Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
Spence

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Spence »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:"Pop tart" fiasco? Should I brace myself?
starts at comment 1735 here: http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit-a ... 0Vegas.htm
Ha ha, good times. Most baboons are smart enough to keep their hypocrisy separated by at least a paragraph or two. Aratina managed to call someone a pop tart in the same damn sentence as berating others for using sexist terms.

The weirdest thing was that Aratina insisted on going to other sites - like B&W, and explain to random commenters - who probably had no clue about the discussion on ERV - that a pop tart was, in fact, a toasted breakfast product and not a sexist term. Denial was not a river in Egypt for Aratina that week.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Apples wrote:Ben Zvan offers up some lulz (from a few days ago in Stefunny's "NSFW" thread):
Ben Svan wrote:All these fake sextapes and whatnot have me wondering if anyone in the pit has figured out they’re basically condoning the posting of depictions of rape. I’ve met most of these people and I’m pretty sure none of them would consent to having sex with each other.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... eace-nsfw/
http://www.freezepage.com/1360270044ZRWEGYKQNY
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8302 ... 1f43_o.gif

*snert*
welch wrote: If someone spent THAT much time to bag on me? I'd be flattered down to my toes. I'd even link to it from my site, because man, if someone is going to create something of that level of quality, they deserve recognition.

Now i'm jealous of the old prune.
Well, I broke down and read it. First off, it's really The Prune's Tolstoy. It may be the longest thing she's written recently. Which means it's short.

So, I do a 45 minute video of excruciating detail, in part covering her threat narrative bullshit, and all she's got is that I'm "targeting" her? Crazy old coot.

One interesting thing: Remember in the "We've got him now" period when they were throwing my real name around left and right? Now I'm "mykeru". Quotes and all.

You can tell she has to comment, woe is her, but also the fear of getting back on my radar. I am "He who cannot be named". Poor thing.

To the Bat-Editor!

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

LMU wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Wow didn't Harriet Hall's post get hijacked by the A+ commenters fast ... after all, it was all about Shermer!!! #facepalm http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... r-so-much/
Masakari was over there earlier and did a good job, but there was a lot to respond to.
I hope I did. Now looking back at my comments, I'm upset that I didn't catch my typos and grammar errors at the time. I was on auto-pilot when typing, and dealing with a long of talking in the background.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

cunt wrote:http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... -comments/
I’m not at all keen on this. It makes the comments a very hostile place to new people (I like seeing new people here, don’t you?) and if it keeps up all we’re going to have left are the twitchiest, most psychopathic contributors

I thought so, thanks! Possibly the only fairly self-aware thing I've seen from him.

windy

Post by windy »

nippletwister wrote: Wasn't there some quote by PZ himself, a couple of years ago, that if things keep going like they are, only the twitchiest commenters would be left?

MISSION FUCKING ACCOMPLISHED! The loudest and most prolific commenters at pharyngula are all fucking psychos. I am much more concerned about one or more of them snapping and hurting somebody than I could ever be about imaginary rape or whatever the fuck.
At least Chris Clarke is comfortable there now:
http://www.freezepage.com/1360246747HUQPMARPBP
#402 Chris Clarke wrote:Things have indeed changed around here. Though PZ has always been very generous to me on the blog and off, I didn’t feel welcome in the comments on SBPharyngula circa 2008. Too much hippy punching and general hostility to anything enviro. Example.

It’s much less assholish around here now.
Hahaha! Who said they can't do humor?

(I have to admit that "Example" thread doesn't seem all that hostile- will I need to hand in my environmentalist card now?)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote:Hey long time lurker here. Wondering if there are any skeptical sites that have nothing to do with the "DRAMA" that you enjoy. I like the Sensuous Curmudgeon. I don't agree with most of his politics but I find his archiving and follow up of creationist activities in the political sphere very interesting and very wide ranging. His work documenting these activities is more important and helpful than most of the self serving stuff on many sites. As far as I have seen he's never commented on any of the controversies that have consumed too much of the discourse recently.
Obvious self-promoter is obvious.

Fuck off.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

windy wrote:
And the big one: trying to score intellectual debate points isn’t worth hurting other people. It doesn’t matter if I can figure out a clever way to spin things so that I’m technically “correct,” if I’m causing other people pain then I’m absolutely doing the wrong thing and I need to stop immediately and apologize.
I guess we need to shut up about atheism then, it could hurt someone's feelings and scoring intellectual debate points just isn't worth it.
Translation: Facts don't matter in a debate about rape, all that matters is that I'm a woman and you should cater to my fee-fees and stop saying things that are true the moment I get the least bit uncomfortable.

Say, didn't feminism used to be about empowering women?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Anyone got some useful practical tips for dealing with FTBullies?
Nuking them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
Good advice, Ripley!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote:Not a joke, not a poe. From Ophelia's linked article in her current post, 'Sing It!'

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2013/02/06/womc ... evolution/

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/files/2013/02/strapon.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to get pegged.

[youtube]gDpIqlKMBGQ[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I'm thinking of starting a thread dedicated to collecting screencaps of the baboons' violent...er, fantasies. If people think it would be useful resource, I'd be happy enough to start one and contribute regularly.
It would be a full time job for two people.
Yup. Hence my intial hesitation. That said, really it would be just a thread where anyone can leave a cap of baboon 'good old ultraviolence' if they think it deserves being comitted there - on the basis that the thread would be a good counterpoint to link to should a baboon come out with the 'we're the good people in this divide, so nyah!' spiel.

Ah, sod it - might as well start one. It'll live or die on its own merits...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Apples wrote:here's oolon's sekrit weapon:
oolon wrote:Dealing With Twitter Trolls : Software Project

OK so here is mine and Aratina Cages little project, which I think comes under the remit of A+ to a greater or lesser extent.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3896
OMG that's funny. They have now automated the process of blinkering themselves from seeing any dissenting opinions on twitter.

OH NOES! What shall we ever do? Oh wait, that's right, we don't give a fuck.

Seriously, that's comedy gold. How pathetic and cowardly. And Ceepolk actually pats oolon on the head and calls him a "hero of the revolution".

Jesus fucking Christ it doesn't get funnier than this.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I took the liberty to save this thread from SciBlogs,

Sarah Palin: Ignorant and anti-science

Should it ever be sent down the hole with the rest. Mostly because of the discussion about gendered slurs that I found to be very enlightening.

First of all, there is this from SC (Salty Current?)
That’s it. If one more fucking comment thread includes the words “stupid/dumb…cunt/bitch,” I’m going to stop reading anything having to do with women here. What the fuck? Knock it the fuck off.
With the response from Azkyroth,
Fine, we’ll start calling her a prick, a dick, a son-of-a-bitch, and a motherfucker. Better?
Oh, that rascal, always getting into trouble!

This comment by someone called Shadow ("someone with a cunt"),
Speaking as someone with a cunt, I thoroughly support referring to cunts as cunts, whether it’s the orifice or a woman who’s proved herself to be no better than an oozing hole that needs to be bitch-slapped and sent back to – well, no. I suppose I wouldn’t want something like that in my kitchen. But there’s probably somewhere we can stick her.
This comment by someone called raven,
Not really. We have run out of adjectives and synonyms for “stupid”, “ignorant”, and “crazy”.

People have started substituting slang terms for human anatomy but it isn’t really the same thing. Pointless debates are raging about whether Palin is a “dumb cunt” or a “stupid dickhead”. Neither is very accurate in a literal sense.
With the response from Azkyroth,
Having never encountered a vulva capable of speech, nor obtained reliable secondhand reports of the same, I had already concluded all cunts were dumb.

Penile glanses also seem to be consistently incapable of thought or judgement, though many of their owners would doubtless prefer the synonym “thick.”
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sure changed s/h/it's tune, didn't s/h/it, that Azkyroth. Or just masking it really, really well. Like a tapeworm.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Mykeru wrote:
Apples wrote:Ben Zvan offers up some lulz (from a few days ago in Stefunny's "NSFW" thread):
Ben Svan wrote:All these fake sextapes and whatnot have me wondering if anyone in the pit has figured out they’re basically condoning the posting of depictions of rape. I’ve met most of these people and I’m pretty sure none of them would consent to having sex with each other.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8302 ... 1f43_o.gif

*snert*
Absurd for loads of reasons, but i'm going to focus on the most obvious, factual one. If you look closely, that little guy hasn't even penetrated the cow.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I'm thinking of starting a thread dedicated to collecting screencaps of the baboons' violent...er, fantasies. If people think it would be useful resource, I'd be happy enough to start one and contribute regularly.
Yup. Hence my intial hesitation. That said, really it would be just a thread where anyone can leave a cap of baboon 'good old ultraviolence' if they think it deserves being comitted there - on the basis that the thread would be a good counterpoint to link to should a baboon come out with the 'we're the good people in this divide, so nyah!' spiel.

franc has his “Things Baboons Say” which might be an appropriate repository for the things you’re talking about. Although he tends to be a little unclear on the concept of journalistic integrity ….

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Gumby wrote:
Guest wrote:Hey long time lurker here. Wondering if there are any skeptical sites that have nothing to do with the "DRAMA" that you enjoy. I like the Sensuous Curmudgeon. I don't agree with most of his politics but I find his archiving and follow up of creationist activities in the political sphere very interesting and very wide ranging. His work documenting these activities is more important and helpful than most of the self serving stuff on many sites. As far as I have seen he's never commented on any of the controversies that have consumed too much of the discourse recently.

Fuck off.
Thats not Sensuous Curmudgeon. Sensuous Curmudgeon is an Old Dog in the Evo/Creationist wars, and doesnt write like that.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Skeptic_Duh wrote:Of course this won't work with the FTB crowds:

102. TIMOTHY LEARY: You aren’t like them
http://maxcdn.zenpencils.com/comics/201 ... jpg?9d7bd4

That would require feminists and psychos to regard men as equal human beings with emotions and stuff.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ahh, it gets better!

Further down the line, the commenter Shadow ("someone with a cunt") wrote in response to SC,
Shadow wrote:
SC wrote:women can make stupid misogynistic comments, too.
Yes, yes we can. Apparently, we can do a lot of things now. Hurray for bitches’ rights! So until a man shoves his cock down my throat to shut me up (and considering that I wouldn’t even come near myself if I didn’t have to..), I’m going to say whatever the hell I please. Particularly if gender is part of what’s offendng me.
Which continued for a bit,
SC wrote:Shadow – You’re a pinheaded (likely male) troll.
*snerk*
Shadow wrote:Actually, I’m just a dumb cunt. Am one and have one, though squid knows you wouldn’t know it to look at me seeing as the genetics fairy couldn’t be bothered to give me anything decent up top.
With the punchline,
Patricia wrote:Good night sweethearts!
I hope someone hacks Shadow while I’m snoozing.
*snort*

:lol:

The conversation between John Morales and SC about the meaning of "douchebag" and whether or not it's misogynist, too, is hilarious.

Keeping it for posterity.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:from oolon's stupid as fuck cockblock bot:

I just added https://twitter.com/twitterapi to my blocklist
I just added https://twitter.com/twitter to my blocklist
I just added https://twitter.com/twitpic to my blocklist
I just added https://twitter.com/guardian to my blocklist

Also: I just added https://twitter.com/metaphoenix42 to my blocklist #BlockSaturday #FTBullies

Rofl.
He is indeed a sooper genyous.
Oh dear! Yes show everyone how to add an authorized user to the bot. Please do. What could go wrong?
The Block Bot ‏@The_Block_Bot

@the_block_bot #AddAuthorisedUser @ool0n
Oh, please tell me somebody has at least tried this. Block bot, block @ool0n.
I would be amazed if that wasn't built in as an exception.

Here's how you kill it (posting this here because I want to see whether ool0n can step up and code around this, I know you are reading ool0n, hello). What you do is get it to block the people who are following it, you can't follow people who have blocked you so that will take the numbers down. Then it will be vulnerable to being reported as spam. If ool0n has coded it so it will not block people who are following it, then just follow it and it won't block you.

It's a catch-22. The only way around it is for ool0n to manage the list of "don't block these folks" people by hand.

Alternatively, you could just flood it with false positives.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:

Fuck off.
Too welcoming?

LMU

Post by LMU »

Tigzy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

MKG is right that it would be a full time job, but only if you try to get everything. Just get the stuff that's really egregious or whatever you notice and hopefully other people will contribute too. On that note, does anyone have a link to the old pharyngula comment threads about elevatorgate that were memory holed?

I think it is valuable to do this because the baboons complain about harassment, but won't recognize the scorn, abuse, or harassment they engage in themselves.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Knowing Oolon, I wouldn't be amazed. Ever so slightly surprised, maybe.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Fuck off.
Thats not Sensuous Curmudgeon. Sensuous Curmudgeon is an Old Dog in the Evo/Creationist wars, and doesnt write like that.
My mistake then, and apologies to Sensuous Curmudgeon. I've just seen many people who thought they were being clever using that technique to advertise their sites, and I thought this was the same thing.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Fuck off.
Too welcoming?
True. I forgot "fuck off" is the Pit's way of saying "Welcome! Pull up a chair and relax by the fire!"

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:

Also: I just added https://twitter.com/metaphoenix42 to my blocklist #BlockSaturday #FTBullies

Rofl.
Oh dear! Yes show everyone how to add an authorized user to the bot. Please do. What could go wrong?

Oh, please tell me somebody has at least tried this. Block bot, block @ool0n.
I would be amazed if that wasn't built in as an exception.

Here's how you kill it (posting this here because I want to see whether ool0n can step up and code around this, I know you are reading ool0n, hello). What you do is get it to block the people who are following it, you can't follow people who have blocked you so that will take the numbers down. Then it will be vulnerable to being reported as spam. If ool0n has coded it so it will not block people who are following it, then just follow it and it won't block you.

It's a catch-22. The only way around it is for ool0n to manage the list of "don't block these folks" people by hand.

Alternatively, you could just flood it with false positives.
Hmmm... actually that only works if the blockbot implements its own blocklist. There's no reason why it would unless ool0n is an idiot or he is using that to stop blocked twitter accounts from tweeting suggestions.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Submariner wrote:On a happier note, my son was just accepted to University ofREDACTED for next fall...
Based on recent photographic evidence, I hope it's not Oxford University.

Apples

meanwhile, over at A plus alamos

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:Absurd for loads of reasons, but i'm going to focus on the most obvious, factual one. If you look closely, that little guy hasn't even penetrated the cow.
That cow needs feminism.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Chilly P. wrote:Amanda Marcotte is apparently a new media buffoon. I just looked her up in Wikipedia and followed some of the links.

Turns out she was one of those people who went full batshit that anybody would dare assume the innocence of athletic, mostly white young males accused of rape.

In case anybody is out of date, not only did the Lacrosse Team have the charges dropped (after a great deal of delay from the assinine DA) but the accuser (Crystal Gale Mangum) was later found guilty of a multiple number of misdemeanors involving child abuse, and was just arrested again for the stabbing death of her boyfriend.
Both her and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Pitchguest wrote:I love that Scented saved all those threads that got memoryholed. I see that PZ have deleted or hidden the comments on his blog, though, that featured words like "cunt" and "twat" -- seemingly from his own supporters. Reading through that thread about the pop tarts, Aratina Cage is a deeply troubled man.

By the way, I love this quote from Aratina:
what brand name product is there that is called "twat" something or other? Do people toast twats and eat them?*
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

*if you only knew.
I've never had anyone make a toast to my twat before eating it, as far as I can remember. Is this an American custom? Cheers! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:I would like to have such a thing. Also does Scented Nectar have all the old pharyngula comment threads that got memory holed?
My own saved copies were not as complete in the comments as I thought, but luckily, thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine, I have resaved all 3 ElevatorGate threads, full comment threads included. I also have links to the copies on the wayback machine, but sometimes they don't work right, so I won't bother linking at the moment. These are the threads that Richard Dawkins' famous Dear Muslima comment was on.

I'll put copies up on my own domain one of these days soon at the SlimePit Archive under the fair use dmca clauses. They are strongly related to the SlimePit's history. Since PZ has flushed the comments to those threads, so these copies that include the comments could be useful for historical reference purposes. Probably whatever fair use clause the wayback machine uses would cover me too, but in addition, I'd be covered by the clause that ok's it if it's a small percentage compared to the entire "piece of work" (his old blog).

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Scented Nectar wrote: Both her [Marcotte] and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
That just gives me the chills. Combine that desire with the absurdly loose definition of rape shitstains like these two subscribe to, and you have their idea of Utopia: a totalitarian radfem society where men can be arrested and tried under the presumption of guilt for any fucking thing a woman wants to call "rape".

LMU

Post by LMU »

Scented Nectar wrote:
LMU wrote:I would like to have such a thing. Also does Scented Nectar have all the old pharyngula comment threads that got memory holed?
My own saved copies were not as complete in the comments as I thought, but luckily, thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine, I have resaved all 3 ElevatorGate threads, full comment threads included. I also have links to the copies on the wayback machine, but sometimes they don't work right, so I won't bother linking at the moment. These are the threads that Richard Dawkins' famous Dear Muslima comment was on.

I'll put copies up on my own domain one of these days soon at the SlimePit Archive under the fair use dmca clauses. They are strongly related to the SlimePit's history. Since PZ has flushed the comments to those threads, so these copies that include the comments could be useful for historical reference purposes. Probably whatever fair use clause the wayback machine uses would cover me too, but in addition, I'd be covered by the clause that ok's it if it's a small percentage compared to the entire "piece of work" (his old blog).
Thanks, I'm glad you have them. If they aren't up yet, then the best way to look at them would be the way back machine?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Here y'go - a repository of baboon aggression displays, should one be inclined to contribute any eye-wateringly violent examples to the museum: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=256

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Tigzy wrote:Here y'go - a repository of baboon aggression displays, should one be inclined to contribute any eye-wateringly violent examples to the museum: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=256

Thank you Tigzy. I visit the Thunderdome regularly, for the lulz, so if I ever come across anything eyer-wateringly violent, I will share it.

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Gumby wrote:

OK so here is mine and Aratina Cages little project, which I think comes under the remit of A+ to a greater or lesser extent.
OMG that's funny. They have now automated the process of blinkering themselves from seeing any dissenting opinions on twitter.

OH NOES! What shall we ever do? Oh wait, that's right, we don't give a fuck.

Seriously, that's comedy gold. How pathetic and cowardly. And Ceepolk actually pats oolon on the head and calls him a "hero of the revolution".

Jesus fucking Christ it doesn't get funnier than this.

It's both amusing, and comforting, that they've found yet another way to sequester themselves up their own asses.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Both her [Marcotte] and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
That just gives me the chills. Combine that desire with the absurdly loose definition of rape shitstains like these two subscribe to, and you have their idea of Utopia: a totalitarian radfem society where men can be arrested and tried under the presumption of guilt for any fucking thing a woman wants to call "rape".

I am genuinely surprised at how hard it is for people to see these things. I was complaining about issues like this when I still considered myself more or less a feminist. These days, it's part and parcel of the movement, whether the dumber ones realize it or not.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tigzy wrote:Here y'go - a repository of baboon aggression displays, should one be inclined to contribute any eye-wateringly violent examples to the museum: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=256
Thanks Tigzy, I am honored to have pointed out the first example to this noble enterprise. The Thunderdome thread continues as I write, I think there may be a few more choice quotes following.

Apples

Post by Apples »

another lurker wrote:

Thank you Tigzy. I visit the Thunderdome regularly, for the lulz, so if I ever come across anything eyer-wateringly violent, I will share it.
Well, abear did call them out for the "I will cut you" quip @ comment 605.

606., 607. SallyStrange follows with a few "you asked for it" comments

610., 613. Anthony K (formerly Brownstain) yawns and then says, "If Tethys does cut you, I’ll be sure to tell whatever skin-wastes who care about you that you were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time."

616. Tony the Dancing Telegram Queer Shoop admits the hypocrisy

617. SallyStrange: "It’s true that tribalism is contributing to my lack of concern about Tethys’ comment. Coming from someone else, I wouldn’t give it a pass."

619. cm: I was more concerned that the liquor bottles might not have been emptied before being broken. I don’t want to see good grog wasted on stupid commenters."

620. Brownstain: Given comments like mykeru’s in the ‘pit [links to Mykeru's I hate oolon icepick comments], I’d just say that’s just how True Skeptics™ talk.

621. Tony the Shoop: "Thats probably why I gave it a pass. Tethys has-IMO-tremendous capital built up.
That said we do occassionally get people whinging about how we try to take a moral high ground, but allow certain comments by regulars go uncriticised. Who was it that made a gendered insult a few months back (IIRC calling someone a dick). I recall a troll throwing that back at us."

625. Tethys performs notpology: "I do not regret that abear found my comment offensive. I find abear offensive. I do regret that others have found it offensive, and retract the violent sentiment."

626. Fragile hippy co-moderator Chris Clarke chimes in: "It was clearly a joke. It was the kind of joke I’d have chided a person for in a moderated thread, because there’s always a chance a person would either be a) triggered by references to violence or b) too dimwitted (or acting in insufficient good faith) to comprehend that it’s a joke. And then those people a) get hurt or b) create work for the moderator. But unless you have the kind of Internet connection where people can stick their arms through your monitor and brandish things, which either do not really exist or someone owes me a backlog of tentacle hugs, then I’d suggest you take it as possibly ill-advised hyperbole."

Et cetera.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... erdome-18/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Thanks Tigzy, I am honored to have pointed out the first example to this noble enterprise. The Thunderdome thread continues as I write, I think there may be a few more choice quotes following.
Cheers!

BTW - if anyone sees a likely candidate, but can't be arsed to screencap it or anything, just let me know with a link, and I'll happily plonk it into the thread.

+1 SJW no-prize for concern at other people's lack of motivation privilege.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

"It was clearly a joke. It was the kind of joke I’d have chided a person for in a moderated thread, because there’s always a chance a person would either be a) triggered by references to violence or b) too dimwitted (or acting in insufficient good faith) to comprehend that it’s a joke. And then those people a) get hurt or b) create work for the moderator. But unless you have the kind of Internet connection where people can stick their arms through your monitor and brandish things, which either do not really exist or someone owes me a backlog of tentacle hugs, then I’d suggest you take it as possibly ill-advised hyperbole."

--Chris Clarke

I'm really glad you said that, Chris. Now, how about you acknowledge the same thing about Jerry Conlon and Mykeru and I won't consider you a waste of space. Sound good?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

http://www.zazzle.com/almostdiamonds

hahahaha

As at posting:

1. the guy's shirt is "Don't take mah freeze peach"; and
2. the girl's shirt is "I don't know what freeze peach is".

THEY ARE SAYING GIRLS ARE STUPID.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

LOL They think we're all upset over Oolon's "nifty" block bot:
@janphar @aratina @The_Block_Bot The slymies are already howling about the blocking of dissenting opinions.
https://twitter.com/janphar/status/299682177682112512

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:

THAT is his master plan? A blockbot for twitter?

Wow. Better watch the fuck out. He's a fucking MASTER HAXX0R.

Whatever. If that makes them happy, booyah.
Given Twitter's draconian API rules, that's likely a violation.
I don't think so. I complained about aratina's block saturday as it was getting some newer twitterer's accounts suspended. Twitter said it wasn't a violation and I could think about blocking her instead (fucking idiots).

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

another lurker wrote:

If Skepptiksowat is a plant, he has certainly gone to a lot of trouble to 'fit' in.
FUCK. You must be a plant too!

It's like the Day of the fucking Triffids in here.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

*lot of people talking.

Damn smartphone.....

Anyway, moving on.....

I'm not sure if this video was shared already, but it's new to me. One of the comments gives me hope. Generally, when people have their beliefs challenged and see that they may have been wrong, they gradually change their position over time, instead of making the change over night. Unfortunately, this person still likes the Queen Bee...

"Congrats on the shiny new blog Jim.
Also - after reading your discussion about the PZ- Steve Novella exchange - I have decided to stop defending PZ - I don't think he is quite the daemon his haters believe in - but he is just too comfortable with his own set of prejudices and biases....."

[youtube]v47eyIduCkM[/youtube]

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

rocko2466 wrote:
another lurker wrote:

If Skepptiksowat is a plant, he has certainly gone to a lot of trouble to 'fit' in.
FUCK. You must be a plant too!

It's like the Day of the fucking Triffids in here.
Yah! BLOOD ORGY! BLOOD ORGY!

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

What if you modify your @[username], which you can do on the fly.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL They think we're all upset over Oolon's "nifty" block bot:
@janphar @aratina @The_Block_Bot The slymies are already howling about the blocking of dissenting opinions.
Well nobody has posted anything on here so I can only assume they have been watching me cry into my pillow through their high-powered telescopes.

Stalking me is not cool guys.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

OK

here's a solution to the Block Bot

everyone keep an eye on the Block Bot and follow the person they recommend.

An increase in followers could prevent the Block Bot's triggering the Twitter spam response.

And we make the person stronger!

hahaha

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Wait, Block_Bot is recommending blocking ceepolk?

I assume it's the real ceepolk because s/h/it's blocked me.

Post by Guest »

decius wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: What? This part?
--> Note that is opheiiabenson not opheliabenson... Also note the blockees are not @mentioned since Aratina got suspended by twitter for "spamming" the morons with his #BlockSaturday tweets! Only the #BlockSaturday is required and a list of names preceded by a '#'.
Oh my! I suspect that this may have some unexpected consequences.
Ditto.
i think a concerted effort should be made to get on the 'blocker' list and have some fun.

Apples

Post by Apples »

ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL They think we're all upset over Oolon's "nifty" block bot:
Heh. There are no American tanks in Baghdad and Jesus is Magic. Must have missed those posts. They are quite literally insane. Aaaand fucking liars.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

howling with laughter!

Apples

Post by Apples »

rocko2466 wrote:http://www.zazzle.com/almostdiamonds

hahahaha

As at posting:

1. the guy's shirt is "Don't take mah freeze peach"; and
2. the girl's shirt is "I don't know what freeze peach is".

THEY ARE SAYING GIRLS ARE STUPID.
fucking CLASSIC

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Just read Ophelia's blog entry re the pit.

While I accept some of the taunts are silly & childish I can't help thinking that I could easily pick any professional player considered the worst in any competition and compile a highlight video reel and make the player look like a champ.

Vice-versa, I can pick a champion professional sportsperson and compile a low-light reel and make the player look like a chump.

Cherry picking and ignoring the rest is misrepresenting & mischaracterising the Slyme Pit.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

The funny thing about the block bot is its design. No one here gives a fuck about @ing them and being heard.
Oolon just made it harder for the snowflakes to spy on us if their twitter accounts can no longer read our tweets, because that's exactly what they like doing.
Onya genius.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Apples wrote:Not a joke, not a poe. From Ophelia's linked article in her current post, 'Sing It!'

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2013/02/06/womc ... evolution/

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/files/2013/02/strapon.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to get pegged.
This guy's picture should be in the dictionary for "pussy whipped"

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I hear on the backchannel that ftb bully victim abear may have gotten banned or at least silenced by PCthug Chris Clarke.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Twitter's like YouTube in that respect, you can false-flag videos on YouTube as easily as you can click a button and if you get enough -- enough "warnings" -- the account is eventually suspended. If you can prove you were victim of a false-flagging campaign, they'll let you off the hook (although not like everyone has the time and effort to do that). It's the slimiest of slime tactics.

By the way, Chris Clarke just posted a search on "abear" here on the 'Pit to attempt to imply he/she was associated with this place (as far as I know, no member by the name of 'abear' on the 'Pit and Clarke's search result spans a whopping one page where some have mentioned the name before - and since, according to Clarke, it's PZ's "express and blanket policy" to ban "'pitizens", he seems to have banned "abear." It just so happens that the thread he banned him/her from was the Thunderdome, the so-called "unmoderated" thread. To call Clarke stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

Oh, and if Caine isn't a predictable little flower, he/she's now rehashing SDG's comment on Marcotte - saying he "advocated killing Amanda Marcotte" and then adding the scathing, "it seems that post was actually edited at the so-called bastion of freeze peach. It seems that scared them just a little." Hey, Caine, you daft, dried up walnut?
It was clearly a joke. It was the kind of joke I’d have chided a person for in a moderated thread, because there’s always a chance a person would either be a) triggered by references to violence or b) too dimwitted (or acting in insufficient good faith) to comprehend that it’s a joke. And then those people a) get hurt or b) create work for the moderator.

But unless you have the kind of Internet connection where people can stick their arms through your monitor and brandish things, which either do not really exist or someone owes me a backlog of tentacle hugs, then I’d suggest you take it as possibly ill-advised hyperbole.
Now kindly piss off back to whatever oxygen free land you inhabit.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

"Howling"....lol

If by howling, they mean rofl, then yes.

Post by Guest »

AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:

Rofl.

@the_block_bot #AddAuthorisedUser @the_block_bot ?