Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

Double wank and shit chips
Nec_V20

Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

Post by Nec_V20 »

I read a piece about George "Dubya" Bush showing his paintings and I thought (and please Godwin Lawists don't descend on me):

"What is the difference between George Bush and Adolph Hitler? Hitler was a painter before he became a war criminal".

I dipped my toe into the "PLUS ...............(nothing yet)................atheism" forum and managed - as an autistic person (Asperger's) - to be banned within 24 posts for believe it or not ABLEISM (go figure) for comments on a thread about autism.

Draw circle-bang head :)

BTW I am, and have been for many decades, an atheist - not so much the "+" any more though.

The first thing that irritated me about being called an "ableist" was that I misread the word as "atheist" and I had a WTF moment when reading the post trying to ascertain its meaning.

I then reread the post and saw that the person had indeed written the word "ableist" and not atheist and I had my second WTF moment. I was reading the word "ableist" as Abley-ist (pronounced as in "habla español") and thinking "this is not a fucking word".

It turns out that the term "ableism" (or as I am going to spell it from now on "able-ism" because the word as it is written still irritates the shit out of me) has been used although it has only been ambiguously defined. Notwithstanding this, the context in which the term "able-ism" has been formally used is societal or institutional and NOT with regard to an individual. You use words like "bigot" for that.

It is like referring to the rain going on outside your window as "climate" instead of "weather". It is one of the things as an autistic person that sets me off, when words are used inappropriately.

Then one of the "intellectual giants" on the forum described me as immoral which prompted this response from me:

"Immoral? Really? You do realise that this is the most potent accusation which can be levelled against a person. I mean you could have gone with a word like "reprehensible".

However you used the word "immoral"; so what would you call someone going into a Junior High School with an assault rifle and shooting up 20 or 30 little children? You have already blown the worst possible description i.e. "immoral" on me. What would be your escalation upon the word "immoral"? I am assuming of course that you don't think that anything I have written here on this forum is even remotely like shooting and killing 20 to 30 little kiddies.

I at least have an excuse - English is my second language - what's yours?

Don't piss on my back and try to tell me it's raining."

That was the reply that got me banned.

Would but Hitler had remained with painting, would but Dubya had discovered painting before he decided to run for president and would but some (many) in the atheist community had remained atheists instead of trying to emulate the institutional rites they purport to revile in the guise of "keeping the community safe".

Now any of you can go to the Atheism+ forum and look at the threads (search for "Nec_V20") and you can get back to me if you think I did anything to deserve a banning.

KiwiInOz

Re: Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

Post by KiwiInOz »

Here at the Slymepit the first thing you get told is to fuck off - it's far more efficient than having to craft 24 posts before being banned. Then give it back with both barrels and you'll be ok.

Some (with emphasis on some) serious discussion happens here, usually to do with bread, screwdrivers, or whether Travvon Martin should have reoccupied Gaza, but mainly it is a piss take.

Don't take yourself or anyone else here too seriously.

As to your question - no you did nothing ban worthy, however anything and everything is ban worthy at Atheism+.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

I'd love to say that I am one of those "turn the other cheek" kinds of people, but when I worked as NetAdmin I had a baseball bat above the door of the server room with "LART" printed on it in large letters and I had put some notches in it with "Kneecaps" and an arrow pointing to the notches in smaller print. That is not a joke bye the way.

As it turns out cats, dogs and computers like me and humans not so much; three out of four isn't bad.

An honest "fuck off" to my face I can deal with.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

24 posts is actually quite a lot at Atheism+ forum -- I think the record for fasted ban is three posts.

The difference between Bush and Hitler is, Hitler never mastered gouache.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:24 posts is actually quite a lot at Atheism+ forum -- I think the record for fasted ban is three posts.

The difference between Bush and Hitler is, Hitler never mastered gouache.
Bush could have mastered the mustache if only he had called on Vacula to advise him.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:24 posts is actually quite a lot at Atheism+ forum -- I think the record for fasted ban is three posts.
OK so now I just feel totally inadequate :D

Does that mean I am not good enough for here either? :(

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nec_V20 wrote:Does that mean I am not good enough for here either? :(
The Pit is the only exception to Groucho Marx' maxim: "any club that'd have me as a member, I wouldn't want to join."

I mean, c'om -- it's a pit. Of slime. Or so some say.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
You mean it is an adjunct of Faux News? :lol:

Dave

Post by Dave »

Nec_V20 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
You mean it is an adjunct of Faux News? :lol:
Nah. Were more of a "You Retort, We Deride" kinda place.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Nec_V20 wrote:
OK so now I just feel totally inadequate :D

Does that mean I am not good enough for here either? :(
I got banned from Atheism Plus forum after 16 posts there. The way things were going, I never would have made it to 24, so congratulations!

So far, A+ is the only forum from which I've ever been banned.

I keep trying & trying here but noone seems to be into banning. :( ;)

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Dave wrote:Nah. Were more of a "You Retort, We Deride" kinda place.
The word "Deride" reminded me of the saying, "It's lonely in the saddle since my horse died"

Now why did the horse die?

One reason could be that it was flogged to death.

This seems to be a common thread when one considers Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, PZ Myers, Richard Carrier etc. et al ad nauseam using atheism to do nothing but bash on about feminism.

I'm a bit in the same boat as my friend who went over to the United Arab Emirates to work as a telecom engineer and when he came back he said to me, "You know what, I wasn't a racist before I went over there, but I fucking well am now".

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was ever a feminist; however if being a feminist means supporting the likes of those I mentioned above, and supporting what they have said, then count me in the other camp. Well according to Richard Carrier I suppose I always was in the other camp, because he stated that if I were not for feminism then I would be against it even though, as an atheist and being autistic, I do have other issues - other than feminism that is - which I prioritise more highly.

To a certain extent they have turned my indifference or agnosticism towards feminism into informed antagonism.