The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
decius

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by decius »

Bhurzum wrote:
Git wrote: Hello! Is your nym a reference to this
Ah, you're not the first person to ask that.

My name would be "Burzum" if some bugger at YT hadn't already grabbed it. I've been a huge fan of Tolkien since childhood and the inscription on the "one ring" always stuck with me:

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

Burzum means "Darkness" in the Orcish tongue.

I was a strange child... :evil:
Interesting, I now understand where certain flimsy accusations of racism to Tolkien may originate from. I read LOTR many years prior to knowing anything at all about foreign languages, but I can see now that "Orcish" looks uncanningly similar to Turkish.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

You know, I haven't posted in here very much or for very long, but I do feel almost like this place is home. Complete freedom and comfort.

No homo.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Oh, noes, The Grauniad doxxed Zinnia Jones!!!!
What? Where?
Maybe not doxxed, but outed. And of course, there are many, many places where you can buy personal details once you have a name.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote:There once was a pit full of Slyme
Who mocked FTB all the time
We love ERV
Our mascot's Arnie
Come sully yourself with our grime!
Not one reference to Nantucket.

Fail.

decius

Post by decius »

KacyRay wrote: No homo.
Translation, please?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Tfoot wrote:More lulz from Roth:
Apparently Amy is keen to show that she's not a man hater or trying to discourage men. So she's now allowing men to apply for her 'grant'. The lulz come of course when you click apply.

http://s9.postimage.org/djzl32grj/surly ... grants.jpg

Amy is encouraging men to apply for her 'Surly Woman Grant' that is 'Helping Women to participate in science and rationalism. One woman at a time' and that 'To apply for this Surly Woman Grant, please fill out the form below'. Wow, thats an interesting way to encourage men to apply!

Amy also points out that everything in this grant system is done by her. This just looks corrupt, and leaves her open to the criticism that shes using this as a back door to subsidize her drinking buddies to attend conferences.

Word to the wise Amy, if you don't want to appear corrupt, do not decide who wins yourself.
So...if I was able to make $8k at TAM selling jewelry and used some of that money to send two women to conferences would Rebecca Watson delete her post calling me an anti=woman leader? :p

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

decius wrote:
Translation, please?
It was a joke man.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Scented Nectar wrote: I don't fucking trust most groups and organizations anymore. At least the charity that Renee's helping actually does accountable and varifiably helpful deeds; the more money they get, the more they pay for needed operations. They don't just hold a convention and pretend that it's to spread the word or whatever the fuck is the goal of most conventions.I suspect most have a main goal of bringing in money for the organizers and speakers.
I suspect you're not far from the truth. I held out some hope for Grothe, but apparently he's willing to have the Skepchicks lead him around by the nose in order to keep the bottom line happy. I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes between Skepchick and JREF after the Amy-induced debacle at the last TAM. If, after all the miserable shit they pulled, the Skepchicks are back in force at TAM2013, policing the place and otherwise putting it under their smelly thumbs then I will have to assume JREF is a lost cause as long as DJ Grothe sits at the helm. And that would be a shame.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

decius wrote: Interesting, I now understand where certain flimsy accusations of racism to Tolkien may originate from. I read LOTR many years prior to knowing anything at all about foreign languages, but I can see now that "Orcish" looks uncanningly similar to Turkish.
Funny thing is, one of PZ's minions accused me of racism because of my YT username.

His logic was pretty simple: "Bhurzum" sounds like "Burzum" (infamous one-man-band who set fire to churches, murdered his friend, spouted extreme right wing views etc) therefore I'm racist.

I politely explained my childhood love for all things Tolkien.

His reply was "Ha! Tolkien was a Catholic! You're a fag!" (or words to that effect)

Yup, PZ trains them well.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

KacyRay wrote:
decius wrote:
Translation, please?
It was a joke man.
I thought it was Latin, man

LMU

Post by LMU »

decius wrote:
Translation, please?
"I'm not cock jousting."

See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =no%20homo

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

http://i.imgur.com/koprU.jpg

I thought this from Lilandra was amusing.

Her High School History teacher says some crap that since maps are flat the earth is flat, etc.
Rather than thinking he was pulling her leg, she decides he is a flat earther.

All of that is fine.

But when it's pointed out that it's rather extraordinary to think a history teacher in high school would be a flat earther and asked if he might've been pulling her leg, she says the Flat Earth society exists, therefore it's not extraordinary to think her history teacher is a flat earther.

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Re: "Do these people never laugh?"

"Laughter is bourgeois": http://www.akpress.org/laughterisbourgeois.html

Slightly incomplete transcript here: http://archive.org/stream/LaughterIsBou ... s_djvu.txt

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Tigzy wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: Your stuffy, wordy and sanctimonious response reminds me of the way pseudo-intellectual libertarians argue the merits of Glenn Beck. Get a life, we don't need your conscience.
I guess you've not read Grossmith's The Diary of a Nobody. If you have, you'll understand why MKG is actually a bit of a treasure, and worthy of a wry smile or two.
Yes, I had to wiki it, but wryly smile I did. Thanks!

decius

Post by decius »

LMU wrote:
decius wrote:
Translation, please?
"I'm not cock jousting."

See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =no%20homo
Got it now, thanks.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote: Someone, I think Eonwyn or whatever her name is, commented in a quite patronizing tone, on Renee's Operation Smile drive in in the Shoes for Success thread at A+ forum saying its stats (to which she linked) weren't good because of how much they spend on advertising (24%, I think).

I've been musing on that. $240 donation results in corrective surgery for one child, the results of which benefit him or her for a lifetime. That's an incredible return on investment, so to speak.
But one hundred percent of the donations to Operation Greta actually go to Greta! No advertising costs whatsoever! Hell, she makes money by advertising on her blog, what with blog hits and all! It's efficient! Lest administrative costs = more Fluevogs.

You. Just. Don't. Get. Charity.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Badger3k wrote: As for PZ, I think he has mentioned the case once or twice, but I am not sure on which side he is. Can't be arsed to care either way, though.
He is unreservedly in Manning's corner.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

cunt wrote:
cunt wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
cunt wrote:I called you a liar because I know for a fact that you've never driven a nail with a fucking screwdriver.
Oh shit, that's funny as fuck. What do I get if I post a video of me doing it?
Honestly, if you put that on youtube. I will send you a tenner. 6 inch nails, don't be a pussy, and don't be put off by youtubes ten minute limit.
Oh, and you have to drive them into wood.
Way behind on my reading at this point, some shit came up yesterday. Anyway, for those of you following along at home, there was a bit of a problem with the recording. Since the challenge was made by cunt, I sent him a PM about it and it's up to him at this point if he wants to call it good enough or if I'll be recording a new one. Just in case anyone was thinking I'm backing out.

The part where I make fun of him for realizing he was being an idiot and it's pretty easy to drive a normal nail with a screwdriver, so he went on the internet to look up what the largest size of nails is came out alright, though.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Darren wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for an Android app to read the pit with?
Tapatalk will let you read most forums easily on the 'droid.

RE: Nailgate
I want to see Rystefn drive in a screw with a hammer. A nail with a screwdriver is childs-play.
I'm pretty sure I can borrow a hammer off of someone I know. What do I get if I post a video of it?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Re: Zinnia Jones
The connection between Zinnia and Bradley Manning has been public knowledge for years. I remember reading about it months ago, albeit not from Zinnia's point of view.
This current debacle is mindbogglingly stupid of her - as 99% of commenters seem to be pointing out.
Misogynists!

comslave

Post by comslave »

Michael K Gray wrote:
comslave wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
justinvacula wrote:...but of course Elevatorguy, if he existed, couldn't just be socially awkward.
"Elevator Guy" is far more fictional than Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

In the age of the internet, with a limited number of suspects, elevatorguy remains unknown. Nice try, Becky. Maybe you should hire an actor to play the part.
I have the deeds to Hobart Bridge.
Only $1,500.
With Signed papers, and everything.

Shit, I just realized I gave Becky the idea to hire an actor to harass her so she can justify her claims of misogyny. "Wag the Dog", here we come.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Gumby wrote:
Badger3k wrote: As for PZ, I think he has mentioned the case once or twice, but I am not sure on which side he is. Can't be arsed to care either way, though.
He is unreservedly in Manning's corner.
I can understand PZ touting the AMA, I don't think it's well known to people that have never had to testify you don't talk about it beforehand. But that's just using my own experience and projecting it to humanity. That is, I didn't know.

I can understand Zinnia doing the AMA for the same reason. What she has to say on this is interesting, and if Manning's lawyers didn't tell her to not to speak, that's their problem.

HOWEVER, once a dozen or more people tell her to shut up and stop doing the AMA and explain to her why, her continuing, and her reacting as if she has been victimized and bullied, and the reaction of the ftb commenters to continue supporting the AMA and act as though reddit is out of line is purely just bizarre.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

somedumbguy wrote:
But when it's pointed out that it's rather extraordinary to think a history teacher in high school would be a flat earther and asked if he might've been pulling her leg, she says the Flat Earth society exists, therefore it's not extraordinary to think her history teacher is a flat earther.

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
agree, she completely missed the point that its not unbelievable that a History teacher could be a flat earther, but the rationale he gave for it screamed he wasnt intending to be taken seriously.
I watched her first appearance with hubby on the MSS, she struck me at the time as being irony/sarcasm impaired, so it dosnt surprise me in the least.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Rystefn wrote:[spoiler]
Darren wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for an Android app to read the pit with?
Tapatalk will let you read most forums easily on the 'droid.

RE: Nailgate
I want to see Rystefn drive in a screw with a hammer. A nail with a screwdriver is childs-play.
[/spoiler]

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a hammer off of someone I know. What do I get if I post a video of it?
All these fancy "hammers" and "screwdrivers" bah! If you can't do the job by flailing at it with your car keys then you're not trying!

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Hey guise! I have a very serial question to ask you.

Dost thou prefer the White Moostache of Authority? Or dost the new White Hat of Authority like you?

It's not a racist hat. I asked it. It told me it once took ceramic bowls to skid row to give out to the poor kids, so, you know, it can't be racist. Never mind that most of the other hats it sent to a HAT! convention on donations were also white hats.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Hwoam.jpg[/spoiler]

windy

Post by windy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Dan wrote: I think your Jamaican accent ended Sweedish.
Kiss mi neck back!! What a sinting tase bad an incipid. Tap di blinkin lyin, yuh ole liyad.
Ee-eeeee. You no Swede!
No, I am Inga from Swee-den. Please, to help me with my rucksack?

http://www.myspace.com/video/inner-sun- ... e/25094181

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Cliché Guevara wrote:Re: "Do these people never laugh?"

Slightly incomplete transcript here: http://archive.org/stream/LaughterIsBou ... s_djvu.txt
Thanks for this. I remember these fuckers from my time participating in Vancouver poverty reduction/housing groups in the mid-90's. I was one of the long hairs having a laugh.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

somedumbguy wrote:x
I'm 99% sure that the modern Flat Earth Society is a poe, and quite a funny and valuable poe at that. They illustrate how pseudoscience and conspiracy theories operate by applying those ideas to a claim that is considered ridiculous.

It reminds me of a scientific journal (actually a sub-journal to another journal) called the Worm Runner's Digest, that published articles such as:
Brewster and Wilson, "Learned Helplessness in Pet Rocks (Roccus pettus)" (December 1976)
Olson and Hirsch, "Effects of Social Contact on Behavioral Quotient of Coffeepots" (December 1976)
Griffin, "Taste-Aversion Learning in Dead Rats: A Note on Proper Control Procedures" (December 1975).

Another similarity could be drawn with the avowed skeptics who go around making crop circles and then engaging in crop circle culture (very interesting phenomenon).

It doesn't surprise me that certain people will lack the subtlety of thought to appreciate these sorts of endeavours.

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Thanks for the comments and shit on my video, people. I saw that petition and just couldn't remain silent.
Logged in just to say...

Al

Without a doubt the best damn rebut I've ever seen. The. Best. Damn. One.

Bravo.

I hope the folks that ridiculous petition is intended to reach will see it.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the modern Flat Earth Society is a poe, and quite a funny and valuable poe at that.
That has certainly been my take on them as well.
mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
agree, she completely missed the point that its not unbelievable that a History teacher could be a flat earther, but the rationale he gave for it screamed he wasnt intending to be taken seriously.
I watched her first appearance with hubby on the MSS, she struck me at the time as being irony/sarcasm impaired, so it dosnt surprise me in the least.
Well, I think it's still pretty extraordinary to claim your high school history teacher is a flat earther, at least for anyone who went to high school after http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/earthrise_apollo8.gif

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

somedumbguy wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the modern Flat Earth Society is a poe, and quite a funny and valuable poe at that.
mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
Well, I think it's still pretty extraordinary to claim your high school history teacher is a flat earther, at least for anyone who went to high school after http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/earthrise_apollo8.gif
I see no evidence in that photo that the earth is not a disc.

LMU

Post by LMU »

justinvacula wrote:[spoiler]
Tfoot wrote:More lulz from Roth:
Apparently Amy is keen to show that she's not a man hater or trying to discourage men. So she's now allowing men to apply for her 'grant'. The lulz come of course when you click apply.

http://s9.postimage.org/djzl32grj/surly ... grants.jpg

Amy is encouraging men to apply for her 'Surly Woman Grant' that is 'Helping Women to participate in science and rationalism. One woman at a time' and that 'To apply for this Surly Woman Grant, please fill out the form below'. Wow, thats an interesting way to encourage men to apply!

Amy also points out that everything in this grant system is done by her. This just looks corrupt, and leaves her open to the criticism that shes using this as a back door to subsidize her drinking buddies to attend conferences.

Word to the wise Amy, if you don't want to appear corrupt, do not decide who wins yourself.
[/spoiler]

So...if I was able to make $8k at TAM selling jewelry and used some of that money to send two women to conferences would Rebecca Watson delete her post calling me an anti=woman leader? :p
Interesting idea but I'm pretty sure they'd be unimpressed. First any jewelry you sold would certainly be considered "fake jewelry" and second any women you sent to conferences would certainly be gender traitors or chill girls by their association with you if nothing else. Remember that to them it's not what you say or do, it's who you are and who you're friends with!

decius

Post by decius »

AbsurdWalls wrote: I'm 99% sure that the modern Flat Earth Society is a poe, and quite a funny and valuable poe at that.
I agree. Several years ago, a pioneer internet broadcaster sought to debate a flat-earther but couldn't find a genuine one. He contacted the FES and came to the same conclusion.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Pitchguest wrote:Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.

link: http://www.freezepage.com/1358003517LNHVLALJTJ

direct link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... m-deniers/

She claims widespread sexism in the secular community, links to Lousy Canuck and his "timeline" when people ask for evidence and accuses people of tone-trolling.

I was permanently banned, by the way, for making this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14214

[spoiler]
To lilandra: Then maybe you could provide some substantive evidence to support your assertions. I’m still wondering why you decided to delve into this issue now, since I figured you and Aron were clever enough to stay out of the bullshit that’s accumulated. But since you’re here, I might as well ask: what proof do you have that women are being treated badly in the atheist/sceptic community? Surely you musn’t be talking about the occasional offhand comment here and there, the occasional trollish comment here and there, you must be talking about a systematic oppression within the atheist/sceptic community. So, show us your findings. Because you’re not seriously suggesting that some YouTube comments about Rebecca Watson is proof that women are being ill treated, are you? Not that criticising Rebecca Watson harshly or otherwise is proof of anything in the realm of sexism or misogyny anyway, unless you’re also suggesting we treat women differently because they’re women?

If I call Rebecca Watson a fraud and a huckster, am I somehow calling women frauds and hucksters across the board? No? Then perhaps you need better documentation, lilandra. Where is this widespread condemnation of women within the atheist/sceptic community that you speak of? I see that you think we should speak more about the way women are treated in the secular community (treated badly, I presume, by the nature of this blog post) but I notice that you’re not suggesting anything yourself what to do about it, it’s just platitude and nothing really constructive. You also claim we’re shushing people (and by people I assume you mean women) and unsurprisingly, there is no evidence for that either. I sure as hell am not shushing people (or women for that matter), in fact I’m very interested in what you have to say. Although whenever I express my interest for a woman to prove her assertions of oppression, they soon double down and accuse me of being a misogynist, sexist, a hypersceptic, whatever, and the questions asked and the manner in which it’s asked is similar to the way I’m asking you right now, so you have to admit that kind of rhetoric also isn’t helping.

The irony is that for this post, I will likely be bogged down by comments saying the exact same thing – probably by douglas or someone with the same mindframe. Feel free to prove me wrong.
[/spoiler]

Before I noticed I was banned, I made a pretty long post but forgot to copy it before I hit submit. It didn't show up. Anyway, it had something to do with this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14116
lilandra wrote:Amazingly we have wound up discussing Elevatorgate disproportionately as the OP predicted.
and this subsequent one,
lilandra wrote:There is a real issue that the OP is about sexism denialism. The people who are misrepresenting ElevatorGate and talking about it as if it is thought of as harassment are usually sexism deniers. Sometimes no amount of help like debunking bad information is going to get through to someone in denial. That is not who I wrote this for, I wrote it for people who need more information to make up their minds.
Where I called her on her bullshit. It was a pretty scathing too, so I'm a bit disappointed it got memoryholed. Then again, right now I'm just generally disappointed anyway.
And it makes Aron's reply to my post even stranger. In error, I attributed his wife's post as Aron's. Instead of just saying that I had misattributed him as the author, he went through my post point by point and simply replied that he didn't say it. So why let your wife post that on your blog with comment from yourself? My only conclusion is that Aron approves of his wife's slimy tactics but wishes to maintain plausible deniability. In other words he's letting her do his dirty work against Tf00t. Very disappointing indeed.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

There once was a woman quite paranoid
And by e-disagreement annoyed
Crying "My achievement is clarion!:
World's Oldest Trustifarian"
She continued real work to avoid.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

If you're serious about getting Bradley Manning out of military custody, you would be outraged.

Except Zinnia Jones' supporters, who focus more on the Reddit commentariat than the fact that Zinnia just betrayed the trust of the defense attorney's for seemingly a bit of attention.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones ... -interest/

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Regarding Zinnia Jones:

I'm not embarrassed to say that until today, I really had no idea that she was trans. That might sound like contemptible and amazing ignorance on my part, but I see it differently.

I've honestly never cared how a person looks, how they identify, who they sleep with, etc. To me, much like the Marxian adage, gender has fallen away.

The only thing I concern myself with is a person's actions and a person's arguments.

That's probably why the first time someone accused me of being "misogynistic," my head almost imploded, because I simply could not wrap my mind around the concept. Why would anyone hate someone based solely upon their gender/sex/race/religion, etc?

That's child-like of me, I know, but it's a fault I'm happy to have.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Oh, and ERV:

Thank you for your reply regarding influenza. I've learned quite a bit about it over the past few days.

I can't help but to agree with your final conclusion. Even if it doesn't hurt me, it could hurt others. Given the devastation influenza has caused in the past, that's a good enough reason for me.

Thanks again!

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Gefan wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
rocko2466 wrote: She also disclosed:

1. what the defence disclosed to her obviously in confidence about the purpose of her evidence and what they consider her evidence can be used for;
2. her views about other aspects of the case that she was not qualified to talk about (i.e. whether he knew the disclosure of documents was illegal - of course he did, she said).
Zinnia Jones: she might not be able to make baby, but she sure knows how to drop a booboo.

Bloody hell!
So, I go to sleep for a few hours and wake up to this whole new category five shit storm accompanying my morning coffee.
I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" but is there any chance Zinnia's testimony will be filmed (I'd settle for a filmed deposition) or are we going to have to wade through transcripts?

Then again, the transcripts wouldn't come in that soporific bloody monotone of hers.
This was a over year ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... ch-antolak

Why is it coming up now?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

JAB wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Renee's Operation Smile drive has received $1855 in donations so far. :clap:
I put in one operation's worth, but it won't count to the on line stats that Renee gets because I sent it to the "operation smile canada" site. Just as good at doing the operations I think since they're the same organisation, but way better at giving me receipts that Revenue Canada will accept. Lets me give a bit more and keeps a little more out of Stephen Harper's hands.
I believe I can still add it as an "offline" donation. Send me a PM with your name, city, and zip and I'll see what I can do :) Oh, and THANK YOU!!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
Except for that curved shadow. (Sorry, I've had too many people try and tell me that "science used to tell us that the earth was flat!" nonsense tossed my way.)

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

debaser71 wrote:[spoiler]
AbsurdWalls wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
[/spoiler]
Except for that curved shadow. (Sorry, I've had too many people try and tell me that "science used to tell us that the earth was flat!" nonsense tossed my way.)
I have a new theory, consistent with this photo: the Earth is thin on one side, much thicker in the middle, and then thin again on the other side.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Lsuoma wrote:Oh, noes, The Grauniad doxxed Zinnia Jones!!!!
Suddenly, doxxing is bad again. Updates as events warrant.

Notung

Post by Notung »

If they're attacking the Reddit commenters for attacking ZJ then they also have to attack the Guardian commenters, as they're also attacking ZJ.

By the way, I'm not sure why she's on the defence. Surely they have all the knowledge she has, in the form of those chat logs. Is it just so she can say "yeah, they're legit"?

I'm really hoping Manning gets off, so I'm really hoping that this doesn't harm his case at all.

Git

Post by Git »

Bhurzum wrote:Funny thing is, one of PZ's minions accused me of racism because of my YT username. His logic was pretty simple: "Bhurzum" sounds like "Burzum" (infamous one-man-band who set fire to churches, murdered his friend, spouted extreme right wing views etc) therefore I'm racist.
Wagner was an raving anti-semite. Freda Kalho was an unrepentant Trotskyist. Like Burzun/Varg Vikernes, neither used their art as a cover for their unpleasant politics. If we're going to start censoring artists on their personal views, then there will be fuck all left to listen/watch.

welch

Post by welch »

rocko2466 wrote:This is appalling. I am appalled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... it-webchat

Some of you may not know but she is Zinnia Jones from FTB. (Obviously, it's already been talked about above.

Surely, someone at FTB noticed this and would've called an emergency G+ hangout (or something) and said "Look, Zinnia. I know all we do we do for attention and click money, but this has gone beyond merely trying to make the atheist movement our weird little nest of strange ideas. You cannot deliberately undermine a major trial to get attention."

As a lawyer - a litigation lawyer - I am horrified by the prospect of a witness doing this. And this witness has just done this. And just given a whole lot of material to be cross-examined on when the time comes. Maybe she'll put one word out of place and that will be enough to lever in a line of questioning that is convincing enough to derail the whole point of her evidence.

She also disclosed:

1. what the defence disclosed to her obviously in confidence about the purpose of her evidence and what they consider her evidence can be used for;
2. her views about other aspects of the case that she was not qualified to talk about (i.e. whether he knew the disclosure of documents was illegal - of course he did, she said).

This is appalling. I am freaking amazed. I am still aghast. This is horrible. SHE IS A MORON.
I'm sorry. I shouldn't call people names but FUCK.

This going to be keeping some defence lawyers up tonight as they figure out how the fuck they are going to minimise the damage from her evidence rather than focus on other aspects of the case to hopefully get him off.

(In a blog post I read a short while ago, she doubted that lawyers had even heard of Reddit so what would almost every commenter on Reddit know? I can't find that post now.)
Ah yes. Gambling that lawyers are all stupid. 'Twill be interesting to see how well that works out for her.

Git

Post by Git »

Cliché Guevara wrote:Re: "Do these people never laugh?"

Know who else had issues with laughter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... h_Khomeini
Allah did not create man so that he could have fun. The aim of creation was for mankind to be put to the test through hardship and prayer. An Islamic regime must be serious in every field. There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:Posting this here, b/c many of you don't use adblockers, and could be at risk (not that adblockers can necessarily protect you)

But here goes:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/01 ... -the-wild/

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/di ... rowser.xml
the bug is being "massively exploited in the wild." Miscreants use these products to turn compromised websites into platforms for silently installing keyloggers and other types of malicious software on the computers of unsuspecting visitors. KrebsOnSecurity reporter Brian Krebs said the curators of both Blackhole and Nuclear Pack have taken to the underweb to boast of the addition to their wares. It's not yet clear how many websites have been outfitted with the exploits.
Update: Analysis from antivirus provider Kaspersky Lab indicates the exploits are already deployed on a variety of websites.
Bad stuff. Disable Java or remove it entirely (as I have done).
Unless you're running rather a lot of software. Crashplan is one example.

Notung

Post by Notung »

I don't know anything about law, as you can probably tell.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

There once was a toady lickspittle
With ego amazingly brittle
Between 'Pit and Pendulous he ran
Ne'er eluding FTBan
Please feel sorry for him just a little.

A middle-aged maiden broadly fearful
And by dissenting T-shirts made tearful
Is enraged by a copy
Of ceramics quite sloppy
And will give you a DMCA-earful.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Git wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Funny thing is, one of PZ's minions accused me of racism because of my YT username. His logic was pretty simple: "Bhurzum" sounds like "Burzum" (infamous one-man-band who set fire to churches, murdered his friend, spouted extreme right wing views etc) therefore I'm racist.
Wagner was an raving anti-semite. Freda Kalho was an unrepentant Trotskyist. Like Burzun/Varg Vikernes, neither used their art as a cover for their unpleasant politics. If we're going to start censoring artists on their personal views, then there will be fuck all left to listen/watch.
I'm surprised that new A+ poster H.P. Lovecraft has gotten away with it - so far. Lovecraft was just about the biggest bastion of outright racism and unapologetic privilege going. He wasn't shy about letting it inform his work, either.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Git wrote:
Wagner was a left winger who hung out with Bakunin, but yeah he also had objectionable views re: the Jews. I dampen the worry partially by noting that the Holocaust hadn't happened, so anti-semitism then didn't conjure up memories of it like it does for us. The conductor he appointed for Parsifal (his last work) was Hermann Levi, a jew, and I think his relationship with the jews is nothing like David Duke or Hitler, for instance.

That's an off-the-cuff partial defence of Wagner, for anyone who noted that my nym is a Wagner reference :p

welch

Post by welch »

Bhurzum wrote:
welch wrote: If I were the rest of FTB, I'd be pissed. They're about to get the kind of attention they don't want. Like "did 'zinnia' ever talk to you about this case?" kind of attention.
Well, if past interaction has taught me anything, it's only a matter of time until the screeching harridans at Ftb turn it into harassment, evidence for patriarchy/privilege and/or rape threats.

Yup.
I'm sure they will. But then they'll see that the people with real power don't give a fuck. Using a 'nym on FTB? That shit's gone. Christ, these aren't even civilian lawyers. This is, IIRC, all military. They play be slightly different rules. (How different for civilian witnesses I forget, it's been a while), but if I were Manning's counsel, I'd be too incoherently mad to call her and tell her just how ungodly stupid and self-centered she really is. What a fucking...brat.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
JAB wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Renee's Operation Smile drive has received $1855 in donations so far. :clap:
I put in one operation's worth, but it won't count to the on line stats that Renee gets because I sent it to the "operation smile canada" site. Just as good at doing the operations I think since they're the same organisation, but way better at giving me receipts that Revenue Canada will accept. Lets me give a bit more and keeps a little more out of Stephen Harper's hands.
I believe I can still add it as an "offline" donation. Send me a PM with your name, city, and zip and I'll see what I can do :) Oh, and THANK YOU!!
I think the actual number should be closer to the $2,500 (50%) mark. I don't think my donation is showing in the tally yet.

LMU

Post by LMU »

BarnOwl wrote:There once was a toady lickspittle
With ego amazingly brittle
Between 'Pit and Pendulous he ran
Ne'er eluding FTBan
Please feel sorry for him just a little.

A middle-aged maiden broadly fearful
And by dissenting T-shirts made tearful
Is enraged by a copy
Of ceramics quite sloppy
And will give you a DMCA-earful.
:lol: I am enjoying these. As an aside, I enjoy most if not all of the jokes and things posted here even if I and others don't say so (I remember franc commenting that there wasn't even a chuckle at a post that he made that I did find amusing). If I don't think I have something valuable to add I try to refrain from posting, it cuts down on the "This! This a thousand times!" factor that we see in other places, and also hopefully lowers the average inanity of my own posts. TL;DR: keep up the good work!

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

There once was a woman with "cancer"
Who who knew that she had the right answer
To an ancient old ruse
She used it to buy shoes
And some were so dumb they financed her.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Re: Zinnia Jones
The connection between Zinnia and Bradley Manning has been public knowledge for years. I remember reading about it months ago, albeit not from Zinnia's point of view.
This current debacle is mindbogglingly stupid of her - as 99% of commenters seem to be pointing out.
Misogynists!
Upon further review, I'm starting to think the defense calling Zinnia as a witness is a genius move.
She gets up on the stand, her droning causes everyone else in the courtroom to fall asleep, Manning (who has been immunized by prior contact) escapes.

Unorthodox to be sure but it makes about as much sense as the rest of this story.

welch

Post by welch »

mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
Or maybe he was trying to show them the danger of accepting an idea because a lot of other people accept it. The exercise of proving a sphere is a sphere from the surface of said sphere is an interesting one at the high school level. I wonder if any of her classmates had the intellectual curiosity to do it?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

There once was a porker called Brayton
Whom everyone just loved to hate on.
From his daily two cows
He's the size of a house,
And the fucker's STILL piling the weight on.

welch

Post by welch »

John Brown wrote:Regarding Zinnia Jones:

I'm not embarrassed to say that until today, I really had no idea that she was trans. That might sound like contemptible and amazing ignorance on my part, but I see it differently.

I've honestly never cared how a person looks, how they identify, who they sleep with, etc. To me, much like the Marxian adage, gender has fallen away.

The only thing I concern myself with is a person's actions and a person's arguments.

That's probably why the first time someone accused me of being "misogynistic," my head almost imploded, because I simply could not wrap my mind around the concept. Why would anyone hate someone based solely upon their gender/sex/race/religion, etc?

That's child-like of me, I know, but it's a fault I'm happy to have.
My day's take:
if you have time to actively hate a group or groups of people because of shit like where they're from, skin color, what god they worship or genitalia, I know what the real problem is: you have too much free time. I recommend they take up something useful to better occupy their time
To which my mom would chime in with "like suicide!"

It's not like my dad was some kinda hippie. He really hated MLK. But that was because a King march inn Chicago fucked up a sure thing date with a really hot pan am stewardess. My dad wanted to get into the mile-high club, and this was his one real chance. So, maybe not the BEST reason, but a reason nonetheless. And it was just one guy. Not all black people.

I tried repeatedly to explain this to Umbridge, and the lemon-faced prune* couldn't deal with it. Somehow, the idea that there is a difference between "jane is a bitch" and "women ain't nothing but bitches" is beyond her abilities .

*yes, I know, it's a crack against appearances. Deal. Should I require the services of an external conscience, I live in a place with a plethora of overly-verbose crickets who can assume said duties just fine.