The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
sKepptiksowat

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by sKepptiksowat »

MikeyC wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Thanks for the comments and shit on my video, people. I saw that petition and just couldn't remain silent.
Logged in just to say...

Al

Without a doubt the best damn rebut I've ever seen. The. Best. Damn. One.

Bravo.

I hope the folks that ridiculous petition is intended to reach will see it.
You sir, are a fargin icehole. Bastage.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Bhurzum wrote:I love Wagner!

"Sigfried's funeral" is an amazing piece of music.

Do you like Rachmaninov by any chance?
A bit - haven't listened to him that much. I once played trombone (i.e. counted rests) in the 3rd piano concerto - that was pretty good.

Yep, Wagner is hard to get into (his structures are huge) but once you do...

I heard the Prelude to Tristan und Isolde at 6th form and I had to concede that I'd just heard something better than Mahler (my fav at the time). That was about 10 years ago now...

Check this out (it's not the prelude btw):

Reap

Post by Reap »

I can't take credit for the animation...I just 'enhanced' it
[youtube]2G6A3CjUB8o[/youtube]

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

About time for a bit of racist cultural appropriation:

arguments are not,
better than emotions,
you misogynist

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Cliché Guevara wrote:Re: "Do these people never laugh?"

"Laughter is bourgeois": http://www.akpress.org/laughterisbourgeois.html

Slightly incomplete transcript here: http://archive.org/stream/LaughterIsBou ... s_djvu.txt
That is quite interesting - it implies PC as we know it emerged from Maoist fellow travelers. The Baboons seem to have picked up the kind of crypto-authoritarian schtick that was perfected during the Cultural Revolution (albeit without the physical violence, of course, but I sometimes wonder if this is purely because society wouldn't let them get away with it)

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

welch wrote:
It's not like my dad was some kinda hippie. He really hated MLK. But that was because a King march inn Chicago fucked up a sure thing date with a really hot pan am stewardess. My dad wanted to get into the mile-high club, and this was his one real chance. So, maybe not the BEST reason, but a reason nonetheless. And it was just one guy. Not all black people.
I can actually relate to that a good deal. I STILL hold a personal grudge against Elvis. I caught a long bit of the movie THX-1138 (with the sound turned off!) during a rather wild party many, many moons ago. I was somewhat under the weather (or way the fuck OVER, depending on your viewpoint) and seeing those unexpected visuals just messed with me good. I searched for six months to find when the movie was going to be shown again so I could see the whole thing in proper context (this is long before the intertoobs were available). This meant checking printed weekly TV listings line by line every week looking for the movie title. Finally, after about six months, the movie was listed in the programming. I was ready - beer and chips all set, TV time reserved and good to go. About 24 hours before the broadcast, Elvis ups and dies. The bastards cancelled all previously scheduled movies and filled every broadcast slot with an Elvis movie for WEEKS. Did I mention how much Elvis movies grate on me? AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

They finally rescheduled THX-1138 several months later, but I've never forgiven the fat bastard for croaking when he did. Oh, to bring this back on track, while I still hate Elvis, I love all his impersonators. American kitsch at its best - or worst, which for kitsch is kind of the same thing. :D

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

PZ profoundly misses the point of Thunderf00t's new video

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ting-tips/
While we’re on the subject of how the wimminz ought to behave, I should mention the F00t’s new video, titled, “Do Hot Girls Have All the Advantages?” Yep, it’s about how women have an edge by just being pretty.
Did he even watch the video, or was he too busy jacking it to Rebecca Watson?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

intellectual,
high ground must not be ceded,
to the douchebag slime

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
I think the actual number should be closer to the $2,500 (50%) mark. I don't think my donation is showing in the tally yet.
Yep. Prior to JAB's, I counted about $600 not showing yet. As I've said, I've got a guy working on this for me :) I can't believe we've hit the 50% mark already!
Which is seriously awesome!

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

somedumbguy wrote:PZ profoundly misses the point of Thunderf00t's new video

While we’re on the subject of how the wimminz ought to behave, I should mention the F00t’s new video, titled, “Do Hot Girls Have All the Advantages?” Yep, it’s about how women have an edge by just being pretty.
Probably rhetorical, I know, but given that he admitted to not watching the last video before posting a "rebuttal," I would be profoundly surprised if he did more than look at the title.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Reap wrote:I can't take credit for the animation...I just 'enhanced' it
2G6A3CjUB8o
Love it.

Especially like "The Slymepit: Keeping Skeptics Skeptical" tag at the end. Lsuoma, that should be an entry for Reap in your site header contest.

However, if that does win, you may wish to change the K's to C's so people don't start bitchin' about Merkins again... :whistle:

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

Scented Nectar wrote:Does anyone know how to go about finding out the public info on registered charities? And is it different in Canada? I couldn't find any 501c info links on CFI's Canadian branch's page. Maybe they're not even registered.
It will be different in Canada since the whole 501c stuff gets it name from the US tax code. But for American charities I usually start at charitynavigator.org. And occasionally search for the charities 990 form. For example following a link from JREF's Wikipedia page the 2010 990 shows
990-jref.JPG
(50.44 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments// ... accc-9.pdf

From the Operationsmile financials page their 2010 990 shows
990-opsmile.JPG
(92.37 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
http://www.operationsmile.org/assets/do ... 0-form.pdf

And by way of comparison, and why I like charity navigator, since it will put the executive pay on the main screen it returns on a charity search, Greta's/A+ Dress for Success
sal-dfs.JPG
(18.35 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=7942

But Charity Navigator does not always have the info as it did not for the JREF or Operation Smile. But as to researching Canadian charities, I don't have the foggiest ideal.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Rystefn wrote:

Probably rhetorical, I know, but given that he admitted to not watching the last video before posting a "rebuttal," I would be profoundly surprised if he did more than look at the title.
He probably didn't. Which is a great opportunity for TF00t to start fucking with PZ by purposely giving his videos misleading titles that will cause PZ to go into totally erroneous hysterics.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploa ... r-them.png

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

welch wrote: Or maybe he was trying to show them the danger of accepting an idea because a lot of other people accept it. The exercise of proving a sphere is a sphere from the surface of said sphere is an interesting one at the high school level. I wonder if any of her classmates had the intellectual curiosity to do it?
yep, I could buy that. If she were willing, it would certainly be interesting for her to get back in touch with her old history teacher to see if she read the situation right (she looks a lot younger that aron) - could be a valuable lesson

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AbsurdWalls wrote:intellectual,
high ground must not be ceded,
to the douchebag slime
Ah, haikus now! Nice twist.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Notung wrote: Check this out (it's not the prelude btw):
Absolutely amazing!

Thanks for that, it'll be in my archive for years to come.

How about the unofficial "Atheism plus anthem" to get your gears grinding?

(Moser makes the aria her own! "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" indeed!)

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Wagner can be forgiven almost anything for having composed this:

[youtube]5MlfnHXuhVI[/youtube]

codelette

Post by codelette »

Zenspace wrote:
welch wrote:
It's not like my dad was some kinda hippie. He really hated MLK. But that was because a King march inn Chicago fucked up a sure thing date with a really hot pan am stewardess. My dad wanted to get into the mile-high club, and this was his one real chance. So, maybe not the BEST reason, but a reason nonetheless. And it was just one guy. Not all black people.
I can actually relate to that a good deal. I STILL hold a personal grudge against Elvis. I caught a long bit of the movie THX-1138 (with the sound turned off!) during a rather wild party many, many moons ago. I was somewhat under the weather (or way the fuck OVER, depending on your viewpoint) and seeing those unexpected visuals just messed with me good. I searched for six months to find when the movie was going to be shown again so I could see the whole thing in proper context (this is long before the intertoobs were available). This meant checking printed weekly TV listings line by line every week looking for the movie title. Finally, after about six months, the movie was listed in the programming. I was ready - beer and chips all set, TV time reserved and good to go. About 24 hours before the broadcast, Elvis ups and dies. The bastards cancelled all previously scheduled movies and filled every broadcast slot with an Elvis movie for WEEKS. Did I mention how much Elvis movies grate on me? AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

They finally rescheduled THX-1138 several months later, but I've never forgiven the fat bastard for croaking when he did. Oh, to bring this back on track, while I still hate Elvis, I love all his impersonators. American kitsch at its best - or worst, which for kitsch is kind of the same thing. :D
My husband and I planned for our wedding rings to be engraved with THX 1138 (mine) and LUH 3417 (his). It was our way of saying that we belong to each other and no obstacles could take us apart. :D

And that's all I have to say bout that.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Gumby wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

He probably didn't. Which is a great opportunity for TF00t to start fucking with PZ by purposely giving his videos misleading titles that will cause PZ to go into totally erroneous hysterics.

[spoiler]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploa ... r-them.png[/spoiler]
I support it. Done properly, I could be a source of many lulz for quite a long time. Just, no one go over there and explain the joke.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

While on my desktop I read the PZ short post on Zinnia and Manning, and discovered something that suggested Manning wanted to be called "Breanna"? Other than curiousity (that Manning may be trans-whatever), why would this be any kind of big deal? Other than someone using the "trans people are degenerates" argument (which is bullshit)...why would it matter one way or another? PZ only had 7 or so comments on it, so I'm sure the newer posts will return to his revenue-generating controversy (I assume this is the Tf00t post). On the Manning post, you basically had a bunch of people saying that the people who though Jones was making a mistake were being stupid. Not surprised, though, I think most of them get their knowledge of law from the same place they get their ideas of Social Justice - their fundament.

Which reminds me that I wanted to send a note to a site that was liveblogging the Manning trial, and writes a lot on it - Firedoglake - to see what they thought of it. I just have to get back to my desktop, find the links, and get my login info.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Gumby wrote:I suspect you're not far from the truth. I held out some hope for Grothe, but apparently he's willing to have the Skepchicks lead him around by the nose in order to keep the bottom line happy. I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes between Skepchick and JREF after the Amy-induced debacle at the last TAM. If, after all the miserable shit they pulled, the Skepchicks are back in force at TAM2013, policing the place and otherwise putting it under their smelly thumbs then I will have to assume JREF is a lost cause as long as DJ Grothe sits at the helm. And that would be a shame.
Even if the JREF organisers are still blind to the trouble the Baboons and Skepchicks caused, make no mistake, the actual people who turn up to enjoy TAM will make it clear they disaprove of them if they try the same shit again. Remember Surly Amy complaining about a hostile environment? That was pushback for all the shit they tried to pull. It will happen again if Watson and co. try it on.

I'd love it if Harriet Hall wore a T-shirt saying "I'm STILL not a Skep-Chick", and "I STILL feel safe and welcome at TAM". Other anti-Baboon and satirical swipes at the Skepchicks would be welcome. The resistance they faced at TAM last year knocked their confidence. Would love to see it happen again.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

welch wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:
But when it's pointed out that it's rather extraordinary to think a history teacher in high school would be a flat earther and asked if he might've been pulling her leg, she says the Flat Earth society exists, therefore it's not extraordinary to think her history teacher is a flat earther.

bwa ha ha.

Logic-Fail Я FTB
agree, she completely missed the point that its not unbelievable that a History teacher could be a flat earther, but the rationale he gave for it screamed he wasnt intending to be taken seriously.
I watched her first appearance with hubby on the MSS, she struck me at the time as being irony/sarcasm impaired, so it dosnt surprise me in the least.
Or maybe he was trying to show them the danger of accepting an idea because a lot of other people accept it. The exercise of proving a sphere is a sphere from the surface of said sphere is an interesting one at the high school level. I wonder if any of her classmates had the intellectual curiosity to do it?
I don't think many people would bother. Trusting received "knowledge" is far too easy, and humans are, by and large, spectacularly lazy. I remember pretty early on in Basic, I cracked a joke about the sun going around the Earth (which, predictably, most people people didn't get was a joke) and out the whole company only a couple of people bothered to even try to say how you could tell it was the other way around. The rest just rested on :My teacher told me" as their reason. Not exactly a random sample, obviously, but I would be surprised if the population at large didn't generally operate in a similar manner, based on my (also not statistically significant) life experience.

windy

Post by windy »

Notung wrote:
Yep, Wagner is hard to get into (his structures are huge) but once you do...
Here's a good intro ;)
[youtube]wQa-r5DiGZk[/youtube]

And the Zinnia Jones thing: another one for the "mind=boggled" column.
Badger3k wrote:While on my desktop I read the PZ short post on Zinnia and Manning, and discovered something that suggested Manning wanted to be called "Breanna"? Other than curiousity (that Manning may be trans-whatever), why would this be any kind of big deal?
It's similar to the gender-neutral pronoun thing: that it somehow dismisses or negates them if you accidentally attribute a different sex to someone than what they perceive themselves as being.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Even if the JREF organisers are still blind to the trouble the Baboons and Skepchicks caused, make no mistake, the actual people who turn up to enjoy TAM will make it clear they disaprove of them if they try the same shit again. Remember Surly Amy complaining about a hostile environment? That was pushback for all the shit they tried to pull. It will happen again if Watson and co. try it on.
I hope so. Maybe DJ feels he has to play nicey-nicey and be the diplomat, but that certainly doesn't extend to attendees.
I'd love it if Harriet Hall wore a T-shirt saying "I'm STILL not a Skep-Chick", and "I STILL feel safe and welcome at TAM". Other anti-Baboon and satirical swipes at the Skepchicks would be welcome. The resistance they faced at TAM last year knocked their confidence. Would love to see it happen again.
Since they meow-bitched about her wearing (possibly) the same shirt all three days, maybe we should send Harriet a Slymepit T-shirt to mix up her wardrobe a bit. That would cause the Skepchick undead to rise from their graves.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

There once was a twat called Greg Laden
Whose hairline was comically fading
But cause him butt-hurt
He'd leave you dead in the dirt
Then return to relentless white-knighting

(The 1st line doesn't really work but the vodka convinced me to post it anyway!)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Two of my former lab mates and I used to argue about classical music (and other things) while we were working late in the lab. After we'd all moved on to different places, I found this article, I think in the Earthwatch newspaper feature, and sent it to them.

Wagner's music kills okapis!

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Badger3k wrote:While on my desktop I read the PZ short post on Zinnia and Manning, and discovered something that suggested Manning wanted to be called "Breanna"? Other than curiousity (that Manning may be trans-whatever), why would this be any kind of big deal? Other than someone using the "trans people are degenerates" argument (which is bullshit)...why would it matter one way or another? PZ only had 7 or so comments on it, so I'm sure the newer posts will return to his revenue-generating controversy (I assume this is the Tf00t post). On the Manning post, you basically had a bunch of people saying that the people who though Jones was making a mistake were being stupid. Not surprised, though, I think most of them get their knowledge of law from the same place they get their ideas of Social Justice - their fundament.

Which reminds me that I wanted to send a note to a site that was liveblogging the Manning trial, and writes a lot on it - Firedoglake - to see what they thought of it. I just have to get back to my desktop, find the links, and get my login info.
It's not news at all than Manning has called himself Breanna and considers himself transgender.

The ignorant FTBs of course like their A+ counterparts falsely detected slur or outing and go into outrage mode.

Here is wired, July, 2011: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/0 ... lamo-logs/, search for "breanna".

It's a bit of an issue because, among other things, being gay has long been considered a security risk, so there are some that feel we shouldn't mention Manning is gay. Often though it was being closeted gay that was the security risk, because then you were easy to blackmail.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Tkmlac wrote:Hey guise! I have a very serial question to ask you.

Dost thou prefer the White Moostache of Authority? Or dost the new White Hat of Authority like you?

It's not a racist hat. I asked it. It told me it once took ceramic bowls to skid row to give out to the poor kids, so, you know, it can't be racist. Never mind that most of the other hats it sent to a HAT! convention on donations were also white hats.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Hwoam.jpg[/spoiler]
Definitely go with the hat :)

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Still reading "Laughter is Bourgeois" - its like a bloody secular prophecy of our situation:

"It was easy for small ideologically coherent, disciplined groups to intimidate the great mass of non-ideological and anarchic young people. What was once one big happy family became ridden with disputes, often of a very obscure nature." - Referring to Stalinists within the US "New Left". Or perhaps to the Watsonistas...

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

BarnOwl wrote:Two of my former lab mates and I used to argue about classical music (and other things) while we were working late in the lab. After we'd all moved on to different places, I found this article, I think in the Earthwatch newspaper feature, and sent it to them.

Wagner's music kills okapis!
They should have given a trigger warning :lol:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdgePenguin wrote:Still reading "Laughter is Bourgeois" - its like a bloody secular prophecy of our situation:

"It was easy for small ideologically coherent, disciplined groups to intimidate the great mass of non-ideological and anarchic young people. What was once one big happy family became ridden with disputes, often of a very obscure nature." - Referring to Stalinists within the US "New Left". Or perhaps to the Watsonistas...
History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

BarnOwl wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Funny thing about that. The Norse version of the last name Myers (as opposed to the ashkenazi jewish version), derives from "mires" as in swamp, which could be thought of as a pit full of slime and stagnant water. In some parts, people with his last name are called "dwellers by the swamp". I didn't save the link where I found this, but it was on a search of last names and their etymology or history or something like that.
I have ancestors on the German side who had the last name Meier. I was led to believe that it meant "farm overseer" or "farm manager," but perhaps that was wishful thinking on their part.
Looks like the German Meiers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_fam ... _etymology ) have roots in being farm administrators and mayors. As for the Nordic Myers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers ), wiki says:
The English surname may also have evolved from "physician" ("mire", Old French), or "marsh" ("myrr", Old Norse).
http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?view=1&surname=myer says:
Myer Name Meaningoccupational name from Old French mire ‘physician’.topographic name from Middle English mire ‘marsh’ (Old Norse mýrr) .variant of Mayer 1
It's just funny that we were named SlimePit by his site, and it was supposed to be an insult. Does he consider his last name an insult?

I might be wrong about his surname though. It's also possible that he got the surname from the British side of his family, in which case it means something else and he has a Norse mother with a different last name.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lost Moose wrote:But Charity Navigator does not always have the info as it did not for the JREF or Operation Smile. But as to researching Canadian charities, I don't have the foggiest ideal.
Thanks. I've bookmarked it. Overly high salaries for charity heads give me a whole new view on things. I think I'll consider the default to be money-grubbing corrupt. Also, if I were an evil person, I'd set myself up as the head of some charity that sounds good but does almost fuck all, sell the shit out of my idea to get gov't grants, advertise both openly and not so openly, get volunteers for all the day to day (or once in a while) shitwork, get donations (make sure advertising appeal real well to emotions.), sign my name to this or that once a week, pretend I worked 40 hours instead of doing other things on the computer, and then whistle happily as I go to the bank. Note that I said that was if I were an evil person.

Colour me disillusioned.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Tkmlac wrote:Hey guise! I have a very serial question to ask you.

Dost thou prefer the White Moostache of Authority? Or dost the new White Hat of Authority like you?

It's not a racist hat. I asked it. It told me it once took ceramic bowls to skid row to give out to the poor kids, so, you know, it can't be racist. Never mind that most of the other hats it sent to a HAT! convention on donations were also white hats.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Hwoam.jpg[/spoiler]
Add the moostakha to the pimp hat pic.(if you can)

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Rystefn wrote:
welch wrote:
The exercise of proving a sphere is a sphere from the surface of said sphere is an interesting one at the high school level I wonder if any of her classmates had the intellectual curiosity to do it
I do not think many people would bother. Trusting received knowledge is far too easy, and humans are, by and large, spectacularly lazy. I remember pretty early on in Basic, I cracked a joke about the sun going around the Earth ( which, predictably, most people people did not get was a joke ) and out the whole company only a couple of people bothered to even try to say how you could tell it was the other way around. The rest just rested on : my teacher told me as their reason. Not exactly a random sample, obviously, but I would be surprised if the population at large did not generally operate in a similar manner, based on my ( also not statistically significant ) life experience
You make an interesting point about humans being conditioned to accepted wisdom and not thinking for themselves, though I would also suggest that sometimes it is necessary to rely on the intellectual capability of others to explain phenomena as it may otherwise be incomprehensible to them. Incidentally, the Sun itself rotates around the galaxy it is part of, which rotates around the black hole at the centre of it all

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Speaking of the far left having the same problems as the atheists, the Socialist Worker Party in the UK is getting slammed by feminists.

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penn ... about-left

1. Some incident (probably a legitimate complaint) kicks off a 'debate' about misogyny in organization X
2. The debate is instantly concluded unilaterally by the feminists in favor of their being deep, structural misogyny present
3. Low and behold, the leadership of the targeted group is denounced for considering its goals more important than feminism

It seems to me that allegations of sexual impropriety of various level of severity are used as a wedge issue to attack organizations. They tend to be true, but the problem is that they are used to tar the entire host organization with the same brush.

Look at Julian Assange and Wikileaks. Look at Jimmy Saville and the BBC. Both guys are probably guilty of what they stand/rot accused of, but its entirely clear to me than the person isn't the real target, merely the method.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

LMU wrote:
justinvacula wrote:[spoiler]
Tfoot wrote:More lulz from Roth:
Apparently Amy is keen to show that she's not a man hater or trying to discourage men. So she's now allowing men to apply for her 'grant'. The lulz come of course when you click apply.

http://s9.postimage.org/djzl32grj/surly ... grants.jpg

Amy is encouraging men to apply for her 'Surly Woman Grant' that is 'Helping Women to participate in science and rationalism. One woman at a time' and that 'To apply for this Surly Woman Grant, please fill out the form below'. Wow, thats an interesting way to encourage men to apply!

Amy also points out that everything in this grant system is done by her. This just looks corrupt, and leaves her open to the criticism that shes using this as a back door to subsidize her drinking buddies to attend conferences.

Word to the wise Amy, if you don't want to appear corrupt, do not decide who wins yourself.
[/spoiler]

So...if I was able to make $8k at TAM selling jewelry and used some of that money to send two women to conferences would Rebecca Watson delete her post calling me an anti=woman leader? :p
Interesting idea but I'm pretty sure they'd be unimpressed. First any jewelry you sold would certainly be considered "fake jewelry" and second any women you sent to conferences would certainly be gender traitors or chill girls by their association with you if nothing else. Remember that to them it's not what you say or do, it's who you are and who you're friends with!
1up.
Sell Fluevog shoes.
See what happens to the anti-harassment policy afterwards.
"Organizers/booth babes/volunteers/attendees must not solicit the John Fluevog brand during the course of the conference, as it may be deemed offensive."

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

EdgePenguin wrote:Still reading "Laughter is Bourgeois" - its like a bloody secular prophecy of our situation:

Here's one of my favorite quotes...

The majority of those standing up to the bullying of the politically correct have been conservatives. This is no surprise, not being from the leftist camp, they have nothing to lose. Free thinking leftists tend to cower in fear, saying what they really think among their friends. No one can blame them, who wants to be insulted or threatened with expulsion from one's social group? One tendency that should be at the forefront of the struggle against the new totalitarianism is anarchism. The average student or worker supports neither the racists nor the PC fanatics, but despises them equally. If anarchists were to promote freedom of speech
and opposition to racism and sexism they would create an opening to the average decent person of this new "silent majority".

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Mr Danksworth wrote:

The majority of those standing up to the bullying of the politically correct have been conservatives. This is no surprise, not being from the leftist camp, they have nothing to lose. Free thinking leftists tend to cower in fear, saying what they really think among their friends. No one can blame them, who wants to be insulted or threatened with expulsion from one's social group? One tendency that should be at the forefront of the struggle against the new totalitarianism is anarchism. The average student or worker supports neither the racists nor the PC fanatics, but despises them equally. If anarchists were to promote freedom of speech
and opposition to racism and sexism they would create an opening to the average decent person of this new "silent majority".
Its queer isn't it, how I as a left winger feel more comfortable and less judged by the libertarians here than I do by the people who agree with me on 90% of issues over at FTB.

There is a conspiracy theory that suggests modern feminism was invented by the CIA to weaken the left. I don't believe it, on the basis that I can't imagine the CIA ever being so competent...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Lsuoma wrote:There once was a porker called Brayton
Whom everyone just loved to hate on.
From his daily two cows
He's the size of a house,
And the fucker's STILL piling the weight on.
Dude, don't you know discussing someone weight

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8373 ... 8bf3_z.jpg

Leads to pedantry?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I did a quick rant, because, even though I've been asking Watson supporters this question since way back during Elevatorgate, none have yet to give me a satisfactory answer.

ElevatorGuy Question - Still Unanswered
[youtube]C_13LxLf4w4[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

EdgePenguin wrote:[spoiler]
Mr Danksworth wrote:

[/spoiler]

Its queer isn't it, how I as a left winger feel more comfortable and less judged by the libertarians here than I do by the people who agree with me on 90% of issues over at FTB.

There is a conspiracy theory that suggests modern feminism was invented by the CIA to weaken the left. I don't believe it, on the basis that I can't imagine the CIA ever being so competent...
Some feel that Gloria Steinem was directed behind the scenes by the CIA. It may be a little conspiracist sounding, but there are some good points in this video:

Gloria Steinem Exposed: Feminist Spy for The CIA!
[youtube]CJ2qxGAKIu4[/youtube]

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

surreptitious57 wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
welch wrote:
The exercise of proving a sphere is a sphere from the surface of said sphere is an interesting one at the high school level I wonder if any of her classmates had the intellectual curiosity to do it
I do not think many people would bother. Trusting received knowledge is far too easy, and humans are, by and large, spectacularly lazy. I remember pretty early on in Basic, I cracked a joke about the sun going around the Earth ( which, predictably, most people people did not get was a joke ) and out the whole company only a couple of people bothered to even try to say how you could tell it was the other way around. The rest just rested on : my teacher told me as their reason. Not exactly a random sample, obviously, but I would be surprised if the population at large did not generally operate in a similar manner, based on my ( also not statistically significant ) life experience
You make an interesting point about humans being conditioned to accepted wisdom and not thinking for themselves, though I would also suggest that sometimes it is necessary to rely on the intellectual capability of others to explain phenomena as it may otherwise be incomprehensible to them. Incidentally, the Sun itself rotates around the galaxy it is part of, which rotates around the black hole at the centre of it all
True, I will concede that no one person has the time, energy, or competence to personally test and prove for themselves the whole of human knowledge. This has been the case for many centuries, at the very least. However, you can't really be said to "know" these things. You merely know that people say them. If you think that makes you competent to argue them with someone stating something different, you are parroting the rote answers of others, at best.

For example - I know that the earth is more or less round. There are a few different tests and demonstrations I've done/seen on this, but the most visceral (for me, at least) is that I've seen that ships on the horizon become visible at the top first, and that this goes in all directions, as well as seeing further by climbing higher on the boat. I am told that at the center of our galaxy is a black hole. This seems entirely plausible to me, and I've been told it by experts, but the proofs are above my head, at least as I've seen them presented so far.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Scented Nectar wrote:[spoiler]
EdgePenguin wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

[/spoiler]
Some feel that Gloria Steinem was directed behind the scenes by the CIA. It may be a little conspiracist sounding, but there are some good points in this video:

Like I said, if the CIA were so skilled at destroying leftist movements, the cold war would've been over in 6 months. I can't believe the clowns who organized the Bay of Pigs would be capable of poisoning their ideological opposition so completely and permanently.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Hidey ho. I am lucky enough to be banned by Pharyngula and SkepChick. Is this the last atheist message board I can join without being banned?

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Hidey ho. I am lucky enough to be banned by Pharyngula and SkepChick. Is this the last atheist message board I can join without being banned?
No, fuck off!

J/K welcome to the Slymepit :)

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

EdgePenguin wrote:Speaking of the far left having the same problems as the atheists, the Socialist Worker Party in the UK is getting slammed by feminists.

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penn ... about-left
Laurie Penny is the Rebecca Watson of the British Left... not as bad as Watson though. Penny is notable for asking WHAT ABOUT TEH MENZ sometimes and seeming like she does actually mean it - even if it does come across as being unbelievably naiive on occasion.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hey Edward Gemmer!

Welcome!

I saw yours posts on FTB forums - your sense of humour really pissed them off!

Loved it!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Hidey ho. I am lucky enough to be banned by Pharyngula and SkepChick. Is this the last atheist message board I can join without being banned?
Welcome to one of the last bastions of true free speech in the internet atheiosphere.

So what horrible crime did you commit to be banned? Use logic? Ask reasonable questions? Apply skepticism?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Welcome!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BTW - Our 'most users online' figure has now exceeded that of the A+ forum.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
Welcome to one of the last bastions of true free speech in the internet atheiosphere.

So what horrible crime did you commit to be banned? Use logic? Ask reasonable questions? Apply skepticism?
I believe he did.

He even used humour when the usual suspects (sally, cain, anthony K etc) attempted to eviscerate him.

It was beautiful.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Scented Nectar wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:[spoiler]
Mr Danksworth wrote:

[/spoiler]

It's documented, I mean, she has stated, that she has worked for the CIA.

But I've never seen it documented that the CIA funded Ms. Magazine, I've only seen claim after claim.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Thanks for the comments and shit on my video, people. I saw that petition and just couldn't remain silent.
Their petition is just one more piece of evidence to prove they are just a clique trying to in-group politics. 12-year olds, all of them.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

We welcome all who seek refuge from irrationality. Welcome to The Pit. No entrance fee's, but you have to get Lsuoma a beer.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Welcome to the "vile" others everyone's been talking about.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

another lurker wrote:Hey Edward Gemmer!

Welcome!

Loved it!
Thank you! Yeah, they were not a fan of jokes. I was really kind of surprised - I've been an atheist for a bit now, but just lately started following things on the internet. I always considered myself a feminist, and was very pleased at finding an atheist, feminist group, until they called me a rapist on Skepchick and then a wanker by PZ Myers. Wowzers is our community in need of a good sense of humor and a better brand of atheism.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Hidey ho. I am lucky enough to be banned by Pharyngula and SkepChick.
Check your privilege. We haven't all been so lucky.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

another lurker wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I believe he did.

He even used humour when the usual suspects (sally, cain, anthony K etc) attempted to eviscerate him.

It was beautiful.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdwardGemmer wrote:[spoiler]
another lurker wrote:Hey Edward Gemmer!

Welcome!

Loved it!
[/spoiler]

Thank you! Yeah, they were not a fan of jokes.
They like jokes as much as a vampire likes sunlight. That's because they are a joke.