Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
Percentage

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Percentage »

Is anyone else starting to get seriously weirded out by this Chris Clarke guy? He's recently made a few hamfisted feminist posts- nothing new about that, or interesting, really. But what is interesting is that I don't think I've read through a single one of his posts without assuming it was by PZ. Sometimes I'll catch my error later on- I'm going to assume there are probably a bunch that I've just missed entirely.

The rest of the FtB'ers may be politically identical, but at the very least they have distinct personalities- if the names were removed, I could still tell Benson from Thibeault from McCreight, etc. But Clarke might as well have been grown in a vat for all the variety he adds to Pharyngula.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Percentage wrote:Is anyone else starting to get seriously weirded out by this Chris Clarke guy? He's recently made a few hamfisted feminist posts- nothing new about that, or interesting, really. But what is interesting is that I don't think I've read through a single one of his posts without assuming it was by PZ. Sometimes I'll catch my error later on- I'm going to assume there are probably a bunch that I've just missed entirely.

The rest of the FtB'ers may be politically identical, but at the very least they have distinct personalities- if the names were removed, I could still tell Benson from Thibeault from McCreight, etc. But Clarke might as well have been grown in a vat for all the variety he adds to Pharyngula.
That whole A+ and FTB crowd are a bunch of fucking gremlins!
[youtube]/watch?v=h24CFZqSEAA[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Jack wrote:Thanks for that article. The A+ forums were predicted to go this way almost from its inception. It did, to no one's surprised except the extremists and the naive (such as Dillahunty who I otherwise have a lot of respect for) Parts of FtB will go the same way sooner or later but I have a feeling they are trying to pull back. I saw some evidence of this from a few days back.

We will see. The problem is they have stirred up so much hate towards their detractors and so many of them have completely bought into their myopic views it will be very hard for them to reverse it, the damage has been done. Many of their followers seem to be extremely brittle and easily persuaded. When you feed someone's delusion and anxiety disorder you have to keep going or they go elsewhere for their fix. They will not want to lose that support.

I consider some of the leaders to be culpable in inciting hatred and fear to maintain their own power positions. Other leaders are simply seriously deluded or trying to fight their own demons (Laden) I would feel very guilty if my blogs and posts incited those sorts of reactions even if I felt I was right. I would reconsider my approach. Do they have no sense of shame? I consider many on FtB/A+ to be victims, as I do people who are in a cult or the Phelps clan. I feel sorry for them. I even feel sorry for people like Oolon who they are using as a pawn. Once they are done with him he will be spat out and left to rot. They all will be when it suits them.

As to Oolon's bot, I think it is funny. These people are the gift that never stops giving.
Did you go by ArgyleRoad on A+?
I asked Jack that a few days ago. Claims not to be the same person.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

ERV wrote:ffs.
How about we sell the Vatican instead?
I have a feeling Catholics won’t like my solution to their monetary problems.
But here’s an idea. Instead of relying on poor and middle class Catholics to save your child-molesting ass, why not get help from the head honcho? The Vatican’s worth is somewhere between 10 and 15 billion dollars. To save the Los Angeles diocese, the Vatican would have to sell a couple pieces from their mind bogglingly enormous art collection or maybe melt down a couple of the solid gold objects that are just lying around St. Peter’s Basilica.
DERP! YOUR IDEA IS SOOO GRATE!!!! DEEEEEERP!!!!
[youtube]3bObItmxAGc[/youtube]
"The Vatican’s worth is somewhere between 10 and 15 billion dollars."

That around 50,000,000 to 75,000,000 Fluevogs.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Percentage wrote:Is anyone else starting to get seriously weirded out by this Chris Clarke guy? He's recently made a few hamfisted feminist posts- nothing new about that, or interesting, really. But what is interesting is that I don't think I've read through a single one of his posts without assuming it was by PZ. Sometimes I'll catch my error later on- I'm going to assume there are probably a bunch that I've just missed entirely.

Yeah, I noticed that a couple of weeks ago. Thought the post was by PZ, until CC mentioned his psych meds or diagnosis (which also might pertain to PZ, but I've never heard or seen him mention). Seemed odd, like CC is an alter ego.

The similarity seems more apparent in the topic posts; in their comments in-thread, they're easier to distinguish - not only by their avatars, but also because PZ usually seems to be screaming in red all caps or otherwise freaking out, whereas CC maintains a calmer demeanor.

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my ghost[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Skep tickle wrote:Yeah, I noticed that a couple of weeks ago. Thought the post was by PZ, until CC mentioned his psych meds or diagnosis (which also might pertain to PZ, but I've never heard or seen him mention). Seemed odd, like CC is an alter ego.
The similarity seems more apparent in the topic posts; in their comments in-thread, they're easier to distinguish - not only by their avatars, but also because PZ usually seems to be screaming in red all caps or otherwise freaking out, whereas CC maintains a calmer demeanor.
I remarked previously that they even both look disturbingly similar.
But they also very much resemble the Captain of the SS Titanic.
Reincarnation?
Cloning?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Two things stemming from Oolon's "Dealing With Twitter Trolls : Software Project" thread at Atheism+ forum:

1) Someone here noticed ceepolk's twitter account in the block_bot's twitter feed - that was oolon sending an "#AddAuthorisedUser" for her account (not blocking her)

2) Hypocrisy alert (yeah, shocking, hunh): Why are FTB/A+ allies given a pass when they use words that would be jumped on as "ableist" when used by non-allies? Below, in 2 of his posts in that A+ thread (including the opening post), Oolon uses "moron" and "idiot", with several of the instances being copies of tweets he sent for this blocking thing. Yet noone comments in the A+ thread on his use of those words - not a peep (so far, that I saw). (Color added by me in the quotes below, for emphasis.)
Re: Dealing With Twitter Trolls : Software Project
Postby oolon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 pm

ceepolk wrote:SERIOUSLY DOE.

This is something that will make twitter a much nicer place.

So I'm assuming you won't object to me having just added you as an authorised user?

Send Tweets like this ->
@the_block_bot #BlockSaturday please block #misogynist1 #transphobe2
You can be inventive... My recent one was ->
@The_Block_Bot #BlockSaturday please block the egregious moron #jimthepleb Every day is block saturday!
Dealing With Twitter Trolls : Software Project
Postby oolon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm

OK so here is mine and Aratina Cages little project, which I think comes under the remit of A+ to a greater or lesser extent.

How do you deal with Twitter trolls? For example the harassment Jen McCreight got during her hiatus from blogging, she specifically asked not to be bothered as she was working through a period of depression. That was a red flag to the morons on Twitter and since she strangely enough wanted to keep her social network going during this time it allowed them to attack her and get attention. This sort of harassment is likely putting other people off Twitter since harassers can direct message and tweet to you over night giving you a lovely pile of rubbish to clear up in the morning -> i.e. Stephanies example, TW (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... m-shaming/)

Enter @The_Block_Bot ... Described here -> http://www.oolon.co.uk/?page_id=159 --> IN BETA and a proof of concept only.

In a nutshell it is a central shared block list --> if you authorise the app it will auto block any trolls/morons/bigots on its list so they cannot follow, DM or tweet you unless you want them to by specifically following them. So the bot will block everyone on its list unless you are following them... It essentially means other people can block unpleasant messages for you as there are two blockers at the moment (Me and Aratina) but we can easily add others.

There is a mechanism for moron spotters to tweet to the bot and block people - so if you are an authorised user you can tweet this to add people to the block list. -->
@the_block_bot #BlockSaturday please block these idiots #OpheIiaBenson #ElevatorGate #BreadGod1
At the signup page, http://www.oolon.co.uk/the_block_bot/connect.php, he uses "moron" twice:
Or if you want to be a blocker and have access to add morons to the blocklist then ask and we'll add
you, assuming you are not a moron ;-)
Actually, I'm not sure why but they don't seem to call out "moron" as readily as ableist language at A+ (nor, I think, at Pharyngula). A search of "moron" brings up 32 instances, only a few of which are in threads discussion ableism/language: http://atheismplus.com/forums/search.php?keywords=moron. Which is weird because "moron" was created (and published in an education journal) in 1910 as a formal term by an educated man (or group of men) to use to refer to adults with what's now called developmental delay. That seems much more purposefully patriarchal (and privileged/ableist) than other words that set them off. But, then, consistency is not necessarily their strong suit; you knew that already.

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my A+ dick[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Skep tickle wrote:But, then, consistency is not necessarily their strong suit; you knew that already.
But they ARE consistent!
Consistently inconsistent.
Consistently hypocritical.
Consistently seeking pity.
Consistently infantile.
Consistently lying.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I was checking for some additions to Tigzys thread when I came across this in a post by Theribbles. It's a 'song' by Josh Spokesgay - you know, their chosen representative for a wit off showdown.
Apparently it's meant to be a parody song about us, sung to the tune of Bonnie Tylers, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'.
Verse One
♫What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I was the king of the castle on the top of every pile

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I could say shit about boobiez and they’d just sit there and giggle and smile

What the fuck
Once upon a time there were no Skepchicks or Feminazis lurking
with a knife to my balls

What the fuck
Once upon a time I could play grab ass with co-eds and not get
kicked out of residence halls

Double down, Nice Guy
Once upon a time I was the bomb

Double down, DouchePie
Bitches now be tellin’ me I’m wrong

Chorus
♫I don’t think I heard that right
And I think you’re on your menses
So just lay back and squeeze me tight
And my peen’ll restore your senses

Cuz it’s only what’s normal and right,
The dick can never be wrong. . .
together we can take it till the end of my line
You can maybe have a climax if you guarantee mine

I’m just about to go, I’m right up on the edge
Now take those purty fingers stick ‘em into my wedge

You really put out tonight!
That pussy’s really out of sight
Now kindly go shut off the light.

Once upon a time I had snizz on demand
Now you say I ruin the mood
There’s nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the Dood.

Once upon time I never had to eat snatch
Now you say I’m boorish and rude
Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the Dood.

Verse Two
♫What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I was the king of the conference and the skeptics always clapped

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time I could investigate Nessie and no atheists would
spout off their crap

What the fuck. . .
Once upon a time you just invited your speakers with no worries
that the line-up was fair

What the fuck. . . .
Once upon a time I could go drink at the Del Mar without running
into Feminist Hair

Double down, Nice Guy
Ladies like to shop cuz evo-psych

Double Down, Douche Pie
If you don’t believe me you’re a dyke!

Chorus
♫Used to talk about the spooks
That’s how we knew we all were Skeptics
In the days of bending spoons
Before the fems got all dyspeptic

We could hoggle our brains out all night
Cuz we could never be wrong. . .
You could count on Penn and Teller being douchebags all night
Reminisce on Uri Geller ’til the morning’s first light

Rebecca Watson’s a blight!
And Amy with her stoneware bling
The reasons we can’t have nice things.. .

Once upon a time ladies stayed in their place
You could have a cup of coffee or two
Nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the Doodz

Once upon a time it was Grothe and Tam
The ladies just provided the boobz
Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the Doodz.

A total eclipse of the Doodz.

Double down, Nice Guy
Double down, Doo-ouche Pie. . .
What the fuck indeed. :lol:

Funnily enough, I can picture Josh dancing around to this tune.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

And here's what that picture looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/qNaCsZc.jpg

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

All of this talk of "Creepy clowns" reminded me of this grisly little YT gem. Note: Utterly sublime music towards the end.

*Warning* Contains undead clown rape, cannibalism and an Ophelia Benson lookalike.

[youtube]dG8wsae-6tU[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:Two things stemming from Oolon's "Dealing With Twitter Trolls : Software Project" thread at Atheism+ forum:

1) Someone here noticed ceepolk's twitter account in the block_bot's twitter feed - that was oolon sending an "#AddAuthorisedUser" for her account (not blocking her)

2) Hypocrisy alert (yeah, shocking, hunh): Why are FTB/A+ allies given a pass when they use words that would be jumped on as "ableist" when used by non-allies? Below, in 2 of his posts in that A+ thread (including the opening post), Oolon uses "moron" and "idiot", with several of the instances being copies of tweets he sent for this blocking thing. Yet noone comments in the A+ thread on his use of those words - not a peep (so far, that I saw). (Color added by me in the quotes below, for emphasis.)

<snip>
But, then, consistency is not necessarily their strong suit; you knew that already.
Interesting example of an apparently fairly common phenomenon. Apropos of which, something from Michael Shermer’s The Believing Brain (highly recommended, although it of course has some questionable arguments) that you might be interested in:
As we saw in the previous chapter, politics is filled with self-justifying rationalizations. Democrats see the world through liberal-tinted glasses, while Republicans filter it through conservative shaded glasses. When you listen to both “conservative talk radio” and “progressive talk radio” you will hear current events interpreted in ways that are 180 degrees out of phase. So incongruent are the interpretations of even the simplest goings-on in the daily news that you wonder if they can possibly be talking about the same event. Social psychologist Geoffrey Cohen quantified this effect in a study in which he discovered that Democrats are more accepting of a welfare program if they believe it was proposed by a fellow Democrat, even if the proposal came from a Republican and is quite restrictive. Predictably, Cohen found the same effect for Republicans who were far more likely to approve of a generous welfare program if they thought it was proposed by a fellow Republican. In other words, even when examining the exact same data people from both parties arrive at radically different conclusions. [pg #263]
And, maybe somewhat more problematically though maybe more pertinently, while I certainly haven’t unraveled all of the knotty details in the situation, the recent descriptions by Damion and Zvan on the “decamping” of SlymePit 1.0 from ScienceBlogs from the viewpoints of both The Pit and Freethought Blogs likewise suggests equally incongruent interpretations “180 degrees out of phase”. Curious and curiouser ….

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Jack wrote:Thanks for that article. The A+ forums were predicted to go this way almost from its inception. It did, to no one's surprised except the extremists and the naive (such as Dillahunty who I otherwise have a lot of respect for) Parts of FtB will go the same way sooner or later but I have a feeling they are trying to pull back. I saw some evidence of this from a few days back.

We will see. The problem is they have stirred up so much hate towards their detractors and so many of them have completely bought into their myopic views it will be very hard for them to reverse it, the damage has been done. Many of their followers seem to be extremely brittle and easily persuaded. When you feed someone's delusion and anxiety disorder you have to keep going or they go elsewhere for their fix. They will not want to lose that support.

I consider some of the leaders to be culpable in inciting hatred and fear to maintain their own power positions. Other leaders are simply seriously deluded or trying to fight their own demons (Laden) I would feel very guilty if my blogs and posts incited those sorts of reactions even if I felt I was right. I would reconsider my approach. Do they have no sense of shame? I consider many on FtB/A+ to be victims, as I do people who are in a cult or the Phelps clan. I feel sorry for them. I even feel sorry for people like Oolon who they are using as a pawn. Once they are done with him he will be spat out and left to rot. They all will be when it suits them.

As to Oolon's bot, I think it is funny. These people are the gift that never stops giving.
Did you go by ArgyleRoad on A+?
I asked Jack that a few days ago. Claims not to be the same person.
I thought the question was some pop reference to a soap opera or something. Anyway, no I'm not.

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my sox[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jack wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Did you go by ArgyleRoad on A+?
I thought the question was some pop reference to a soap opera or something. Anyway, no I'm not.
Argyle-road?
If that is not an oblique reference to a sock-puppet, I don't know what is!
http://dailyfig.figment.com/wp-content/ ... argyle.jpg
Nae true Argyle Socks.
I'll wager that Andrew69 has a few stuffed down his underpants.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Jack wrote:
Argyle-road?
Nae true Argyle Socks.
Damn, you got me, I was so hoping to take over the world by next week. I'll have to switch to cunning plan number 2 code name 'I'll take the high road'. Operation bagpipes is finished.

AndrewV69

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my sox[/spoiler]

Post by AndrewV69 »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Jack wrote:
Argyle-road?
Nae true Argyle Socks.
Nay sir! Not I.

Closest I ever came to anything like that, was one of my staff who was fond of wearing brown shoes with red laces in one, and green in the other. Died a few years ago. Very valuable fellow. Sadly missed.

Auditors were very afraid of him, not because of his footware, but because he took it upon himself to educate any auditor who was unlucky enough to draw the short straw for my department, on how to do the job properly.

The hapless auditor, and for some strange reason they appeared to send in someone very new and very junior every year, would find himself being coached, supervised, and micro managed through every aspect of the audit, by a member of the department he was supposed to be auditing.

When I got a copy of the report, I would hand it to him, and sure enough, an essay on how to improve the audit the next time would follow, to be sent to the auditor and his supervisor.

I have very fond memories of that man sir. I am however reasonably certain, that the Audit department did not share that sentiment for some strange reason.

JAB

Post by JAB »

I just wonder if CC will ever get the credit for having ghost written PZ's book... the project that languished on the back burner until shortly after CC showed up on the scene.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Lousy Canuck ALMOST had all the bases covered. I used his lapse in isolationist ideology to make clear the issues I would like him to resolve. Then I screencapped it cause everytime I think about the look on his face when he sees me answer directly after he brags about shutting the big bad slymepit comments down makes me giggle....can't help it

http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/Image12.png

Michael K Gray

Re: Now spooked by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

JAB wrote:

I just wonder if CC will ever get the credit for having ghost written PZ's book... the project that languished on the back burner until shortly after CC showed up on the scene.
Cue music sting: The Twilight Drone:
There is a noughth dimension, beneath that which is known to woman.
It is a dimension as karst as a safe-space and as gormless as infinity.
It is the middle earth between light and shadow, between sciencey-stuff and superstition, and it lies between the pit of rapist's fears and the summit of Myer's knowledge.
This is the dimension of stagnation.
It is an area which we call the Happy Atheist.

(Although: not the dick-tionary version of a-theist, because that is just wrong by dint of fiat of Pope PZ)

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

This Thunderdome thread is right up there with the weirder eruptions from the A+ forum. It appears that the regular inhabitants of the Pharyngula Monkey Island are composed of a peculiar mix of genuinely traumatized people, deranged loons and radicalized nutters with totalitarian tendencies. These categories are not mutually exclusive. Some of the nastier members of the commentariat are among the most traumatized, which is not an excuse, but offers part of an explanation for their nastiness (Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner). They write some intensely personal stuff here, as if they are oblivious to being watched by all the visitors to their crappy little zoo. It is far from me to make fun of their experiences, but I do question the sanity of people who consider a place like Pharyngula a ‘safe space’.

It’s amusing to watch them bicker among themselves over this ‘safe space’ concept. Tony the Queer Shoop is an extra special snowflake who needs to be protected against the bully John Morales by sister Caine:
Also, John, your deliberate strikes at Tony were just a method of silencing, to get him and others to get the fuck out of your precious bastion of virginal vestige of what you remember to be Pharyngula, so that “your” space isn’t tainted. It doesn’t much matter whether you see it that way, either. What matters if the effect you have on Tony and other people about speaking up in “your” space.
But that Peezus clone Chris Clarke is a total fruitcake on steroids. He bans abear for being mentioned on the ‘Pit? By that criterion he should ban a whole troop of his fellow baboons, including himself.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... nt-page-2/

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Hehehehhehehehe

Read my Twitter feed and conversation with Oolon!

It is hilarious!!

https://twitter.com/AssamTii

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my twit[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Hehehehhehehehe

It is hilarious!!

That link is so one-sided that I cannot view the tweets to which you are responding, rendering it essentially meaningless.
Does not twitter have a link that you can proffer that shows the to-n-fro?

Otherwise it less than useless.

Philip of Tealand

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my twit[/spoiler]

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:Hehehehhehehehe

It is hilarious!!

That link is so one-sided that I cannot view the tweets to which you are responding, rendering it essentially meaningless.
Does not twitter have a link that you can proffer that shows the to-n-fro?

Otherwise it less than useless.
i need to go to lunch but I will provide the screen shots at some point, sorry, I thought all could read it

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote:This Thunderdome thread is right up there with the weirder eruptions from the A+ forum. It appears that the regular inhabitants of the Pharyngula Monkey Island are composed of a peculiar mix of genuinely traumatized people, deranged loons and radicalized nutters with totalitarian tendencies. These categories are not mutually exclusive. Some of the nastier members of the commentariat are among the most traumatized, which is not an excuse, but offers part of an explanation for their nastiness (Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner). They write some intensely personal stuff here, as if they are oblivious to being watched by all the visitors to their crappy little zoo. It is far from me to make fun of their experiences, but I do question the sanity of people who consider a place like Pharyngula a ‘safe space’.

It’s amusing to watch them bicker among themselves over this ‘safe space’ concept. Tony the Queer Shoop is an extra special snowflake who needs to be protected against the bully John Morales by sister Caine:
Also, John, your deliberate strikes at Tony were just a method of silencing, to get him and others to get the fuck out of your precious bastion of virginal vestige of what you remember to be Pharyngula, so that “your” space isn’t tainted. It doesn’t much matter whether you see it that way, either. What matters if the effect you have on Tony and other people about speaking up in “your” space.
But that Peezus clone Chris Clarke is a total fruitcake on steroids. He bans abear for being mentioned on the ‘Pit? By that criterion he should ban a whole troop of his fellow baboons, including himself.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... nt-page-2/
Agreed on the Clarke clone, and he's certainly encouraging the PeeZus party line of painting all of us as misogynists, racists, anti-environmentalists (wtf?), etc. Moreover, he seems like he might be prone to violence:

Chris Clarke
8 February 2013 at 12:25 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
If, hypothetically speaking, the only way to do that was to find common cause with misogynists, then my choice would be “fuck atheism.”

Fortunately, it’s those same misogynists who have been holding atheism back from wider approval by the people whom it can do the most good. The sooner those misogynists get kicked to the curb, the better for atheism.
Do you get to decide who the misogynists are, Chris Clarke? Because you and the followers of PeeZus don't seem to be interested in actual evidence.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Reap wrote:Lousy Canuck ALMOST had all the bases covered. I used his lapse in isolationist ideology to make clear the issues I would like him to resolve. Then I screencapped it cause everytime I think about the look on his face when he sees me answer directly after he brags about shutting the big bad slymepit comments down makes me giggle....can't help it

http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/Image12.png
And that's the thing. They want to freeroll EVERYTHING. They want everything they want at zero cost to themselves, because they're 100% right on everything and everybody else is wrong in every way that doesn't match what they believe/want.

And they want it RIGHT NOW. It's a bunch of spoiled little children taking a temper tantrum, really.

Even assuming that I agreed with them say..half the time...(I don't. The more I learn about these issues the more I'm finding that they're just wrong all the time in the details, even if they have the right goals) that's still not good enough. Hell. Even if I agreed with them 90% of the time. That's still not good enough for them. They want perfection and they want it NAO.

They want us to accept their version of "feminism" as if it's a basic law of the universe. It's a far too simple model to explain something that's far too complicated to be honest. Hell, I don't even accept some of the stuff that comes from Economics 101 (and to a lesser extent 102) for the same reason.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:And they want it RIGHT NOW. It's a bunch of spoiled little children taking a temper tantrum, really.
You've come a long way since your old A+Theism days, Karmakin, and I want to sincerely congratulate you for so bravely opening your eyes to evidence & reason, and ditching the strangling yoke of their pathetic playground cult.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

welch wrote: Depends on the sabbatical. I know that some larger companies, i.e. Adobe grant them, and they're supposed to be "fuck off and do what you find really, really interesting, recharge, and come back refreshed. If what you do helps us, great. Either way, forget about this place for a nice long while" deals.

They are rather nice for employee retention.
Myers is an academic at a state university, and sabbaticals in academia have purposes different than those you describe for companies. For research faculty, a sabbatical might involve writing a scholarly book or manuscripts, spending time in another lab learning different experimental techniques, researching museum collections, or just being released from teaching duties to focus on research projects and collaborations in one's own lab. For teaching faculty, a sabbatical might involve writing a scholarly book or manuscripts, pursuing an education research project, spending time observing/participating in another university's educational programs, or developing curriculum.

That being said, sabbaticals can be granted or denied depending on any number of legitimate or completely whimsical considerations, and the process is subject to a considerable amount of bias.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Wild Zontargs wrote:Older article, but seems relevant: Evaporative Cooling of Group Beliefs, or Crazy is Self-Concentrating. It mainly deals with cults where the mostly-sane realize things are nutty and piss off, leaving the group that much loonier. Now we see what happens when the cult actively drives off the saner members.
Someone posted that a while ago, but it is good to think about and worth posting again.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

BarnOwl wrote:
Agreed on the Clarke clone, and he's certainly encouraging the PeeZus party line of painting all of us as misogynists, racists, anti-environmentalists (wtf?), etc. Moreover, he seems like he might be prone to violence:

Chris Clarke
8 February 2013 at 12:25 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
If, hypothetically speaking, the only way to do that was to find common cause with misogynists, then my choice would be “fuck atheism.”

Fortunately, it’s those same misogynists who have been holding atheism back from wider approval by the people whom it can do the most good. The sooner those misogynists get kicked to the curb, the better for atheism.
Do you get to decide who the misogynists are, Chris Clarke? Because you and the followers of PeeZus don't seem to be interested in actual evidence.
"Fortunately, it’s those same misogynists who have been holding atheism back from wider approval by the people whom it can do the most good."

I think it is more likely that ranting demagogues like Peezus and Clarke are the ones who have been holding atheism back from wider approval, especially since those 'misogynists', with very few exceptions, only exist in the fantasy world of their own propaganda.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:And they want it RIGHT NOW. It's a bunch of spoiled little children taking a temper tantrum, really.
You've come a long way since your old A+Theism days, Karmakin, and I want to sincerely congratulate you for so bravely opening your eyes to evidence & reason, and ditching the strangling yoke of their pathetic playground cult.
Well thanks. Thing is, I still believe that our society is really fucked up in a lot of ways. But after doing a LOT of reading of various views on it, I can no longer support pretty much any form of identity politics.

I said some pretty crazy stuff in the past...and to be honest I still think that given a certain set of circumstances, the "crazy stuff" is still probably correct in my mind. If sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away then strong anti-harassment measures based upon actions, and not feelings, may be needed. But I simply think that circumstance doesn't exist. I don't think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.

For any of the bigots that may be reading, that doesn't mean that I think said harassment doesn't exist. It's that I think that it's comparable to other similar social situations, and that most people realize this.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Well thanks. Thing is, I still believe that our society is really fucked up in a lot of ways. But after doing a LOT of reading of various views on it, I can no longer support pretty much any form of identity politics.

I said some pretty crazy stuff in the past...and to be honest I still think that given a certain set of circumstances, the "crazy stuff" is still probably correct in my mind. If sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away then strong anti-harassment measures based upon actions, and not feelings, may be needed. But I simply think that circumstance doesn't exist. I don't think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.

For any of the bigots that may be reading, that doesn't mean that I think said harassment doesn't exist. It's that I think that it's comparable to other similar social situations, and that most people realize this.
I mostly agree with those sentiments, to be honest.
Except to highlight one possible point of interest:
I don't think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.
Whereas I do think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.
But it is (in not only my opinion) not harassment from misogynist males, but instead harassment toward females and potential female attendees from the absurdly hysterical new-media alarmists, such as Watson, Benson, Roth, Hensley, et alia, who wholly manufacture "threats" from thin air.

These threats are real.
There are scads of sober & rational women who say (paraphrasing here):
"I won't go to that conference, not because I might be threatened by misogynists, or phoney 'upskirt' happy-snappers:- but because I feel very threatened by Watson, Roth, Benson, Hutchison, Marcotte, and cetera."

That sexual harassment at conferences is a problem is real.
It is being advocated, urged, funded, shielded and encouraged by Watson, Roth, Benson, Hutchison, Marcotte, and cetera.
Pure and simple.
No philosophical analysis required.
These females are providing the predominant sexist exclusional discrimination at these conferences, and are clearly driving their (supposed, hah!) targets away in droves.

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my English Master[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Oops!
Minor correction.
For:
Michael K Gray wrote:These threats are real.
please read:
Michael K Gray wrote:These threats are made manifest.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Hey Rocko - nice work dropping a link to your Sekrit Forum dramatic reading on the Insane Mods thread. Why hyperdeath noted it without hiding/deleting it is beyond me. A+ works in mysterious ways.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Both her [Marcotte] and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
That just gives me the chills. Combine that desire with the absurdly loose definition of rape shitstains like these two subscribe to, and you have their idea of Utopia: a totalitarian radfem society where men can be arrested and tried under the presumption of guilt for any fucking thing a woman wants to call "rape".
That's what their dream is. Superiority over, and oppression of, men. Not equality. Most radfems, like the ones who run the women-only Michigan festival, are actually against the Equal Rights Amendment because they WANT to discriminate against men, but the ERA would not let them if it were to be passed into law. They don't really want equality. They want extra rights and perks for women only. They see themselves in a constant state of 'deserving' and forever in need of compensation.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
LMU wrote:I would like to have such a thing. Also does Scented Nectar have all the old pharyngula comment threads that got memory holed?
My own saved copies were not as complete in the comments as I thought, but luckily, thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine, I have resaved all 3 ElevatorGate threads, full comment threads included. I also have links to the copies on the wayback machine, but sometimes they don't work right, so I won't bother linking at the moment. These are the threads that Richard Dawkins' famous Dear Muslima comment was on.

I'll put copies up on my own domain one of these days soon at the SlimePit Archive under the fair use dmca clauses. They are strongly related to the SlimePit's history. Since PZ has flushed the comments to those threads, so these copies that include the comments could be useful for historical reference purposes. Probably whatever fair use clause the wayback machine uses would cover me too, but in addition, I'd be covered by the clause that ok's it if it's a small percentage compared to the entire "piece of work" (his old blog).
Thanks, I'm glad you have them. If they aren't up yet, then the best way to look at them would be the way back machine?
Yes, on the page where you can select dates for the url you've given, select the ones closest to a week or few weeks after they were first published so that you will get the full comment threads including the comments at the end where pz says comments are now closed, and the date will be after the comments are full, but before he got rid of all the comments.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Submariner wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I dare say even a lady (sexist patriarchal tone) would be lethal with a broken beer bottle.

Then again, if she drunk it first, she could just accuse me of rape.
And if they get their way:
Both her and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
you won't even have necessarily been anywhere near her.
And, bonus, if she's preggers, she may even name you as father, DNA be damned, so when you get out of jail for rape, you'll be back in again for failure to pay child support, the courts of which don't give a fuck about your actual ability to pay or whether you are even the biological father.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

The deal with the harassment policies as it seemed to me is that if you want to implement a solution for a problem, then you need to do this:

1) Show that the problem exists.
2) Show that your solution would solve the problem.
3) Implement your solution.

They wanted to skip right to 3 when they hadn't done 1 or 2. Instead they appealed to emotion and then smeared those who didn't take them at their word.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

16bitheretic wrote:So someone from AVfM decides to link to Mykeru's vid and now that's weaponry against him, as if he got on AVfM's editorial crew in secret and used it ro promote himself? Man, those people are dense. I almost wish at this point something from A+ or Skepchick would get on the Femitheist blog. Imagine the backpedalling if that ever happened.
The feminist bloggers are not radical enough for Femi. She recently allied herself with the separatists at radfemhub because their views came closest to her own. Femi wants to have public mandatory castration rituals for all the men and boys on earth, with a humiliation ceremonial walk included, afterwhich she will kill off all but 2 to 10% of them.

The remaining men and boys would be kept imprisoned for breeding and sexual use by women who have chosen them (sex slavery and rape anyone?). Eventually, she hopes someone will figure out how to induce parthenogenesis in women, followed by the further murder of any remaining men and boys. The screencaps that AndrewV69 showed a couple pages back, are from the women she allied with now.

Oh yeah, she also wants to murder off any women who are protective of men and against her killing of them. She considers such women as defective and in need of killing off. Also, she plans to kill any disabled women too.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Heh - this notion that the 'Pit is "asking for a ceasefire" has made it halfway around the FTB world and I haven't even gotten my combat boots on yet.

Philip of Tealand

Michael

The conversation seems to have got completely out of hand but I'll quote a few of the more choice Tweets from out Snowflake Warrior:

I first posted this:
Philip ‏@AssamTii

I guess you have made it on the internet when you get on The Block List!! http://www.oolon.co.uk/?page_id=161 Good work @ool0n, keep it up!

To which I got the reply:
Boy is @AssamTii ever desperate for attention, have a read of his blog! Not! Plz be my best friend mykeru n elevatorgoon *wag* *wag* #sad

oolon ‏@ool0n
I repeatedly asked him why it was so necessary to do what he is doing on Twitter by doing the whole blocking thing

I got the childish reply:
@AssamTii #ProfessionalVictim #SpecialSnowflake #ReadingComprehensionFail ... RTFM asshat, it blocks not reports for spam.
And
@AssamTii Have you ever managed to read more than four words in sequence and understand them? Blocking does not get you suspended FFS #derp
I then quoted and linked the Terms of Service at him:

Philip ‏@AssamTii
@ool0n https://support.twitter.com/articles/18 ... tter-rules# … "If a large number of people are blocking you" - I beg to differ
But apprently:

oolon ‏@ool0n
@AssamTii Interesting, I wonder how many is considered "large"... We may get to find out :-D Anyway the aim is to keep the list of ppl small
Note how it changes from "Philip you DERP, can't you read!" to "Well, it won't be a large amount of blocks..."

The conversation has now descended into him saying that Mykeru has been sending him death threats which then magically changed to trolling the Internet for the past 10 years

This guy is deplorable.

I'm a terrible person too, but for fucks sake at least I'll admit I've done something wrong.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

I mostly agree with those sentiments, to be honest.
Except to highlight one possible point of interest:
I don't think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.
Whereas I do think that sexual harassment at skeptic conventions is keeping a significant number of women away.
But it is (in not only my opinion) not harassment from misogynist males, but instead harassment toward females and potential female attendees from the absurdly hysterical new-media alarmists, such as Watson, Benson, Roth, Hensley, et alia, who wholly manufacture "threats" from thin air.

These threats are real.
There are scads of sober & rational women who say (paraphrasing here):
"I won't go to that conference, not because I might be threatened by misogynists, or phoney 'upskirt' happy-snappers:- but because I feel very threatened by Watson, Roth, Benson, Hutchison, Marcotte, and cetera."

That sexual harassment at conferences is a problem is real.
It is being advocated, urged, funded, shielded and encouraged by Watson, Roth, Benson, Hutchison, Marcotte, and cetera.
Pure and simple.
No philosophical analysis required.
These females are providing the predominant sexist exclusional discrimination at these conferences, and are clearly driving their (supposed, hah!) targets away in droves.
You're right. Actually, I went back when I was writing the post and replaced harassment with sexual harassment for that very reason. I wouldn't call what they're doing sexual harassment, per se, but it is just plain old harassment, and yes, by and large they're the ones guilty of it. They want the conventions to be closed to only they and their friends, and that's just the way it is.

For what it's worth the big lightbulb moment for me, the big realization that I was on the "wrong side", was when I went to some other anti-SJW forums (/AntiSRS and/SRSSucks on Reddit in particular) and found more intelligent conversation on these issues than you'd ever find at FTB. And it's the same way here, all the juvenile antics aside. As I try to explain to the real victims...the prey of this movement...this isn't about people who are pro-equality* and people who are anti-equality. It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality. And that's what bothers me the most about the leaders of this movement, is that they work so hard to deny this, instead of any sort of actual dialogue and discussion. Because they know they'll lose.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

Mykeru wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote:Just saw Mykeru's latest video. Fucking hell, Mykeru, that is some epic stuff!

I am so fucking sick and tired of cunts such as Melody Hensley ruining the good name of atheism world-wide. Let's hope the management at CFI manages to rid itself of the latest influx of A+theism radfems in their ranks.
You know, I don't want CFI to get rid of Hensley. Even though she's a true believer and a bully, I refuse to cross the line of thinking people should lose their livelihood. Same thing when people were going on about Sasha Wiley Shaw being a teacher (apparently adult ed) and how terrible that was, blah-blah-blah.

Maybe those people in those positions are the same as a Creationist teaching a science class, but I'm not convinced that this totally destroys her day-to-day function as Executive Director.

What Hensley needs is a good talking to. She may need some therapy. I don't know. What I do know is it must be hell on earth to walk around that pathologically thin-skinned and with an obsessive need to control other people. And to be so bad at it.

Probably because I recognize the fact that bullies of her sort (and Benson, Meyers, Laden, etc) are basically weak and fragile people, often I have far more sympathy for them than I may actually display.

The dilemma is, of course, that these sort of weak, fragile people can also do such harm to other people. Calling them out is not to remind them they are weak, ineffectual people, but to mitigate the harm they do.

I also recognize that any sympathy I may have for yappy little dogs like that would in no way be reciprocated. Even though I would tend to moderate the real world consequences for their bullying, they would destroy me, laugh about it, and sleep like babies.
Hi there, Mykeru!

I disagree with you. Had Hensley's job been a job not directly related to scepticism and atheism; fine. I wouldn't have wanted her to lose her job as a teacher/banker/lawyer/whatever. But her job is to be exec over at Center For Inquiry (CFI) and that is an organisation devoted to the cause of scepticism and atheism. She is ruining the good name of scepticism and atheism by trying to equate those two stalwart ideas with radical feminism/"social justice". She must not be allowed to do this. Her being an exec over at CFI means that she has massive influence in regards to who are allowed to speak at seminars and conferences, what causes CFI champions and how scepticism and atheism is viewed by the public. Her actions, both as exec over at CFI and as a "civilian" over at Twitter (even though she uses her title in all of her public writings) disqualifies her as a good exec, in my opinion. And I think the owners of CFI (I have no idea how CFI is organized aside from Hensley being exec) should fire her and all of her cohorts.

Atheism and scepticism must never again be regarded by the public as radical socialist ideas (as atheism was from 1920-1990). Hensley fights in order to make scepticism and atheism all about socialism (thinly disguised as "social justice") and she must be stopped.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Michael

The conversation seems to have got completely out of hand but I'll quote a few of the more choice Tweets from out Snowflake Warrior:

I first posted this:
Philip ‏@AssamTii

I guess you have made it on the internet when you get on The Block List!! http://www.oolon.co.uk/?page_id=161 Good work @ool0n, keep it up!

Boy is @AssamTii ever desperate for attention, have a read of his blog! Not! Plz be my best friend mykeru n elevatorgoon *wag* *wag* #sad

oolon ‏@ool0n
I repeatedly asked him why it was so necessary to do what he is doing on Twitter by doing the whole blocking thing

@AssamTii #ProfessionalVictim #SpecialSnowflake #ReadingComprehensionFail ... RTFM asshat, it blocks not reports for spam.
And
@AssamTii Have you ever managed to read more than four words in sequence and understand them? Blocking does not get you suspended FFS #derp

Philip ‏@AssamTii
@ool0n https://support.twitter.com/articles/18 ... tter-rules# … "If a large number of people are blocking you" - I beg to differ
But apprently:

oolon ‏@ool0n
@AssamTii Interesting, I wonder how many is considered "large"... We may get to find out :-D Anyway the aim is to keep the list of ppl small
Note how it changes from "Philip you DERP, can't you read!" to "Well, it won't be a large amount of blocks..."

The conversation has now descended into him saying that Mykeru has been sending him death threats which then magically changed to trolling the Internet for the past 10 years

This guy is deplorable.

I'm a terrible person too, but for fucks sake at least I'll admit I've done something wrong.
If you can, then I'd suggest bringing it back to the fact that what oolon is doing is going to get people suspended and is silencing them. This is bullying/harassment, counter to the principles of free speech, and is what creationist nutjobs do when they can't win arguments.

windy

Post by windy »

Scented Nectar wrote: Yes, on the page where you can select dates for the url you've given, select the ones closest to a week or few weeks after they were first published so that you will get the full comment threads including the comments at the end where pz says comments are now closed, and the date will be after the comments are full, but before he got rid of all the comments.
PZ didn't "get rid of the comments", they went missing during the NatGeo switch and they failed to restore a lot of the threads for reasons unknown.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

:

This guy is deplorable.

Oh dear!
I am truly sorry to have put you to that much effort for so little benefit for either of us.

It is my fault. I should have known that any and all dealings with "Oolon" can only result in him shit-stirring for the sake of it. That is how he gets his jollies. Would have been a real hoot in grade 4.
Pity he hasn't grown since then.

What I find intriguing is that even your pommy "free at point of service" NHS universal health-care system allows the crazy-cunt to to integrate back into adult society, after such a prolonged period of institutionalisation.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Karmakin wrote:For what it's worth the big lightbulb moment for me, the big realization that I was on the "wrong side", was when I went to some other anti-SJW forums (/AntiSRS and/SRSSucks on Reddit in particular) and found more intelligent conversation on these issues than you'd ever find at FTB. And it's the same way here, all the juvenile antics aside. As I try to explain to the real victims...the prey of this movement...this isn't about people who are pro-equality* and people who are anti-equality. It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality. And that's what bothers me the most about the leaders of this movement, is that they work so hard to deny this, instead of any sort of actual dialogue and discussion. Because they know they'll lose.
QFT.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Apples wrote:Hey Rocko - nice work dropping a link to your Sekrit Forum dramatic reading on the Insane Mods thread. Why hyperdeath noted it without hiding/deleting it is beyond me. A+ works in mysterious ways.
I thought I hadn't posted on that IP address before lol.

Yeah, he let it through.

Funny thing, actually, I saw hyperdeath make one comment on FTB about the slymepit (e.g. I don't know why they didn't reject a certain comment) but he seemed quite reasonable in that comment. I had prepared up a message for him to say "Hey, actually we're quite nice and you're welcome to check us out." I for some reason didn't and found out he's hip deep in it lol.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

( I mean, yeah, weird that he let it through)

Philip of Tealand

Greg Laden ‏@gregladen

@AssamTii @ool0n How could someone who does not know he was ever married threaten said X-wife? You're wrong, apologize or I'll make a video
Hide conversation

HAHAHAHA!

Greg's gonna have to make a video cos I can't reply to him on Twitter!

cunt

Post by cunt »

another lurker wrote:I just finished scrolling through the past day's comments on thunderdome. The Slymepit has been characterized as a horrible, nasty place, but thunderdome, and Pharyngula in general, are chock full of violent and hateful rhetoric. The Slymepit cannot compete with that place when it comes to sheer negativity.

I feel like I need a good drink after reading that site.
Brilliant stuff. Shit all over the wall. Half the posters "literally shaking with rage", the other half *spitting venom*. Maybe my favourite part is Brownian coming in to tell that abear guy that actually they're all acting super reasonable because, you see, Paul W. used the word "because" somewhere in his screed. :roll:

I think a lot of them really just need some counselling.

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my self[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:...It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality.
If by that, you mean equality of opportunity, then I agree 101%!
If you mean equality of outcome, then we must agree 2,723,498,256¾% to disagree.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

For what it's worth the big lightbulb moment for me, the big realization that I was on the "wrong side", was when I went to some other anti-SJW forums (/AntiSRS and/SRSSucks on Reddit in particular) and found more intelligent conversation on these issues than you'd ever find at FTB. And it's the same way here, all the juvenile antics aside. As I try to explain to the real victims...the prey of this movement...this isn't about people who are pro-equality* and people who are anti-equality. It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality. And that's what bothers me the most about the leaders of this movement, is that they work so hard to deny this, instead of any sort of actual dialogue and discussion. Because they know they'll lose.
Equality. Equality is such a weak slippery word. Equality of opportunity? Equality before the law? Equality of outcome? What we should be trying to achieve is fairness. I think both sexes have issues. Working on only one side isn't going to get us to fair treatment.

I'm a humanist. I want all humans treated fairly. It's not always possible to be treated equally. Is Stephen Hawking equal to the school bus driver in mental ability, or physical ability? The answer is no to both. So while we cannot treat them as equals in every arena, we can treat them fairly. I almost wish the word "equality" would go away (except in mathematics).

Philip of Tealand

Oh no, looks like I can - I retract that last post, I was wrong

Michael K Gray

Re: Now subtracted by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Submariner wrote:I almost wish the word "equality" would go away (except in mathematics).
The "equality" in mathematics is but a theft of the grocer's balance-scale kind of real equality of what physicists call "action".

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Karmakin wrote:
Reap wrote: And that's the thing. They want to freeroll EVERYTHING. They want everything they want at zero cost to themselves, because they're 100% right on everything and everybody else is wrong in every way that doesn't match what they believe/want.

And they want it RIGHT NOW. It's a bunch of spoiled little children taking a temper tantrum, really.

Even assuming that I agreed with them say..half the time...(I don't. The more I learn about these issues the more I'm finding that they're just wrong all the time in the details, even if they have the right goals) that's still not good enough. Hell. Even if I agreed with them 90% of the time. That's still not good enough for them. They want perfection and they want it NAO.
[youtube]YmoYelIq8qA[/youtube]

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Submariner wrote:I almost wish the word "equality" would go away (except in mathematics).
The "equality" in mathematics is but a theft of the grocer's balance-scale kind of real equality of what physicists call "action".

Physicists get all the "action" ;)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Submariner wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Physicists get all the "action" ;)
Let's get Physical

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I first posted this:
Philip ‏@AssamTii

oolon ‏@ool0n

And

Philip ‏@AssamTii
But apprently:

oolon ‏@ool0n

This guy is deplorable.

Philip, if oolon ever wants to say he received "death threats" by Mykeru, just remember the words from Chris Clarke,

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3391 ... edited.jpg

In fact, tweet it back to him and see what he says.

Karmakin

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my self[/spoiler]

Post by Karmakin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:...It's about two competing models of how to achieve equality.
If by that, you mean equality of opportunity, then I agree 101%!
If you mean equality of outcome, then we must agree 2,723,498,256¾% to disagree.
Opportunity, of course. Although I think that assuming that SJW's support equality of outcome in these situations is a bit of a strawman as well....they're far too bigoted for that. Like everything else, they use it as a political weapon as needed.

I should say this, I do think it's reasonable that if in a situation there is not equality of outcome, that this opens up the dialogue to try and investigate why this is the case, and see if it is due to a lack of equality of opportunity, which it sometimes is...and sometimes isn't.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
Reap wrote: And that's the thing. They want to freeroll EVERYTHING. They want everything they want at zero cost to themselves, because they're 100% right on everything and everybody else is wrong in every way that doesn't match what they believe/want.

[youtube]YmoYelIq8qA[/youtube]
Quote fail: that was all Kamarkin IIRC.