The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
KacyRay

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by KacyRay »

Someone called "Jediverse" makes a very articulate, trenchant point to Carrier.

Which Carrier immediately dismisses without even a thought.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/arc ... ment-31684

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:We are not responsible for what another person writes on twitter, even if that person has posted here a few times. Guilt by association is a method of smearing people favoured by those with a totalitarian mindset. Let the likes of Ophelia Benson indulge in it, thereby exposing themselves for the bigots they are.
Case in point.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 454c1f.jpg

No bothering coming over here to check our opinions of Conlon's stupidity, only guilt by (very slim) association.

Hitler applied to the Vienna Art Academy, therefore the Vienna Art Academy is responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KacyRay wrote:Someone called "Jediverse" makes a very articulate, trenchant point to Carrier.

Haha. The simple-minded robotic focus of the religious fanatic. I bet Carrier didn't read one word. Or if he did, all he saw was the criticism of A+. Fucking automatons.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KacyRay wrote:Someone called "Jediverse" makes a very articulate, trenchant point to Carrier.

Actually, this reminds me of my days debating Christian fundamentalists. I would often lay out lengthy posts explaining in great detail why I don't believe, only to get the reply "So why haven't you given your life to Jesus?" :lol:

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

http://www.freezepage.com/1358603557NSWVXJBAOJ

I'm liking this guy BubbaRich. We should send him an invite to hang out in Slyme for a while.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Guest wrote:“BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.”

Suggest you check out user JTC. Here’s a hint, dumbass. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=40275#p42405
Oh well, my mistake. It doesn't matter anyway. What he did was a dick move, but it's not like the entirety of the 'pit is to blame.

Nor is it our obligation to distance ourselves at their whim. Although this is more acknowledgement than Zvan ever could muster, because at least we admit that he was a ponce. Good luck seeing Zvan do that with "get off the rag" Laden.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

I TOLD YOU NOT TO DOX HER JAN.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

Gumby wrote:

Actually, this reminds me of my days debating Christian fundamentalists. I would often lay out lengthy posts explaining in great detail why I don't believe, only to get the reply "So why haven't you given your life to Jesus?" :lol:
Yep. Let down a well-thought-out and articulate argument to Carrier, and his response is "Nice speech". I can't believe there was a moment when I had any respect for that guy.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Gumby wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:We are not responsible for what another person writes on twitter, even if that person has posted here a few times. Guilt by association is a method of smearing people favoured by those with a totalitarian mindset. Let the likes of Ophelia Benson indulge in it, thereby exposing themselves for the bigots they are.
Case in point.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 454c1f.jpg

No bothering coming over here to check our opinions of Conlon's stupidity, only guilt by (very slim) association.

Hitler applied to the Vienna Art Academy, therefore the Vienna Art Academy is responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews.
One day, a serial killer is going to rock up to the Pit ready for us to all make good on all those "threats" he heard about.

He's going to be very disappointed when he finds we're a rather agreeable lot who just speak up when we disagree with something.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

rocko2466 wrote:[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Only if you can read white text on a white background.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rocko2466 wrote:http://www.freezepage.com/1358603557NSWVXJBAOJ

I'm liking this guy BubbaRich. We should send him an invite to hang out in Slyme for a while.
Yeah, he's good. Of course, once he had them backed in a corner, PZ used the "witch hunt" accusation as a pretext for banning him.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

rocko2466 wrote:http://www.freezepage.com/1358603557NSWVXJBAOJ

Wow....what a disgraceful display by PZ. BubbaRich was clearly a threat to the bubble PZ has created for himself.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Is this why PZ is chasing the ad revenue so badly now?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-538835
We all make career choices. 100k+ job in the 90s' compared to pay-per-click $$$ he currently earns. Oh, and his day job. What is it again? Oh yeah, Professicator Myers.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Jan Steen wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Only if you can read white text on a white background.
I can. I checked my privilege. And now I can.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Guest wrote:“BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.”

Suggest you check out user JTC. Here’s a hint, dumbass. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=40275#p42405
Why yes it appears a Jerry Conlon threatened OB with a cosmetic. Next thing you know, someone is going to threaten to throw vinegar in her face.

It was a stupid thing to say in the context but he made a mistake. Human's make mistakes but you FtB people are super human and never make them.

welch

Post by welch »

Dilurk wrote:

Why yes it appears a Jerry Conlon threatened OB with a cosmetic. Next thing you know, someone is going to threaten to throw vinegar in her face.

It was a stupid thing to say in the context but he made a mistake. Human's make mistakes but you FtB people are super human and never make them.
Well, since conlon is a member...that was a fucking stupid thing to say Jerry. Maybe you should stop saying stupid shit like that.

And no, no, the FTB lot never ever makes threats. Not even Julian the spic.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Porcupines, rusty knives, fire, acid...what's the fucking difference?

btw, the crowd at Pharyngula also called me "childmolestor71" ya know because I was talking about the sexism I experienced as a stay at home dad.

Fuck all of them.

welch

Post by welch »

debaser71 wrote:Porcupines, rusty knives, fire, acid...what's the fucking difference?

btw, the crowd at Pharyngula also called me "childmolestor71" ya know because I was talking about the sexism I experienced as a stay at home dad.

Fuck all of them.
Well, you can't hold PZ responsible for his commentariat. After all, he moderates, so he's not responsible for what he allows through. It is only when you don't moderate that you're responsible.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

For the last time. Ophelia has been threatened by what we would normally call a cosmetic.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=224&start=5025#p51710
The acid he was referring to is used to exfoliate dead skin. I suspect it would sting as much as the concentration of acetic acid in vinegar (I have not checked their relative Ph etc. maybe the chemists here can tell us?) But disfigure and blind like battery acid? No. It was a clueless bad taste "joke" but a non-threat, and we know how fearful OB is of non-threats. Everyone heard 'acid' but there is acid in your everyday life. Did any of you drink orange juice this morning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascorbic_acid

It's like NMR scanners had to be called MRI in hospitals. People were frightened by the word "NUCLEAR" in NMR.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

welch wrote: Well, you can't hold PZ responsible for his commentariat. After all, he moderates, so he's not responsible for what he allows through. It is only when you don't moderate that you're responsible.
If he moderates a thread then he IS responsible, in my view. He's quick to ban slymepitters on sight but he'll let the truly vile comments stay.

This was one of Sam Harris' main gripes with Myers, if I recall.

welch

Post by welch »

jjbinx007 wrote:
welch wrote: Well, you can't hold PZ responsible for his commentariat. After all, he moderates, so he's not responsible for what he allows through. It is only when you don't moderate that you're responsible.
If he moderates a thread then he IS responsible, in my view. He's quick to ban slymepitters on sight but he'll let the truly vile comments stay.

This was one of Sam Harris' main gripes with Myers, if I recall.
There's a bit of an inside joke there. PZ has said for years he's not responsible for/can't control his commentariat, yet even though Abbie never moderated, she was personally responsible for everything we said

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

As usual, the commentary on Ophelia's blog just makes me laugh and cry both at the same time. But the funniest one have to be this one, from "die in a fire" Wowbagger,
wowbaggerwtf.jpg
(63.1 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Hahaha

Really? The KKK? Really?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... cepalm.jpg

*sigh* Wowbagger, you fucking idiot. :lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

debaser71 wrote:Porcupines, rusty knives, fire, acid...what's the fucking difference?

Fuck all of them.
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that some of them have a history of real life false accusations. I wonder how many of them put their fathers in jail claiming sexual abuse, lying as revenge for being grounded or something. Anyone there who called you a child molester for simply being a parent to your children, probably has a string of real life false accusations as well in their history.

I quite seriously would like to compare online false accusers with their real lives to see if they've ever accused anyone, like their relatives, of sexual abuse, and on what evidence. And then compare their accusation track records with the average.

A couple of years ago, some youtube feminists started throwing pedo accusations around...

[youtube]qqEApmVwR9E[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dilurk wrote:For the last time. Ophelia has been threatened by what we would normally call a cosmetic.
The acid he was referring to is used to exfoliate dead skin. I suspect it would sting as much as the concentration of acetic acid in vinegar (I have not checked their relative Ph etc. maybe the chemists here can tell us?) But disfigure and blind like battery acid? No. It was a clueless bad taste "joke" but a non-threat, and we know how fearful OB is of non-threats. Everyone heard 'acid' but there is acid in your everyday life. Did any of you drink orange juice this morning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascorbic_acid

It's like NMR scanners had to be called MRI in hospitals. People were frightened by the word "NUCLEAR" in NMR.
No. In the context of the blog post OB wrote, he most assuredly did *not* mean a skin care product: "Maybe a vial of acid would do you some good. You already look like you were set on fire and put out with a wet rake.". *AFTER* he was called out on this, he stated he was talking about skin care products.

In any case, it was in no way a threat to OB but she sure is taking it and running with it. As is expected.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dilurk wrote:

Gee, Guest, isn't it great that you can come over here and post your point, without being banned, deleted, edited, or otherwise over-moderated? You can explain your side of things, and look, your post is still there, unmodified. Slymepitters have even quoted it and responded to it. Maybe we should all go over to OB's place and explain that we find Conlon's tweet to be unconscionable, cruel, and revolting - you know, talk about our side of the story in a rational manner.

Oh, wait, we can't.

sacha

Post by sacha »

windy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR and because I feel like just fucking venting, Greta Christina can kiss my ever-loving, eternal ass. My guy is going to have part of his fucking tongue removed on the 25th. This is along with removing the mass on his neck and doing a throat camera look. Somehow, I'm thinking there aren't shoes out there to compensate for a piece of your fucking tongue. Her "fundraiser" is all the more assholish in light of what my guy is going through. A giant FUCK YOU to Greta. And her fucking ugly ass shoes.
Sorry to hear it Renee, my sympathies as well.
mine too, Renee

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote: Gee, Guest, isn't it great that you can come over here and post your point, without being banned, deleted, edited, or otherwise over-moderated? You can explain your side of things, and look, your post is still there, unmodified. Slymepitters have even quoted it and responded to it. Maybe we should all go over to OB's place and explain that we find Conlon's tweet to be unconscionable, cruel, and revolting - you know, talk about our side of the story in a rational manner.

Oh, wait, we can't.
Nope, we can't. I'm still in moderation over there, as is Rocko2466. Maybe she'll release them, but I doubt it. They have shown repeatedly that they only care about controlling which information gets to which people. I should have followed my own advice and not posted there, because it's futile. However, we all know there are many people who either hate this place or don't acknowledge its existence, who come here to lurk. So whether Ophie likes it or not, the truth of the matter is out there now.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

sacha wrote:
windy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR and because I feel like just fucking venting, Greta Christina can kiss my ever-loving, eternal ass. My guy is going to have part of his fucking tongue removed on the 25th. This is along with removing the mass on his neck and doing a throat camera look. Somehow, I'm thinking there aren't shoes out there to compensate for a piece of your fucking tongue. Her "fundraiser" is all the more assholish in light of what my guy is going through. A giant FUCK YOU to Greta. And her fucking ugly ass shoes.
Sorry to hear it Renee, my sympathies as well.
mine too, Renee
Thanks, Sacha :)

sacha

Post by sacha »

ReneeHendricks wrote:If a person puts out something to the public and it is found to be a blatant and purposeful lie, *everything* else they spew then becomes exceedingly suspect. *That's* my own particular issue with Watson and EG.
The benefit of the doubt flies right out the window immediately following the first lie. Her benefit of the doubt was gone many lies ago.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Lsuoma wrote:

My, but someone's throwing a tammy strop, no?
Bother. The name did sound familiar, but I could not recall the context/medium. I think I'd run across it on Twitter more than here and the search seems to back that up. But, there he is a member, and that will also be flogged. That is the price we pay for an open (diverse!) forum.

No one can speak for the idiot's real intent but themselves, but it is all but certainly an astoundingly bad attempt at an insulting joke at OB's expense. Yeah, you can count on seeing that one bandied about for a while. On the good side, don't forget that there is no such thing as bad publicity. The more the pyt gets mentioned, even in this context, the more visitors we get. The more visitors we get, the more will recognize that the FtB propaganda is almost pure bull and we gain followers and members. It continues to be a slow, painstaking process (and this twits work is a perfect example of the painful part), but the trend is becoming increasingly clear, and it trend is moving away from FtB. OB's histrionics are actually one of our best tools, as sickening it is to watch.

So let them continue to go through their increasing vapid death spiral. We will continue to help them along. No one ever said it was going to be pretty.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I'm a horrible person. Just now I noticed about Renee's husband. Sorry! :doh:

Happy thoughts to you and your husband, Renee. :romance-grouphug:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote: Nope, we can't. I'm still in moderation over there, as is Rocko2466. Maybe she'll release them, but I doubt it. They have shown repeatedly that they only care about controlling which information gets to which people. I should have followed my own advice and not posted there, because it's futile. However, we all know there are many people who either hate this place or don't acknowledge its existence, who come here to lurk. So whether Ophie likes it or not, the truth of the matter is out there now.
PZ's ridiculous and unfounded accusations about the car dealership pranks (if they happened) are the same story: all of us banned from commenting, and so he controls the narrative, false as it may be. Doesn't matter - he'll just keep repeating it, the commentariat will reinforce it, and his lies become "truth" in the FtB moroniverse.

36F to 38F for my 6-mile run this morning. Felt good at the time, but now the chill is kicking in. Hot shower time!

Altair

Post by Altair »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

(from OB's latest post on her acid tweet)
Jeremy Stangroom is persona non grata? When I read that quote I thought his name sounded familiar.
Is this the guy who wrote a couple books with Ophelia? The guy who "is also co-founder, with Ophelia Benson of the website 'Butterflies and Wheels'." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Stangroom)

I thought I knew the back story of almost all of this drama's characters, but how the hell did this guy enter the list of bad people, along with "evil names" like Justicar and Thunderfoot? I would have imagined he was Ophelia's friend.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:I'm a horrible person. Just now I noticed about Renee's husband. Sorry! :doh:

Happy thoughts to you and your husband, Renee. :romance-grouphug:
Nah - it's hard to keep up with this place sometimes. And thanks :)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Altair wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

Jeremy Stangroom is persona non grata? When I read that quote I thought his name sounded familiar.
Is this the guy who wrote a couple books with Ophelia? The guy who "is also co-founder, with Ophelia Benson of the website 'Butterflies and Wheels'." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Stangroom)

I thought I knew the back story of almost all of this drama's characters, but how the hell did this guy enter the list of bad people, along with "evil names" like Justicar and Thunderfoot? I would have imagined he was Ophelia's friend.
I believe Stangroom's status has been established due to the whole "Uglies v pretties" thing OB put up a few days back. She's quoted him as saying:
@PhilosophyExp I wonder if it’s a coincidence that many of the “chill girls” who are vilified (for no good reason) happen to be very attractive…

Altair

Post by Altair »

Karmakin wrote:Both the post and the tweet are both cut from the same cloth. Both are despicable, and both are making light of something horrific.
Agreed. I want my condemnation of both the tweet and the OP to be on the record. Even as a joke referring to a dermatologically-safe acid, it was in poor taste and and I would even say it sounded like a threat.
Maiming and disfiguring someone for life is a seriously, SERIOUSLY evil thing to do to another human being, and it should not be used as a threat, an insult or to score victim points (like Ophelia's original post).

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Dilurk wrote:For the last time. Ophelia has been threatened by what we would normally call a cosmetic.

No. In the context of the blog post OB wrote, he most assuredly did *not* mean a skin care product: "Maybe a vial of acid would do you some good. You already look like you were set on fire and put out with a wet rake.". *AFTER* he was called out on this, he stated he was talking about skin care products.
Ok, I missed that. It's even worse than I thought. Really despicable behaviour.
In any case, it was in no way a threat to OB but she sure is taking it and running with it. As is expected.
Not a realistic threat at all.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Last summer i had a sexy little intern in one of my teams, and she's returning to become a permanent member in the fall, which will give me lots of DOM leching opportunities.

Well, last night I was having teh sexeh dream about her - I got the old single-barreled, pump-action yoghurt rifle inside her, and was doing the necessary, but the fucker just would not go off... :-(

Still, at least I don't have to explain to the wife about sticky sheets.

Sigh, I'm getting old.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Speaking of total outrage, has anyone asked Rebecca Watson if Penny and Amy sexually assaulted Sheldon?

[spoiler][youtube]T3hpDB5JsTU[/youtube]
1 min. mark[/spoiler]

Or has the time for cheap attention from The Big Bang Theory passed?

Altair

Re: Misanthropic Bitch = Goddess

Post by Altair »

sacha wrote:and speaking of Misanthropy:
[spoiler]
I Respect Your Feelings as a Woman
"...Women are confused. They don't want sensitive men because they're too weak, but when men overpower them, they run to the police because they know that their power lies in manipulation. They're only independent, strong crusaders until the fist hits the face. It would be almost admirable if they were consciously playing both sides of the fence, but they lack the intelligence to do so.

Statistics show that women are just as likely to be the instigators of domestic violence as men, and if they don't directly cause the abuse session, they indirectly cause it by pushing buttons.

Women aren't timid, peace-loving creatures. In a female-dominated world, violence wouldn't be eradicated. Studies estimate the rate of domestic violence among lesbians is comparable to the rate of domestic violence among heterosexuals, showing that the warm embrace of a woman is often preceded by a right hook.

Women have become the sexually abused children of the '90s. No one doubted the "precious, innocent" children in the myriad sex abuse cases that rocked the '80s. Now, no one doubts women. If she says it was abuse, it was abuse. If she neglects to mention that she destroyed her boyfriend's vast pornography collection and tithed ten percent of his income to the Church, so much the better for the women's movement.

Women like a good fight but only on their conditions, and those conditions are rarely expressed to their partners. Emotions eventually take over. The novelty of a tough boyfriend wears off. She either expects him to change his ways - her ultimate goal, even though the reformed abuser will bore her to tears -- or he will pay the price. A whipped man is a man who garners no respect from his woman, but an aggressive man is a man who will awaken to find his bed engulfed in flames.

Men can't win. Here's a tube of AstroGlide. Use it, and save yourself the hassle of a relationship.

But men get off easy. They can go home at the end of the day, forget that real-life women exist, and jerk off into a sock to thoughts of acquiescent whores. I'm a woman, and the hypocrisy displayed by women affects my standing in the world. I can't avoid them. I can't ignore them.

While this attitude can be tolerated in the bedroom and home -- how Kristy treats her husband has little bearing on my life -- its spread to the real world marks trouble for the rare woman with a brain and a touch of sanity. (And perhaps, too much testosterone.)

If Kristy spends her evenings ridiculing her boyfriend's sexual prowess, boohoo for the emasculated shit, but unless his repressed anger manifests itself in a lunchtime shooting at the local Taco Bell, it won't affect me. When Kristy spends her evenings devising how she can force her company's insurance policy to cover costly infertility treatments, it doesn't bode well for women who just want a paycheck and not a company-sponsored designer baby.

Even Lifetime, the television station that bills itself as for women, frequently shows movies about insane, irrational women. Women who steal babies. Women who kill pregnant women, rip out their babies, and claim the infants as their own. Women who stalk their ex-husbands. Women who kill their ex-husbands and their ex-husbands' new wives. Women who can't have babies, go nuts and shoot elementary school students. Women who are depressed. Women who are depressed and suicidal. Women who are victims.

And that's the crux of the women's movement -- women are victims. They need help to become strong, and if they're not strong enough, they need protection.

Women claim that they want equality, but they still want to be coddled. They pout and stomp their feet when their boyfriends take too long to buy a $5000 diamong ring, but they cry out that they "don't need no man" when their boyfriends refuse to deal with an unexpected pregnancy.

Is it any wonder that men don't know what the fuck women are about?

Contrary to what directors of women's studies programs would have us believe, women are not tools of the patriarchy. Women are the patriarchy...
-Misanthropic Bitch (2001)

Rich White Girl Syndrome
"... The sufferer sees rape, sexual abuse and discrimination everywhere. If a woman doesn't buy into it, she's obviously not in touch with the feelings of her oppressed sisters. She's overprivileged. She's never experienced "real life." She's a lily-white fuck toy of the patriarchy.

Never mind that the chicks who cry loudest about that shit are overprivileged white ones. That's why it's so goddamn annoying because you know they're exaggerating an experimental fingering at a make-out party in the 7th grade to full-blown rape..."
[/spoiler]

Fuck, I miss her so
Those were awesome quotes, Sacha, thanks.
You might like http://judgybitch.com/, besides they having a similar name, their writing style and the topics they cover are similar as well.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Altair wrote:

I believe Stangroom's status has been established due to the whole "Uglies v pretties" thing OB put up a few days back. She's quoted him as saying:
@PhilosophyExp I wonder if it’s a coincidence that many of the “chill girls” who are vilified (for no good reason) happen to be very attractive…
No, Stangroom's Suppressive Person status goes back to the early days of the accomodationist wars.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:Last summer i had a sexy little intern in one of my teams, and she's returning to become a permanent member in the fall, which will give me lots of DOM leching opportunities.

Well, last night I was having teh sexeh dream about her - I got the old single-barreled, pump-action yoghurt rifle inside her, and was doing the necessary, but the fucker just would not go off... :-(

Sigh, I'm getting old.
I think that in order for a rifle to go off, it has to be loaded. Just sayin'.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I am absolutely dumbfounded. You mean the Baboons aren't saying that conlon's tweet was hyperbolic piss taking of her historical "what i suffer is as bad as an acid attack victim!" Madness. Well blow me down, who'd a thunk it.

Que more; woe is me! (Remember this is the moron, along with her sycophants who were talking about professional bodygaurd level protection, because one of her fans sent her a non threat that she tried really hard to find threatening).

Que from me; wise the fuck up, count me out of the disembowling of Conlon, i have found every "internet threat" from wow badger, julian, etc etc as threatening as this ( read not a threat ). But what i do find positively entertaining is their hypocrisy in relation to "threats".

cunt

Post by cunt »

Narrative under construction, PZ really is the master of it. Now that acid tweet was a serious threat, and not an ugly joke. It happened in isolation too, heavy implication that it was unprovoked. From this point on you'll never see a mention of Ophelia's original acid post, in which she tried to make an acid attack on an russian ballet director all about her. If someone ever mentions it, well - she was vindicated wasn't she? Sprinkle in a bit of guilt by association, Reap and Mykeru get a mention. Masterpiece.

The Barbara Drescher podcast was cool. Very interesting thoughts on the dangers of a narcissistic society.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Last summer i had a sexy little intern in one of my teams, and she's returning to become a permanent member in the fall, which will give me lots of DOM leching opportunities.

Sigh, I'm getting old.
I think that in order for a rifle to go off, it has to be loaded. Just sayin'.
It was! It went off while I was polishing it this morning.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ophelia shit-canned our comments without them seeing the light of day. Figures. And after she lamely tries to defend her OP, she starts the "pitters are dangerous!!!!111!" hysteria again:
But there is a background idea here, yes. It is that what the people engaged in this endless non-stop hate campaign are doing is dangerous. Not figuratively dangerous but literally dangerous. Yes, I am in fact afraid that they are going to get each other so worked up about us that one day someone will do something violent. Yes, that’s what I think. I think they’re playing with fire, and that we’re the ones who will be burned by the fire. I think it’s reckless and irresponsible to work up systematic hatred in this way. I think most of them are intelligent enough to realize that.

A couple of them turned up here to tell us that the people at the mildew pit are all very against this acid threat business. Apparently we’re supposed to be impressed. I’m not the least bit impressed. The acid threat is the direct result of their incitement.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424314

No, you stupid hysterical moron. It's not "hate" coming from us, and no one incites anyone to do anything here. Prove Conlon said what he said because the Slymepit exists. Give your evidence, instead of just smearing. Yeah, we know, you can't. You have nothing but propaganda, you never had anything else.

We are here solely to call you and your fellow thugs out in your lies, and laugh at you while doing so. The way you spin it, we're all sitting here daring each other to go on a rampage. How fucking foolish. Why don't you be honest for once in your life and just admit that there are people who disagree with you, rather than to try to portray everyone who doesn't suck up to you as a potentially dangerous psychopath teetering on the brink of a spree? Don't you understand that there are plenty of people on both sides of this chasm that are perfectly capable of thinking and researching for themselves, people who will see exactly the bullshit smear campaign you're trying to perpetrate here? You're sinking faster than a rock in a pond.

Fuck you, you lying fucking cunt.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

cunt wrote:Narrative under construction, PZ really is the master of it. Now that acid tweet was a serious threat, and not an ugly joke. It happened in isolation too, heavy implication that it was unprovoked. From this point on you'll never see a mention of Ophelia's original acid post, in which she tried to make an acid attack on an russian ballet director all about her. If someone ever mentions it, well - she was vindicated wasn't she? Sprinkle in a bit of guilt by association, Reap and Mykeru get a mention. Masterpiece.

The Barbara Drescher podcast was cool. Very interesting thoughts on the dangers of a narcissistic society.
At least franc can take heart that CK no longer reigns supreme in Poor OCC's List of Imagined and Imaginary Threat's. Unless, of course, he was planning to dip the old DMs in some acid before delivering the aforesaid punt.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lsuoma wrote: At least franc can take heart that CK no longer reigns supreme in Poor OCC's List of Imagined and Imaginary Threat's. Unless, of course, he was planning to dip the old DMs in some acid before delivering the aforesaid punt.
Just a punchline. I've gotten threats to kick me in the "cunt", to shoot me, to throw acid in my face. Bravely, I soldier on.

*wretches*

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby: she is despicable. To watch it happen right here, the lies, the misinformation. It's mind-boggling really.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

another lurker wrote:Gumby: she is despicable. To watch it happen right here, the lies, the misinformation. It's mind-boggling really.
I'll paraphrase what Welch said:

"You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, FeeFee? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Gumby wrote:[spoiler]Ophelia shit-canned our comments without them seeing the light of day. Figures. And after she lamely tries to defend her OP, she starts the "pitters are dangerous!!!!111!" hysteria again:
But there is a background idea here, yes. It is that what the people engaged in this endless non-stop hate campaign are doing is dangerous. Not figuratively dangerous but literally dangerous. Yes, I am in fact afraid that they are going to get each other so worked up about us that one day someone will do something violent. Yes, that’s what I think. I think they’re playing with fire, and that we’re the ones who will be burned by the fire. I think it’s reckless and irresponsible to work up systematic hatred in this way. I think most of them are intelligent enough to realize that.

A couple of them turned up here to tell us that the people at the mildew pit are all very against this acid threat business. Apparently we’re supposed to be impressed. I’m not the least bit impressed. The acid threat is the direct result of their incitement.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424314

No, you stupid hysterical moron. It's not "hate" coming from us, and no one incites anyone to do anything here. Prove Conlon said what he said because the Slymepit exists. Give your evidence, instead of just smearing. Yeah, we know, you can't. You have nothing but propaganda, you never had anything else.

We are here solely to call you and your fellow thugs out in your lies, and laugh at you while doing so. The way you spin it, we're all sitting here daring each other to go on a rampage. How fucking foolish. Why don't you be honest for once in your life and just admit that there are people who disagree with you, rather than to try to portray everyone who doesn't suck up to you as a potentially dangerous psychopath teetering on the brink of a spree? Don't you understand that there are plenty of people on both sides of this chasm that are perfectly capable of thinking and researching for themselves, people who will see exactly the bullshit smear campaign you're trying to perpetrate here? You're sinking faster than a rock in a pond.

Fuck you, you lying fucking cunt.[/spoiler]
They have no sense of personal accountability. The "threats and hatred" are coming entirely unprovoked. They've done absolutely nothing to inspire others to dislike them. They haven't demonized anyone else the way they claim others are doing to them. They haven't riled people up against others with, say, petitions to get them removed from their positions, or accusations of threatening behavior that results in people offering to retaliate with mafia style repercussions if in their area.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Now see if your allies agree with your action [apologising for the tweet]. Watch closely what happens next.
JTC if you're lurking. Yeah, I think you did the right thing there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Gumby wrote: we're all sitting here daring each other to go on a rampage... there are people who disagree with you, potentially dangerous psychopaths teetering on the brink of a spree...

Fuck you, you lying fucking cunt.
There, quotemined that for OB's convenience. No, don't thank me, I do what I can.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

PZ Myers wrote:That’s from some slymeguy named Jerry Conlon, and it’s chilling. Throwing acid at women who offend them…why, that’s what evil barbaric Muslims do!

Nope, now it’s what atheists threaten to do.
[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/JwT1cj6.jpg[/spoiler]

He's obviously referring to the tweet...you know, the one we're also pissed about. Of course, he doesn't mention this. Jerry Conlon has to be a slymepitter. Cause slymepitters are the enemy. But guess who does mention our distaste of the tweet:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Wrkz6T8.jpg[/spoiler]

So this is what we have now:

PZ: This guy is a slymepitter! They're all the same!
OB: Those other slymepitters don't like what this guy said, but who cares? It's still their fault!
PZ: No! They're all exactly like this guy! They all love it!

They can't even get their fucking story straight anymore :doh:

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Metalogic42 wrote: So this is what we have now:

PZ: This guy is a slymepitter! They're all the same!
OB: Those other slymepitters don't like what this guy said, but who cares? It's still their fault!
PZ: No! They're all exactly like this guy! They all love it!

They can't even get their fucking story straight anymore :doh:
Hahahahahahhahahaha. I've imagined that happening already. Looks like my prediction came true!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

*groan* Just watching the propaganda happen before my eyes is just making my head hurt. How can they possibly treat what Jerry said as a credible threat?

If you ever wonder why we call them professional victims, here's why.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Terrible tweet, apology was good idea, nothing at all to do with me.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Also, what is the lemon-faced prune talking about? Incitement?

You mean when you made light of someone getting acid thrown in their face and made it all about you, you crusty twat? Keep working that chapter from Goebbels, Benson. Jesus Christ.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

[spoiler]
Louis wrote:
I did something I very, VERY rarely do (because I’m not super interested in the hate campaign stuff, that is a reflection of my privilege I realise), I went over to the Slymepit for a look. I read a few pages of their new version of the endless ERV inspired thread (1 to 6, 20 to 30, and 68/69 IIRC) just to get a flavour of what they were about.

Okay, well not too many surprises, few more uses of certain words than would fly here, but that really is by the by, they’re not open to being convinced that language has the power it does, fine (unpleasant, but you know, in the grand scheme of things not the most serious crime ever). We know that already. I was pleased to note the general tone of reaction to this Jerry Conlon tweet (even though he was a very minor and rare slymepit poster who no one remembered, ostensibly at least) was disgust. Good on them for that.

Should I emphasise that last part so passing pitters note that an evil Pharynguloid credits them with some actual humanity?

I was less pleased to note the pretty standard rantings of Reap and people like that, the venom is impressive and well tolerated, even supported. That’s a bit sad really. The hate directed at PZ/Rebecca/Jen/Greta/Ophelia etc is pretty disgusting, can’t excuse it. I was really unimpressed by crowing over claimed profound “logical victories” which, in the couple of instances I saw linked to and subsequently read weren’t anything of the type, just more point missing, question begging, assumption laden crap. Which is dull. Voltaire’s “prayer” applies again I think.

I was actually shocked to see the minimising and point missing that went along with the condemnation of this tweet. A fair amount of “not-condemnation” went on, i.e. “this is disgusting, BUT it’s obviously only a joke” or “this is disgusting, BUT it’s just playing into Ophelia’s hands as a professional victim” and so on.

It’s all a bit disappointing really. I can’t muster enormous outrage because I don’t know these people, they just seem a bit crap. They don’t seem like the folks I’ve met at atheist/sceptic meet ups and what not, they don’t seem like any of my colleagues or friends. I guess I’m just lucky that I tend not to meet people who obsessively hatefap over the internet over mean women who won’t fuck them and mean people who won’t tolerate their bullshit. Hell, if I hated everyone who hadn’t tolerated my bullshit over the years I’d have no time for anything else!

Granted for PZ/Rebecca/Jen/Greta/Ophelia etc it’s an entirely different kettle of fish, and those people obviously have my sympathy. I find it really, really, REALLY hard to credit that this all kicked off pretty much just because some woman on the internet said “Guys, don’t do that”. Really? Seriously, really? THIS is what energises these people?

{sigh}

I have a tendency towards comic hyperbole. I love a good joke, me. I’m fond of over the top extreme comic pseudo threats like “I’ll tear your arm off and beat you to death with the wet end”. I’m just puerile enough to find them funny in the right context. And there, again, is the fucking cluebat. Context. It matters. I’ll tell you the wrong context, the context where it is really easily misunderstood: when there are lots of people pouring hate filled missives at someone and you are an additional unknown/pseudonymous person adding to the cacophony. THEN those sorts of “jokes” take a different sheen, an entirely different tenor. How the hell is Ophelia to know if this person is mucking about or unhinged? She’s not. Granted it’s more likely he’s being an obnoxious moron than anything else, and the likelihood of anything nasty actually happening is tiny, but really how can anyone tell?

And this is where I *can* muster some genuine outrage. I don’t know Ophelia, I’m pretty sure we’ve never met, I read her blog rarely and comment even more rarely. I’m sure someone will claim I (and people like me) are White Knighting, but really, we’re not. Ophelia’s sex is only relevant in the sense that women do get acid chucked in their face for being “uppity” in various ways. And many other things besides. This is not a context free comment. This tweet does not exist in a vacuum. It exists as part, a particularly obnoxious part, of a large amount of vitriol directed at Ophelia for a variety of reasons. Not the sexist comment about her looks, note the slymepitters referring to her by a looks based insult on their site on a regular basis. Is this the best they can do?

Fuck it, I’ve done similar things in my past (comments about Denyse O’Leary for example) and I feel like a knobhead for having made them (and I was!). My dumb comments about Denyse O’Leary’s looks weren’t a substitute for actually engaging with her IDCist arguments. I never wanted her to shut up and go away, in fact, just like I want with the slymepitters, I wanted her to keep talking. That way I never needed to lift a finger to make her look a fool. I would never consider hounding the poor woman with derogatory comments on her Twitter feed (if she even has one) I don’t in fact even give two shits about the dozy git! Her dozy arguments are the fun bit. Low bar cracks about her looks aren’t great wit. The idea that I’d make threats to her, or make comments that could reasonably be interpreted as threats, is laughable. Just who does that?

Oh wait, sexist shitheads do that. Right. Gotcha.

Sorry for the teal deer ramblings but urgh. Sorry.

Louis
[/spoiler]

Link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-539384

I've bolded certain parts of this comment that don't toe the party line. Anyone want to bet on how long it takes before he's memory holed?

Also, gonna requote one line in particular:
Should I emphasise that last part so passing pitters note that an evil Pharynguloid credits them with some actual humanity?
Yes, you should emphasize that last part - but direct it at your FTB "colleagues". They like to paint us as a hivemind, and in total opposition to them on everything. As you've seen, this isn't the case.

Louis, check out what someone said a few posts below yours:
juliewms wrote:PZ and other FtBloggers… it’s time to disengage from these people (Slymepitters, Reap Paden, Stefanelli, the haters, the negative posters, etc.) completely before someone is physically hurt because of the continuous arguing and posting online. It is obviously escalating, with the latest threat of an acid attack, and you all need to involve the authorities (law) at this point.
Think again about what you've read here. Can you really imagine us wanting to physically hurt the FTBers? If you've read as much of this thread as you claim, I bet not. This is why we're so (verbally) harsh toward PZ, OB, et al. Because they spread lies like this.