interesting is that I don't think I've read through a single one of his posts without assuming it was by PZ. Sometimes I'll catch my error later on- I'm going to assume there are probably a bunch that I've just missed entirely.

The rest of the FtB'ers may be politically identical, but at the very least they have distinct personalities- if the names were removed, I could still tell Benson from Thibeault from McCreight, etc. But Clarke might as well have been grown in a vat for all the variety he adds to Pharyngula.
It's not just their writing style that's similar…

http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... oblem2.jpg

The first time I saw a picture of Clarke, I just assumed it was Myers until I read the caption.

Grown in a vat? More likely than any of us would like to think…
http://i.imgur.com/HLwo1sQ.jpg

decius

Post by decius »

I got Twatson's and Laden's knickers in a twist.

Like with Dawkins, she launches, or partakes in, boycotts. Then she plays all innocent.

decius

Post by decius »

This was my original tweet.

skepteaser
‏@skepteaser
This boycott of #DragonCon proposed by the increasingly-disturbed @rebeccawatson is ludicrous. Will PZ Phelps enforce picketing? #ftbullies

cunt

Post by cunt »

She didn't propose a boycott though. She was just bluffing.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ERV wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
windy wrote:

All I know is, all of mine crossed over just fine (including the thousands-long comment threads), everyone elses crossed over just fine (Orac, Tara, Ethan, their 'big' controversy posts). It was only PZs that didnt transfer. Sometimes. For some unknown reason.

:-|
About 8 years ago I was on the moderating team of a supporters site of a UK football team. It was an unofficial site, meaning it was not run by the club itself and as such it was independent, and, in the great tradition of UK football supporters, it had many individuals who wrote nasty things which about the club owners.
Well, one of the nasty comments about the owner involved an accusation of business dishonesty, which rather rapidly led to a letter from the club's solicitor arriving at the home of the main admin of the website. The solicitor made it clear to us that we were going to be taken to court for libel (which in England is basically a threat to bankrukpt you).
Strangely enough, just that very afternoon in fact, the servers of the website 'crashed'.
We couldn't retrieve any data whatsoever from them. They were completely burned out.
And we'd forgotten to do a backup.
Oops.
So the website was rebooted, with all the previous history missing.
Unfortunately we just couldn't send the data to the owner's solicitors - it was all 'gone'.

This incident reminds me of PZ's thread loss, for some reason.
Unfortunately for Peezus, most of the comments are still available on the wayback machine.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

cunt wrote:She didn't propose a boycott though. She was just bluffing.
You sure? Not doing things is their favorite form of activism.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Hi! I'm not an activist, I just play one on youtube.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah i'm sure. It was a weak bluff.
I’m not saying that I or Skepchick as a whole will definitely be boycotting DragonCon, as it’s something I have to think a lot about. But I do hope that DragonCon’s leadership will take this seriously and do the right thing, and save us all from a difficult decision.
Now it's been pointed out to her that DragonCon is legally obliged to pay this guy and there's not much they can do, she's handwaving by making it a *bigger discussion*, rather than simply admit that she was being an idiot.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
She was just thinking out loud (aka JAQing) while googling "fallacies." Oooh "false dilemma!" (it has a wikipedia entry, nevermind that false dichotomy is probably what she was looking for). She writes like a toddler playing with legos.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Oh Greg, don't you ever change. Like by becoming somewhat competent.
herpderp.png
(29.74 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

decius

Post by decius »

It's a classic new-media-douchebag technique to influence her gullible readers. "I will never buy Dawkins's book again", "Look, there are serious reasons to boycott DragonCon".

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Apples wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
She was just thinking out loud (aka JAQing) while googling "fallacies." Oooh "false dilemma!" (it has a wikipedia entry, nevermind that false dichotomy is probably what she was looking for). She writes like a toddler playing with legos.
WHAT DID YOU GIVE HER THOSE FOR? SHE'LL CHOKE.

Give her lego. Fuck.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Wtf Laden.

Untitled 3.jpg
(29.12 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

cunt

Post by cunt »

decius wrote:It's a classic new-media-douchebag technique to influence her gullible readers. "I will never buy Dawkins's book again", "Look, there are serious reasons to boycott DragonCon".
If its a tactic/technique it has to be one of the stupidest i've ever seen. Now she's told her readership about where their money is going to go, they're less likely to want to turn up and see her. My bet is that there'll be a post nearer to the time about her "moral dilemma" - she's heroically decided to pull out after all.

In reality Becky just talked herself out of a few t-shirt sales.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Submariner wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Hi! I'm not an activist, I just play one on youtube.
Then there's folks like Grothe. Kylie Sturgess linked to a good speech - a sort of "modest proposal" about what it means to be a good skeptic. It has attracted zero comments at FTB.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/tokenskepti ... d-skeptic/

[youtube]Qv1OdN8xy74[/youtube]

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

rocko2466 wrote:Wtf Laden.
He's a very, very stupid person. My favorite is the time he accused Welch of launching a Denial of Service attack on his blog via the advanced hacking technique of pasting a large amount of text into a comments field.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Scented Nectar wrote:
windy wrote:

I might be doing it wrong, but I tried to find archived versions of PZ's Always Name Names post ( http://web.archive.org/web/201211050413 ... ame-names/ ) and the archived versions only go back to July 2012 (more than a year after the post was made) and none of them have comments. Am I doing it wrong or does Wayback Machine not keep archives older than a certain amount?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Untitled 3.jpg
He didn't go there, did he? :shock:

I think he did.

Calling us child molesters?

WTF!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Alright. I'm just going to highlight some gems from the Thunderdome. In no particular order.
Chris Clarke wrote:For what it’s worth, I agree that there were no pit posts there by abear. But it was clear he’s of that crowd. Enough for me given his conduct.

I can’t be arsed to spend more time thinking about the slymepit than backing up my friends absolutely requires. Fuck ‘em. Tiny fish fighting pathetically to keep people from enlarging their pond.
Thunderdome is supposed to be UNMODERATED, you fucking prat! Honestly. Their brains have fallen out of their sockets.

[quote="Caine, "poisoned chalice"]Most women have had a chill girl phase. When you’re a chill girl, you accept internalized and external sexism, you consider it the norm, therefor you “side” with the guys. There was an excellent thread which addressed this, but it’s lost to NatGeo. Basically, we’re all still raised with the notion that men=human being, so we seek to be men, so to speak, by accepting their outlook as the right one.

A chill girl is one who would, frinst., indulge in slut shaming, considering it right to do. Not that long ago, in the douchebag thread, we had Renee Hendricks show up, she’s a classic chill girl and ‘pitter. She took up with another person who was decrying women in the military – she declared that there were jobs in the military women were not suited for at all, and she should know, because she had one of those jobs in the military. Ah, there it is, starts about here.[/quote]

Well, there you have it. Chill girl, sister punisher, gender traitor, etc. Endorsed by Pharyngula and by proxy the FTB community. (Love the part about Renee. Nice touch.)

[quote="some gods before me" (and something that looks like the tip of a cock jizzing)]Louis,

Please do me the favor of articulating your specific objections to the wiki page about Phil. I don’t recall that you ever voiced any at the time. I ask because the only reason it’s down is that Phil has not been a subject of much interest to us — my plan has always been that if he becomes relevant again, I will undelete the page.[/quote]

Oh, I see. So they deleted the page because Phil hasn't been interesting enough (perish the thought! Phil, you better step up your game!) but plans to "undelete" it if he becomes "relevant" again (whatever that means). Also, it appears that SGBM had either written that page about Phil or he/she's in charge of the Pharyngula wiki page. I also wonder how Louis feels about that, seeing as he thought that page was "disgusting." Louis, if you're lurking, how do you feel about that?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Not to trivialise child molestation or anything, but just use it... a bit like a pawn, in an internet troll war.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Untitled 3.jpg
They have nothing else to go on so they make up increasingly bizarre shit. And the more and more absurd they become the more irrelevant they render themselves.

Laden, of course, was ALWAYS irrelevant. The only way he can even get people to notice him is to jump up and down in his playpen screaming until his bald pate turns purple like an engorged and tumescent bell end.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

For what it's worth the big lightbulb moment for me, the big realization that I was on the "wrong side", was when I went to some other anti-SJW forums (/AntiSRS and/SRSSucks on Reddit in particular) and found more intelligent conversation on these issues than you'd ever find at FTB. And it's the same way here, all the juvenile antics aside.
I came for the juvenile antics, but stayed for the intelligent conversation.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I think I just won! :D

http://i.imgur.com/kVkPh73.jpg

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Lsuoma wrote:

Untitled 3.jpg
They have nothing else to go on so they make up increasingly bizarre shit. And the more and more absurd they become the more irrelevant they render themselves.

Laden, of course, was ALWAYS irrelevant. The only way he can even get people to notice him is to jump up and down in his playpen screaming until his bald pate turns purple like an engorged and tumescent bell end.

If PZ is a Dawkins wannabe then Laden is a PZ wannabe. How sad is that?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:Alright. I'm just going to highlight some gems from the Thunderdome. In no particular order.

[quote="Caine, "poisoned chalice"]Most women have had a chill girl phase. When you’re a chill girl, you accept internalized and external sexism, you consider it the norm, therefor you “side” with the guys. There was an excellent thread which addressed this, but it’s lost to NatGeo. Basically, we’re all still raised with the notion that men=human being, so we seek to be men, so to speak, by accepting their outlook as the right one.

A chill girl is one who would, frinst., indulge in slut shaming, considering it right to do. Not that long ago, in the douchebag thread, we had Renee Hendricks show up, she’s a classic chill girl and ‘pitter. She took up with another person who was decrying women in the military – she declared that there were jobs in the military women were not suited for at all, and she should know, because she had one of those jobs in the military. Ah, there it is, starts about here.
Well, there you have it. Chill girl, sister punisher, gender traitor, etc. Endorsed by Pharyngula and by proxy the FTB community. (Love the part about Renee. Nice touch.)[/quote]

They're *STILL* getting it wrong. Do they simply check their brains at the door before posting on FTB or what??? I stated that, in the job I had in the Army, there were very few women. For some reason, the soldering always came up as a problem and later, having to carry a cable that has the width of a fire hose and weights a massive amount a certain distance tended to be a problem for a lot of women as well.

That aside, I'm all for women in the military and am overjoyed that they are now allowed in combat positions (they already were but now they get the same pay/etal as their male counterparts).

I don't see what's so wrong with realizing that men and women are fucking different in some respects. It doesn't make one gender superior and the other not. It simply means there are fucking differences.

Bets that they'll *NEVER* see this shit and continue on with the lie?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I was checking for some additions to Tigzys thread when I came across this in a post by Theribbles. It's a 'song' by Josh Spokesgay - you know, their chosen representative for a wit off showdown.
Apparently it's meant to be a parody song about us, sung to the tune of Bonnie Tylers, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'.
Verse One
♫What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I was the king of the castle on the top of every pile

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I could say shit about boobiez and they’d just sit there and giggle and smile

What the fuck
Once upon a time there were no Skepchicks or Feminazis lurking
with a knife to my balls

What the fuck
Once upon a time I could play grab ass with co-eds and not get
kicked out of residence halls

Double down, Nice Guy
Once upon a time I was the bomb

Double down, DouchePie
Bitches now be tellin’ me I’m wrong

Chorus
♫I don’t think I heard that right
And I think you’re on your menses
So just lay back and squeeze me tight
And my peen’ll restore your senses

Cuz it’s only what’s normal and right,
The dick can never be wrong. . .
together we can take it till the end of my line
You can maybe have a climax if you guarantee mine

I’m just about to go, I’m right up on the edge
Now take those purty fingers stick ‘em into my wedge

You really put out tonight!
That pussy’s really out of sight
Now kindly go shut off the light.

Once upon a time I had snizz on demand
Now you say I ruin the mood
There’s nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the Dood.

Once upon time I never had to eat snatch
Now you say I’m boorish and rude
Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the Dood.

Verse Two
♫What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I was the king of the conference and the skeptics always clapped

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I could investigate Nessie and no atheists would
spout off their crap

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time you just invited your speakers with no worries
that the line-up was fair

What the fuck. . . .
Once upon a time I could go drink at the Del Mar without running
into Feminist Hair

Double down, Nice Guy
Ladies like to shop cuz evo-psych

Double Down, Douche Pie
If you don’t believe me you’re a dyke!

Chorus
♫Used to talk about the spooks
That’s how we knew we all were Skeptics
In the days of bending spoons
Before the fems got all dyspeptic

We could hoggle our brains out all night
Cuz we could never be wrong. . .
You could count on Penn and Teller being douchebags all night
Reminisce on Uri Geller ’til the morning’s first light

Rebecca Watson’s a blight!
And Amy with her stoneware bling
The reasons we can’t have nice things.. .

Once upon a time ladies stayed in their place
You could have a cup of coffee or two
Nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the Doodz

Once upon a time it was Grothe and Tam
The ladies just provided the boobz
Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the Doodz.

A total eclipse of the Doodz.

Double down, Nice Guy
Double down, Doo-ouche Pie. . .
What the fuck indeed. :lol:

Funnily enough, I can picture Josh dancing around to this tune.
Josh is one entitled and presumptuous twat to declare himself "Official Spokes Gay". Myself, and every other self respecting fag I know would be embarrassed to be associated with him. I don't know any other homo with the exception of a few "radical fairies"(who are really just attention seekers)who hold views even close to his. Not only is he not a spokes gay but I question whether he is gay at all and not a gay wannabee.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Hey, Pitchguest - do you have a link for that particular piece of vomit that mentions my name?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

PZ Phelps.

Fucking love it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote: They're *STILL* getting it wrong. Do they simply check their brains at the door before posting on FTB or what???
Brains?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Angry_Drunk wrote:He's a very, very stupid person. My favorite is the time he accused Welch of launching a Denial of Service attack on his blog via the advanced hacking technique of pasting a large amount of text into a comments field.
He probably once copy/pasted all of Finnegan's Wake into a "What's Your Favorite Book" form field, crashed his browser, and thought the InnerTubes collapsed.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: They're *STILL* getting it wrong. Do they simply check their brains at the door before posting on FTB or what???
Brains?
Clearly I was making an assumption. Bad Renee.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:PZ Phelps.

Fucking love it.
Fred Myers wears a racist hat, just like PZ Phelps:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SI5RA29zH5A/T ... Phelps.png

Shoppers, start your photo editors!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Oh Greg, don't you ever change. Like by becoming somewhat competent.
herpderp.png
Remaking "The Pink Panther" was a crime against humanity. If only they'd thought to cast Laden as Clouseau...

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Untitled 3.jpg
HE NEEDS TO APOLOGISE OR I'LL MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT HIM!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

So PZ posts about a company that does racist and sexist car paintings such as "Its better 2 be black than gay, Cos you dont have 2 tell your parents....". From what I can see, the company is full of shit, so I was agreeing with what I was reading until suddenly I get to the following:
It’s easy to assume that the only people who’d hire a Wicked Camper would be either desperate German tourists or dreadlocked “dudes” who like to play the same four bars of a Jack Johnson song for five hours every night ...
WTF??? How the fuck is it okay to insinuate that the Germans are racists given that it's a very sensitive accusation given their history? It's like these people see nobody else other than women or black people (or latinos). Apparently if you are racist against other people it's fine and dandy.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

rocko2466 wrote:
Apples wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

Give her lego. Fuck.
Lego is sexist!
[youtube]CrmRxGLn0Bk[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I was checking for some additions to Tigzys thread when I came across this in a post by Theribbles. It's a 'song' by Josh Spokesgay - you know, their chosen representative for a wit off showdown.
Apparently it's meant to be a parody song about us, sung to the tune of Bonnie Tylers, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'.
Bonnie Tyler? He admits publicly to listening to that dreck?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Scented Nectar wrote: That's what their dream is. Superiority over, and oppression of, men. Not equality. Most radfems, like the ones who run the women-only Michigan festival, are actually against the Equal Rights Amendment because they WANT to discriminate against men, but the ERA would not let them if it were to be passed into law. They don't really want equality. They want extra rights and perks for women only. They see themselves in a constant state of 'deserving' and forever in need of compensation.
That's a great summary of what I've had to gloomily conclude over the years.
I seem to remember an exchange (possibly involving Marcotte) where someone pointed out that, under the proposed New Order, a woman who was merely annoyed with a man could ruin his life at a whim without consequence. The response was (more or less verbatim); "Well, then don't annoy women".
At best, this is not adult behavior. More likely, it's solipsism run amok.
If anyone remembers the exchange in question, please tell me if I'm misattributing it.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Ape+lust wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:He's a very, very stupid person. My favorite is the time he accused Welch of launching a Denial of Service attack on his blog via the advanced hacking technique of pasting a large amount of text into a comments field.
He probably once copy/pasted all of Finnegan's Wake into a "What's Your Favorite Book" form field, crashed his browser, and thought the InnerTubes collapsed.
Uh-oh - you just gave Physioproffe an idea for his next iteration of "I'll just copy and paste this entire novel into my blog."

cunt

Post by cunt »

jimthepleb wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Apples wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

Give her lego. Fuck.
Lego is sexist!
Jesus, I got 6 minutes into that. JUST DON'T BUY THAT LEGO THEN. BUY THE REGULAR LEGO. ITS FUCKING LEGO.

Apples

Post by Apples »

PZ gets email .... from older ladies who deeply appreciate his white-knighting of Rebecca Watson:
Worshipful old lady fan wrote: Dear PZ Myers,

I read your blog. The place from which I love and appreciate your blog is deep, deep within this 59 year old woman’s self. I started reading your blog because of my interest in science. I am an amateur follower of anthropology news and started out reading John Hawks’ blog, then somehow ended up at Panda’s Thumb and then at your blog; and those 3 blogs still remain a core reading set for me.

But your blog has held me captive more intensely than any other and I return to it “religiously” in ways I don’t with the others. The reason being–you publicly stand as an ally of women and feminism.
(bolding mine)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 555424.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -email-23/

JAB

Post by JAB »

[quote="LMU"in 6157]

The deal with the harassment policies as it seemed to me is that if you want to implement a solution for a problem, then you need to do this:

1) Show that the problem exists.
2) Show that your solution would solve the problem.
3) Implement your solution.

They wanted to skip right to 3 when they hadn't done 1 or 2. Instead they appealed to emotion and then smeared those who didn't take them at their word.[/quote]

True, but that isn't the problem they're trying to fix. The problem they're trying to fix is that people weren't paying enough attention to them.

And actually, your process misses a couple of steps if your really want to solve their stated problem. Step 1a should be to measure the problem in some way, preferably in a few distinct communities. Step 4 would be to try your solution out and remeasure to see if there was any improvement. Tweek your solution and go back to 3. Doing it in different communities at first would allow you to try several solutions in your first time through step 3 and therefore converge on the best solution fastest.

But they don't actually state the problem they really want to solve.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Fucking hell. These people just hate it when companies do market analysis and come out with what kids want. Sure, they've been socialised into it but if Lego markets outside of that, it probably won't attract the custom they want to for their corporate profits.

Lego can't expected to just give up on profits to satisfy the feminists.

And it sortof has to be expected that, in societies where women are the primary caregivers, daughters are going to want to emulate their mothers by doing the things that they primarily see their mothers doing. That's not in itself a bad thing and I think the feminists should be careful not to assume that motherhood (or even a satisfying home life in a loving spousal relationship) is actually a bad thing. Feminists don't have to work outside of the home to be feminists. That would be placing the male gender role on the female and undervaluing exceptionally important part of human reproduction and communities.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

cunt wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: Lego is sexist!
Jesus, I got 6 minutes into that. JUST DON'T BUY THAT LEGO THEN. BUY THE REGULAR LEGO. ITS FUCKING LEGO.
Yeah I don't get that either. Lego is making and marketing the product so that *parents* can buy it for their kids. If you want to blame anyone, you should blame the parents that don't buy normal lego sets for their girls and instead wait for the company to make pink and purple "girly" lego sets. When I was a kid, I had normal lego set, with no humans or buildings or any of that crap. Just some blocks and you could build anything you wanted out of that. What's stop parents from buying those for their girls? Nothing. It's Anita Sarkisian who seems to believe that the normal ordinary featureless lego building blocks are not suitable for girls and that the company should somehow create a totally new product just for the girls.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Trophy wrote:
Yeah I don't get that either. Lego is making and marketing the product so that *parents* can buy it for their kids. If you want to blame anyone, you should blame the parents that don't buy normal lego sets for their girls and instead wait for the company to make pink and purple "girly" lego sets. When I was a kid, I had normal lego set, with no humans or buildings or any of that crap. Just some blocks and you could build anything you wanted out of that. What's stop parents from buying those for their girls? Nothing. It's Anita Sarkisian who seems to believe that the normal ordinary featureless lego building blocks are not suitable for girls and that the company should somehow create a totally new product just for the girls.
That's where I was scratching my head as well. My parents purchased generic Legos for me when I was a kid and I have purchased both the generic and the supposed "boy" sets for all three of my kids (2 girls and a boy).

Oh, and I still fail to see how purple is a "girl" color.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

cunt wrote: Jesus, I got 6 minutes into that. JUST DON'T BUY THAT LEGO THEN. BUY THE REGULAR LEGO. ITS FUCKING LEGO.
I also just realised she first complained that Lego was mainly marketed to boys (assumed, not proven in the video) and then said that this stuff marketed to girls was sexist because of colours and setting. If you took away the colours and settings and take it to more traditional Lego settings what do you get? Ordinary fucking Lego. How are they supposed to do ordinary Lego any different to appeal to girls if they can't do what they did? The thing is they can't.

It's the feminist paradox. No matter what you do, society ends up sexist. Each scenario and its opposite is sexist. Might mean that the ideology is ... Ideological.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Lsuoma wrote:

Untitled 3.jpg

The next thing will be some delicate flower recovering memories of secret Slymepit rituals complete with child sacrifice.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Trophy wrote:
cunt wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: Lego is sexist!
[wootube]CrmRxGLn0Bk[/wootube]
Yeah I don't get that either. Lego is making and marketing the product so that *parents* can buy it for their kids. If you want to blame anyone, you should blame the parents that don't buy normal lego sets for their girls and instead wait for the company to make pink and purple "girly" lego sets. When I was a kid, I had normal lego set, with no humans or buildings or any of that crap. Just some blocks and you could build anything you wanted out of that. What's stop parents from buying those for their girls? Nothing. It's Anita Sarkisian who seems to believe that the normal ordinary featureless lego building blocks are not suitable for girls and that the company should somehow create a totally new product just for the girls you should give her another $250,000 to do "research" on LEGO that will strike a blow to the heart of the patriarchy. When she gets around to it. Also, don't ask why she's bitching about freaking LEGO when she is supposed to be doing that longitudinal video game sexism hummina-hummina study .
Fixed that for you.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

cunt wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?video=CrmRxGLn0Bk

LEGO gave the girls power drills... but good heavens, they're PURPLE!

I would love to take the dolls from a 5-year-old Sarkeesian and hand her a power drill. Tell her her tears are for a greater cause.

Meanwhile girls in the real world are behaving in a decidedly non-ideological way, the brats.
While toymaker LEGO was criticized for perpetuating gender stereotypes with its LEGO Friends toy sets for girls earlier this year, the Danish company has said the controversy may have helped triple sales to girls.

At the end of 2011, of the total number of LEGO sets purchased in the U.S., only 9 percent of them were for girls. The company now says its first half year of LEGO Friends availability “has been very successful in recruiting more girls to the LEGO building experience, dramatically increasing that number.” Now, 27 percent of LEGO sets purchased in the U.S. are for girls.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... -critique/

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rocko2466 wrote:
cunt wrote: Jesus, I got 6 minutes into that. JUST DON'T BUY THAT LEGO THEN. BUY THE REGULAR LEGO. ITS FUCKING LEGO.
I also just realised she first complained that Lego was mainly marketed to boys (assumed, not proven in the video) and then said that this stuff marketed to girls was sexist because of colours and setting. If you took away the colours and settings and take it to more traditional Lego settings what do you get? Ordinary fucking Lego. How are they supposed to do ordinary Lego any different to appeal to girls if they can't do what they did? The thing is they can't.

It's the feminist paradox. No matter what you do, society ends up sexist. Each scenario and its opposite is sexist. Might mean that the ideology is ... Ideological.
I could be wrong but I think the idea (and I only got 5.5 minutes into the vid before I got bored and stopped watching it) is to perhaps create a set similar to what they created, remove the pink/purple theme, make the girls look more like the boy lego people, put some pants on those girls, and perhaps put places like a laboratory or an operating theater (that actually made me laugh as I just thought of lego "guts") or other venues that feminists approve of.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

rocko2466 wrote:

Her eyebrows are also drawn in with pencil. Just sayin'.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Hey, Pitchguest - do you have a link for that particular piece of vomit that mentions my name?
Certainly.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-556346