The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by ERV »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 93836e.png

Oh dear GAWD Ophelia - you work so hard all day and then have to spend your precious time deleting comments on your blog and telling people to fuck off on Twitter. You just never get a break, do you?

Bless your heart.
Oh no! Nanny Benson had to clean up comments on her blog today! All I had to do was cure AIDS. Im glad Im not her!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Nope, they've always been that weird. "Dangerously close to being violent"? Where have I heard that before?

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8376 ... 49ae_c.jpg[/spoiler]

Folks: It's a tactic. Get it?
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?
No, just me. If you remember, Stephanie Svan listed this as one of my violent threats:

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8393 ... 5908_o.jpg[/spoiler]
Junior, have you been raiding the Slymepit nuclear arsenal again? Bad Mykeru! BAD!!!

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ERV wrote:Oh no! Nanny Benson had to clean up comments on her blog today! All I had to do was cure AIDS. Im glad Im not her!
You owe me a new monitor.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I want to stop for a moment and talk seriously about the usage of starwars and the darkside/lightside of the force by the serious academic, intellectual heavyweight that is Dr. Richard Carrier. Seriously Richard is this what you are reduced to? Potraying your intellectual adversaries as the minions of Darth Vader? Yes i know i have played into this meme and helped foster it through my adopting a sith avatar.

But let's get serious.

Richard is supposed to be an historian, is he not? Well he is obviously ignorant to star wars history, because it is his team which mirror the darkside most closely. Remember! The Emperor created a conflict, and then declared that emergency measures should be taken in order to safegaurd the republic from the nasty people within it, many lightside people fought for him and then used that power to assume control over the republic, which then became his empire. Pz is your emperor Richard, and you aren't Luke, you're Anakin.

Guess that make me Obi Wan, since i'm zen. And claimed it first.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Metalogic42 wrote:
ERV wrote:Oh no! Nanny Benson had to clean up comments on her blog today! All I had to do was cure AIDS. Im glad Im not her!
You owe me a new monitor.
[youtube]inePC0E_atg[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Altair wrote: And then Ophelia says she found about it on Aratina's Twitter feed. I find nothing there about it, but I assume the "harming local businesses" refers to PZ's call from the car dealers. That doesn't sound like harming anyone, it's bad, takes away their time and it's annoying, but I wouldn't call it harming.

These guys are getting weirder by the minute.
Seems likely that the pranksters would be local to PZ, if indeed there were any pranks pulled at all. Wanks? Almost certainly, but I don't want to think about it. A stupid prank that would become stale quickly, if for no other reason than: how many car dealerships can there be local to Morris MN, out there on the fucking prairie? I mean, it's not exactly a teeming metropolis. Oh, wait ...

::googles::

Yep, as I suspected. :lol:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ERV wrote: Oh no! Nanny Benson had to clean up comments on her blog today! All I had to do was cure AIDS. Im glad Im not her!
Blogging and pulling in professional victim points is hhhaaaarrrrddd. You with your AIDS work, you just don't know how bad Ophie has it!

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

Dick Strawkins wrote: The list is a rather mean spirited piece done by someone called roosh(?) who seems to be an anti-feminist MRA, I think.
Rather? Bloody nasty if you ask me. N.B. There is another reason why insults based on appearance cause pushback - other than people objecting to:

a) the tedious,lazy 'ad hom' response to an argument and
b) a generalised hippy type worry about people getting upset *

... and this is automatic identification with the person who is a target. I say this as an honest, self-aware, "fugly" woman. I must say that I experience immediate red mist in response to this idiotic piece.
It's really just trollbait and really deserve comment.
Yes - you are quite correct, but that doesn't stop me wanting to see a picture of him I can point and laugh at!
Ophelia, however whines on about it and brings in some quote from Jeremy Stangroom about the 'chill girls' generally being pretty (which Ophelia takes to mean she and her fellow bullies are being accuse of being ugly)
Oh, would that be the Jeremy that she wrote the feminist book Does God Hate Women with?

I must say that I don't see that as an a accusation of ugliness so much as an accusation of jealousy. Hmm. Maybe this is someone wondering about ugliness inside rather than making cheap shots about external appearance? Now, possibly I am being charitable here as I don't identify with jealousy at all. I like that there are very attractive people about and am genuinely happy for them. I hope they get many compliments and welcome offers of sexy times :D

* There is also the subtext of a puritan 'oh but my body is a temple to exercise' feel to many 'fat-shaming' comments, but that is a rant for another day.

-=-=-

Anyway, Ophelia, (as I suspect you read here) I just wanted to say that what you have just done with this comment about acid attacks is unacceptable. There is a difference between writing about this subject due to caring about victims and writing about this subject due to caring about a group with whom you personally identify. It may be that you are upset for some reason and cannot quite see how the distinction is being lost in your post, but being lost it is. Please do think about this.

N.B. I would go and say this on your blog, rather than here in this place that you loathe, but thing is ... you've banned me.

-=-=-

Renee, I see that you have a stunning fundraiser going on. Bloody well done. A good example of facilitating not just better appearance, but engagement with the world and general empowerment for these children. They will not be growing up with reduced language skills and they will have a voice to go along with their smiles. I shall send you some pennies after payday next week.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

justinvacula wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/PFxqdvO.jpg

God damn, these shits are just pathological. Worse than the most self-obsessed, drama-addicted teenagers I've ever seen.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
ERV wrote: Oh no! Nanny Benson had to clean up comments on her blog today! All I had to do was cure AIDS. Im glad Im not her!
Blogging and pulling in professional victim points is hhhaaaarrrrddd. You with your AIDS work, you just don't know how bad Ophie has it!
Boy howdy do I feel useless compared to OB ... all I do all day is teach medical and dental students, and work on the genetics of inherited cancer syndromes.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Nope, they've always been that weird. "Dangerously close to being violent"? Where have I heard that before?

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8376 ... 49ae_c.jpg[/spoiler]

Folks: It's a tactic. Get it?
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?
No, just me. If you remember, Stephanie Svan listed this as one of my violent threats:

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8393 ... 5908_o.jpg[/spoiler]
Junior, have you been raiding the Slymepit nuclear arsenal again? Bad Mykeru! BAD!!!
Courtesy the White Cock of Authority himself:

[spoiler]http://www.alstefanelli.com/mykerubomb.jpg[/spoiler]

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jan Steen wrote:http://i.imgur.com/b1GXhNY.jpg

FreeThoughtBorg
Fap, fap, fap.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Corylus wrote: -=-=-

Renee, I see that you have a stunning fundraiser going on. Bloody well done. A good example of facilitating not just better appearance, but engagement with the world and general empowerment for these children. They will not be growing up with reduced language skills and they will have a voice to go along with their smiles. I shall send you some pennies after payday next week.
Thank you so much and whatever you can do will be most appreciated! Even just getting the word out is more than enough.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Well, The Prune probably succeeded in deleting each and every comment she didn't like at great personal sacrifice to herself (what has been read cannot be unread).

However, I bet you didn't actually cure AIDS today, did you, Abbie?

Fucking slacker. My contempt for your how's-it-hanging slacker ways knows no bounds.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

We added a segment to our little podcast called "Atheism Plus Watch":
http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/131

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

clownshoe wrote:We added a segment to our little podcast called "Atheism Plus Watch":
http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/131
Link #5 is borked

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Link #5 is borked[/quote]

ta, fixed now.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

/Serious post for Renee:

I have a lot of healthy and tasty smoothie recipes that might be good for your guy post-surgery. I've adapted them to be low-fat/low-calorie (because I like to fat-shame myself) and high-protein (I drink them after long runs), but you could easily add various things to boost the calories and fat.

Basically I tried most of the smoothie recipes that came with my VitaMix, and used a green Sharpie to cross out the ones that had the consistency of pond scum. I did not, however, look at the recipes that had ice cream or peanut butter in them, because that would be Trouble.

Anyways, PM me if interested - I'm happy to share. I'll even look at the ones that have ice cream in them, and perhaps I can experience them vicariously. I've also taste-tested a number of protein powders.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote:
No one said it prevented HIV/AIDS. No. One. Said. That.

What has been said, and seems to be borne out by the data is that it can make it harder, not impossible, but harder to get HIV/AIDS. It is also not a *replacement* for condoms. Note that UNAIDS is still *very* much behind condoms. But, because there are real issues when you are talking about a lot of catholics getting fed a lot of bullshit by a lot of priests in getting people to use condoms, this is *an additional way to help fight the spread of HIV/AIDS".

That is all it is about, that is how it is being used. There is no 100% way to prevent sexual transmission of HIV/AIDS other than a complete air gap. Even condoms fail, even when used correctly. Not often, but there is a non-zero failure rate. This is not Canada/US. You have to adapt your solutions for the area, and if this helps lower transmission rates, then I can't see being against it because here in honkieland, you don't need it as much.
I don't think that's a good enough reason to promote a painful mutilating procedure. Maybe if there were nothing else, it would save an estimated percentage of people. But there is something else, something much better. Fuck the church and make condoms available. Maybe set up a few local condom factories that will produce locally and make a few jobs too.

I just can't accept backing down and allowing the catholics to interfere regarding condoms. GMOs should be spreading the truth about condoms (since the priests are lying about them) and hand them out like crazy.

Condoms (other than their small fail rate) protect both uncut and cut men alike (and their sex partners). No need to go on a mass mutilation campaign due to some fear of catholic outrage. If protection was complete or near complete (like condoms), I could see the point of it (no pun intended), but if it's a small increase in those who don't catch it, that still leaves far too many people dead even if cut. The best protection that we have so far are condoms, their high protection rate is best for all penises (cut or uncut).
Fight the church and against unnecessary mutilation and pain. Fight for condoms to be taught about and supplied.
And if people would stop raping and murdering and assaulting, we'd have no rape, murder, or assault, so insteadwe of people taking preventative measures, we should only focus on that.

No one, *no one* here is disputing condom effectiveness. But to wave your hand and say "well, if we just push condoms harder, the problem will go away" is ignoring the real barriers to widespread condom use in those areas. Those barriers will not come down today, nor tomorrow, and they may never come down. That is the reality. Fuck, you can't even get full condom acceptance in the US and Canada. Yes, it would be nice if the Catholic Church didn't have the power it has, but for now, it does, and that must be dealt with in a manner other than denial. Note, it's not just the Catholics. You do realize that in some areas of sub-Saharan Africa, people still actively believe in fucking witchcraft, right?

As far as the factories thing? Um, do you have any idea of what even a small factory making generic widgets requires, much less one making medical products with high tolerance requirements requires? That's assuming you have the rest of the infrastructure in place. You may have noticed that rather a few of the countries in the areas we are talking about are kind if fucked in the infrastructure

I agree with working for the ideal. But I live in the world that is, and if making things better in THAT world requires some compromises or less than perfect solutions, so be it. Only accepting the perfect solution leads to a lot of nothing being done.
I see circumcision as more harmful than helpful, imperfect or not. Especially since it's avoiding a hugely better solution for no better reason than to kowtow to religion. The truth about diseases and condoms may be news (shocking unwanted news, even) to people brought up to believe in witchcraft and/or jesus, but maybe it's time they were given the opportunity to join the modern world. Instead of kowtowing to old ways, GMOs and other charities should present the truth and the best solution (condoms). GMOs make a fuck of a lot of money (most is wasted though on high salaries and the contrived 'rescue industry'). They could easily set up, if not factories, then simply mass imports of condoms along with teaching how and when to use them and when not to use them (eg; wants to have children with spouse).
Okay, so I'm done here. I have not said, nor has anyone said that this is being touted as a replacement for condoms or what have you. You wish to argue that point, find someone who is actually saying that and have a ball. But it's not me.

You also keep insisting that if we just tell people about condoms, TA DA. Well, given the amount of money and time spent doing that, I can safely say that no, just telling people about how awesome condoms are is not the solution you think it is. Again, you can't even make that work HERE, where the majority of the population doesn't assume that european doctors are lying to them. Your method doesn't work the way you think it does in as close to an ideal situation as you will ever get, and yet you insist that if we just keep doing that, well, it'll work.

I understand the relationship between my head and a brick wall. I know which one will win.

As far as mass imports of condoms working, there's so much naiveté in that statement that i can only conclude you literally know nothing about the entire continent beyond the last "tarzan" movie you watched. Just dumping a bunch of stuff in a place doesn't work. YOu still need infrastructure and all the other inconvenient bits.

Fuck, we tried that with FOOD in the 80s. Remember that? Live Aid? We are the World? Shipped a fuck ton of food to the area. How well did that work out? Not fucking very.

The real world is a really inconvenient place, but it's the one you have to deal with to get anything done.
No problems with distribution logistics and infrastructure if it was a whole heap of guns and bullets dumped in a pile. Condoms however, need a whole program of education behind it to work. With a life expectancy much lower than in the West I'd probably have a different approach to priorities in life than the ones we are expressing here.
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TheMan fucked up the spoiler.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

d00d. That's some epic Spoiler spoilerage.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

This looks like a conversation about the needless to say. Why, oh why, must morons make the conversations necessary? ^ ^

Spence

Post by Spence »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Spence wrote:
Oh and just managed to make my computer run out of memory. Apparently, a quarter of a terabyte of RAM is not enough. Grrr.
Hmmmm. That is a lot of RAM my man. I assume you are running a cluster? What exactly are you running?
Michael K Gray wrote:
Spence wrote:And just managed to make my computer run out of memory. Apparently, a quarter of a terabyte of RAM is not enough. Grrr.
256Gb of RAM?!?!
That's 10x more than I have, and I only stopped there because the motherboard wouldn't take any more.
Specs, or it didn't happen.
Ha ha been a bit busy so sorry for no reply until now. Boring geeky stuff below the spoiler.
[spoiler]It's not a cluster, just one machine. 32 cores, 256Gb of RAM for numerical modelling. Task manager screenshot below. And yeah, motherboard slots are a PITA so you have to buy large capacity modules and you have to pay top money for that capability. I'm churning some processor intensive stuff at the moment, so the memory usage is currently on the floor but all cores are busy. When I crashed the machine, it was crunching a slightly awkward 4 dimensional numerical integration with a nasty oscillation and an exponentially decaying ramping frequency which is a pig to converge. Just two cores but using all of the memory. Of course, setting the parameters incorrectly such that the problem was ill conditioned didn't help, although I can't take all the credit for that little slip up.
taskmgr.png
(13.74 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
[/spoiler]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote: Guess that make me Obi Wan, since i'm zen. And claimed it first.
I think I'm fucking JarJar.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, that wasn't a good time to forget to preview.

sacha

Post by sacha »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Just needed something to put on Justin V. so that everyone can more easily recognize him at the Women in Secularism conference.
What about a target? Poor Justin.
poor Justin indeed. He needs to be wired with a spy camera and have a chaperone. I don't think it is a good idea for him to attend alone.

I know I'm far behind. I'm trying to catch up

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

sacha wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Just needed something to put on Justin V. so that everyone can more easily recognize him at the Women in Secularism conference.
What about a target? Poor Justin.
poor Justin indeed. He needs to be wired with a spy camera and have a chaperone. I don't think it is a good idea for him to attend alone.

I had the same thought about a camera, in case (likely) that someone accuses him of something just out of spite. BUT then you know if Justin uses or shows any footage, he'll be flamed for spying and being all creepy.

However, I still think having solid evidence like video is immensely helpful and outweighs the inevitable and predictable accusations that will be levelled against him.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:From Carrier's piece:
Moreover, if atheism is good for people, it ought to be good for racial minorities as well. We should want to spread the movement into their neighborhoods.
WTF kind of segregated environment does Carrier reside in? "Spread the movement into their neighborhoods?"
O-o

"Racial minorities" are not people?????????
The prevalence of racism within the community of Baboons is staggering. Overt racism, masquerading as equality.

Altair

Post by Altair »

sacha wrote:

I say we buy him one of these:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... 4c3a4f.jpg

That way he can tell every woman he meets "Please don't take this the wrong way, I find you very interesting. Can you repeat what you just said, a bit closer to my penis?"

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

BarnOwl wrote:d00d. That's some epic Spoiler spoilerage.
Tapatalk did it. Sorry folks.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

TheMan wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:d00d. That's some epic Spoiler spoilerage.
Tapatalk did it. Sorry folks.
I don't even know what Tapatalk is, so if I tried to use it, the entire internetz might implode.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I have been pointed out on the FB anti-atheism+ page that Carrier's "Moreover, if atheism is good for people, it ought to be good for racial minorities as well. We should want to spread the movement into their neighborhoods." is actually not racist, as I first interpreted it. I still don't get what they're trying to say over there, but I've never been known to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Any help in understanding why my interpretation is wrong would be welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/43616382 ... up_comment

Your interpretation was completely correct. It is indeed a racist statement.

I had a friend who called this sort of racism "Plantation owner's descendent" syndrome. White Guilt - Crackers who think they know what is best for the poor, downtrodden, sad minorities. They often "slip" and make overtly racist statements concealed within more inconspicuous (and more insidious) racism that masquerades as some sort of charity which is done to alleviate their guilt.
It does not really matter what would actually help minorities, and what is said by the non-white people themselves, is casually dismissed. "They don't know what is good for them - we know better". The point isn't to make the lives of anyone easier, except for the whites themselves. Deciding what needs to be done, and how it needs to be done is based upon reducing as much White Guilt as possible, so they can feel better about themselves.
The minorities are no better off after all is said and done, but the whites are able to sleep at night.

It's rather common among white bleeding-heart liberal Merkins.

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:
Chilly P. wrote:
MRA groups that place male circumcision alongside Female Genital Mutilation need to learn how to a) prioritize, and b) pick their fights, and c) make a compelling argument because they are often wrong, annoying, and people are right to call them on it.
Yes. There is a great deal of false equivalency between circumcision ("MGM") an FGM. The latter doesn't have a shred of medical benefit behind it, and does indeed result in many women not being able to achieve orgasm.
MRA's make the mistake of allowing western hospitalised forms of male cutting to be compared to 3rd world female cutting. Male cutting in the 1st world is compared to full legal protection for females. What is done to boys in the 3rd world is comparable to many forms of female cutting, except that males are subjected to it in far greater numbers.

I dont see why anyone should back down from this issue. There's endless demonisation of men as monsters who violate others, but very few are willing to examine their role in how they shape a monster in the first place. Theres no disadvantage to respecting the boundaries of male bodies.
No, but really? "How they shape a monster"?

Sigh

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Boy howdy do I feel useless compared to OB ... all I do all day is teach medical and dental students, and work on the genetics of inherited cancer syndromes.
Slacker

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Is the mafia offering protection to Ophelia?

http://i.imgur.com/B2DH2GE.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-423314

The paranoia of these people is ludicrous. Threaten back? Who is threatening her, FFS? Get real, you moron.

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

There are male circumcisions that are done because of a tight foreskin, mine around 4 years old. skepCHUD Jr. has been sensitive enough for me, i have doubts there is that significant a loss in sensation.
Anecdote; I've heard of someone with a tight foreskin that had not been removed that had split during sex, apparently much blood was spilt, though not a life threatening situation.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

skepCHUD wrote:There are male circumcisions that are done because of a tight foreskin, mine around 4 years old. skepCHUD Jr. has been sensitive enough for me, i have doubts there is that significant a loss in sensation.
Anecdote; I've heard of someone with a tight foreskin that had not been removed that had split during sex, apparently much blood was spilt, though not a life threatening situation.
This must have been tested scientifically at some point?

windy

Post by windy »

welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote: [...]
As far as the factories thing? Um, do you have any idea of what even a small factory making generic widgets requires, much less one making medical products with high tolerance requirements requires? That's assuming you have the rest of the infrastructure in place. You may have noticed that rather a few of the countries in the areas we are talking about are kind if fucked in the infrastructure
[...] They could easily set up, if not factories, then simply mass imports of condoms along with teaching how and when to use them and when not to use them (eg; wants to have children with spouse).
[...]
You also keep insisting that if we just tell people about condoms, TA DA. Well, given the amount of money and time spent doing that, I can safely say that no, just telling people about how awesome condoms are is not the solution you think it is. Again, you can't even make that work HERE, where the majority of the population doesn't assume that european doctors are lying to them. Your method doesn't work the way you think it does in as close to an ideal situation as you will ever get, and yet you insist that if we just keep doing that, well, it'll work.

I understand the relationship between my head and a brick wall. I know which one will win.

As far as mass imports of condoms working, there's so much naiveté in that statement that i can only conclude you literally know nothing about the entire continent beyond the last "tarzan" movie you watched. Just dumping a bunch of stuff in a place doesn't work. YOu still need infrastructure and all the other inconvenient bits.

Fuck, we tried that with FOOD in the 80s. Remember that? Live Aid? We are the World? Shipped a fuck ton of food to the area. How well did that work out? Not fucking very.
FFS, both of you are arguing about things that are already in existence. Welch, you're totally correct that there are massive barriers to condom use and just throwing more condoms at it won't fix it by itself. But generalising from Live Aid is about as dumb as generalising from Tarzan movies. The HIV epidemic is worst in relatively wealthy and stable countries like Botswana and here in South Africa -the assumption that they, or the "area" in general, is unable to manufacture or import condoms is silly. Many governments have their own condom distribution programs, and the poorer countries like Malawi are getting them from NGOs. We're not talking about airdropping food into the Sahel here.

SN also has a point in that circumcision campaigns could easily backfire by creating a false confidence. Since we're not living in an ideal world, we can't assume that people won't use it as an excuse to continue with risky sex. Like this notorious Ugandan circumcision poster suggests.
http://www.jhuccp.org/sites/all/files/S ... dscape.JPG

BTW, coming as a bit of a surprise to researchers, the only country in the region that has seen a substantial decline in HIV prevalence recently is Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe: an HIV prevention success story

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

The glans of the circumcised penis is less sensitive to fine touch than the glans of the uncircumcised penis. The transitional region from the external to the internal prepuce is the most sensitive region of the uncircumcised penis and more sensitive than the most sensitive region of the circumcised penis. Circumcision ablates the most sensitive parts of the penis.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I used to like OB. But now when I visit FTB I cannot even mouse over Butterflies and Wheels without feeling like I am going vomit. Thanks to all her lies and manipulations, and false accusations - the thought of her just makes me sick.

welch

Post by welch »

One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

http://instagr.am/p/UpC7XygfW8/

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Oh, for fuck's sake.
Can someone tell this idiot he has just given Ophelia a gift?

http://www.freezepage.com/1358558531QFFXDFGXVU

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png

To any FTBers, you know this guy is not serious, but for the record, I think he was a stupid asshole for even writing it.

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

The glans of the circumcised penis is less sensitive to fine touch than the glans of the uncircumcised penis. The transitional region from the external to the internal prepuce is the most sensitive region of the uncircumcised penis and more sensitive than the most sensitive region of the circumcised penis. Circumcision ablates the most sensitive parts of the penis.
Wow. My dick doesn't work? If only I'd known.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Do they criticize fellow FtBers when they say over the top things about torture, dying painful deaths, or things such as dying in fires?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

welch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
Chilly P. wrote:
MRA groups that place male circumcision alongside Female Genital Mutilation need to learn how to a) prioritize, and b) pick their fights, and c) make a compelling argument because they are often wrong, annoying, and people are right to call them on it.
Yes. There is a great deal of false equivalency between circumcision ("MGM") an FGM. The latter doesn't have a shred of medical benefit behind it, and does indeed result in many women not being able to achieve orgasm.
MRA's make the mistake of allowing western hospitalised forms of male cutting to be compared to 3rd world female cutting. Male cutting in the 1st world is compared to full legal protection for females. What is done to boys in the 3rd world is comparable to many forms of female cutting, except that males are subjected to it in far greater numbers.

I dont see why anyone should back down from this issue. There's endless demonisation of men as monsters who violate others, but very few are willing to examine their role in how they shape a monster in the first place. Theres no disadvantage to respecting the boundaries of male bodies.

Sigh
What don't you understand? There has been endless spiels about males not respecting personal boundaries of others while simultaneously denying males personal boundaries and bodily autonomy from a young age. Taking a knife to a boys genitals is only one of many forms. Take your pick - trivialisation of physical abuse, humour of male rape, even a wife cutting off a man's penis elicits laughter. Unless youre a sociopath, it should be fairly obvious that those are not positive lessons to be teaching males society-wide, and you shouldn't be surprised to find greater rates of harmful behaviour in later life. Abuse a puppy and tell me what kind of dog it turns into.

welch

Post by welch »

HoneyWagon wrote:Oh, for fuck's sake.

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png

To any FTBers, you know this guy is not serious, but for the record, I think he was a stupid asshole for even writing it.
And people wonder why I recommend not dealing directly with them. Tell me that twonk isn't in the 'pit.

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

Is that you, Welchy?

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:
welch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
Chilly P. wrote:

Sigh
What don't you understand? There has been endless spiels about males not respecting personal boundaries of others while simultaneously denying males personal boundaries and bodily autonomy from a young age. Taking a knife to a boys genitals is only one of many forms. Take your pick - trivialisation of physical abuse, humour of male rape, even a wife cutting off a man's penis elicits laughter. Unless youre a sociopath, it should be fairly obvious that those are not positive lessons to be teaching males society-wide, and you shouldn't be surprised to find greater rates of harmful behaviour in later life. Abuse a puppy and tell me what kind of dog it turns into.
Yes. Circumcision tarp urns men into sociopaths. Why, if he'd not been cut, Ted buddy would have been a fucking saint.

Funk me, this is EXACTLY like talking to the NRA or La Leche.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

@JerryConlon seems to be no longer on twitter.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

Is that you, Welchy?
Yep. I'm the one in the middle.

welch

Post by welch »

HoneyWagon wrote:[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

@JerryConlon seems to be no longer on twitter.
Oh darn. He seemed like such a deep thinker

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

DownThunder wrote:
Yes, but those are dogs, who wouldn't care too much if they witnessed another dog be over aggressive with another organism. By "abuse a puppy" are you talking about boys specifically being abused and no one caring, & it being trivialized, or growing up seeing that it would be trivialized if they were abused? Because the latter is not abuse itself.

Anyway, if any MRAs are comparing 1st world cutting to 3rd world cutting of guys, they set themselves up for rebuttals. If they are looking at that, they might as well just oppose it all (acknowledging that 3rd world cutting of girls and guys is worse... did that message say it happens to baby boys too?). A better comparison would be "would it be no big deal to cut a baby girl's parts in a 1st world hospital with supposed "pain" help? (It's suspected that they still feel the circumcision. Suspected is an understatement that people writing pieces on it might use to trod carefully. Let's get for real. They're crying because they're in pain. You see how the cries intensify when the knife zooms back into their flesh? That's pain, not fear.)

decius

Post by decius »

That was vile.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

Wow. My dick doesn't work? If only I'd known.
This does not mean your dick doesn't work. It just means that (unsurprisingly) its threshold for very fine stimulation is higher than that of an uncircumcised one. The results look the same for vibration as they are for fine touch. I don't think this necessarily even means that you feel less pleasure etc. than an uncircumcised person, because that is probably a few stages and changes of representation away from simple sensitivity, but it does mean that "I don't think it made me any less sensitive" is likely false.

Take-home message I guess is not to try to crack any safes with it.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

HoneyWagon wrote:[spoiler]Oh, for fuck's sake.

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png[/spoiler]

But they will pretend it is serious. They will call it a threat. Mark my words.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

DownThunder wrote:
Well, humans aren't puppies, but I get the point. Are you talking about boys being abuse victims themselves with no one to care, or them simply noting that if they were abused, people may not care?

Anyway, if anyone is comparing 1st world cutting to 3rd world cutting, they're setting themselves up for an obvious rebuttal. Why not instead ask, "if this was done unnecessarily to baby girl's, in a 1st world hospital, with supposed 'pain compensation' it still wouldn't be acceptable," and also note that yes, 3rd world cutting is obviously awful - I'd add in that it's done to both sexes if that's what someone was saying there. If anyone dares to say that the pain medication is enough, get for real. Even documents that use euphemisms and tread lightly that are not anti-circumcision note that "it is justified to suspect that they do feel pain during the circumcision process rather than it all being due to simple discomfort or fear." You see how their cries intensify when the knife takes another lunge? That's pain, people.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Wow, sorry for double posting. it told me that my post never posted... gave me a weird error message and I thought I had to try again.