Skyrim - Dawnguard

Double wank and shit chips
GenerallyFading

Skyrim - Dawnguard

Post by GenerallyFading »

I loved Skyrim when it came out, couldn't play enough. But I've now got two profiles I can't finish the game on, due to stuttering (it gets so bad, I think the game has crashed) on the PS3. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a bug patch (if there is one) without linking to the internet e.g. via the new game? My bf won't link ours to the internet because of viruses.

I'm rather a newbie when it comes to patches - I've bought all the major games after the bugs were mostly ironed out so I've never had to get one. I'm still playing "Morrowind" on the pc......But there must be experts here.

GrafVonBek

Re: Skyrim - Dawnguard

Post by GrafVonBek »

GenerallyFading wrote:I loved Skyrim when it came out, couldn't play enough. But I've now got two profiles I can't finish the game on, due to stuttering (it gets so bad, I think the game has crashed) on the PS3. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a bug patch (if there is one) without linking to the internet e.g. via the new game? My bf won't link ours to the internet because of viruses.

I'm rather a newbie when it comes to patches - I've bought all the major games after the bugs were mostly ironed out so I've never had to get one. I'm still playing "Morrowind" on the pc......But there must be experts here.
Short answer is no. The way the PS network is set up, the only way to get patches is via the ingame check during startup. Besides this, the 5(!) patches that have been released so far have only addressed minor issues with the lag/framerate problems and in some cases have actually made things worse. It's entirely Bethesdas fault as the game was clearly never playtested properly before release and optimised for PS3.

As far as viruses go, there is no way a standard (un-chipped) PS3 can be infected with viruses. Any software it downloads must come direct from Sony. Have a look here on the support site for more info http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/182-playstation-3/

Thats right, I'm a PS3 geek.

Hope that helps!

edit: Dawnguard isn't out for PS3 for a few weeks anyway. I would maybe wait a while after its release to iron out the problems that it will undoubtedly create.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

GrafVonBek wrote:
GenerallyFading wrote:I loved Skyrim when it came out, couldn't play enough. But I've now got two profiles I can't finish the game on, due to stuttering (it gets so bad, I think the game has crashed) on the PS3. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a bug patch (if there is one) without linking to the internet e.g. via the new game? My bf won't link ours to the internet because of viruses.

Short answer is no. The way the PS network is set up, the only way to get patches is via the ingame check during startup. Besides this, the 5(!) patches that have been released so far have only addressed minor issues with the lag/framerate problems and in some cases have actually made things worse. It's entirely Bethesdas fault as the game was clearly never playtested properly before release and optimised for PS3.

As far as viruses go, there is no way a standard (un-chipped) PS3 can be infected with viruses. Any software it downloads must come direct from Sony. Have a look here on the support site for more info http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/182-playstation-3/

Thats right, I'm a PS3 geek.

Hope that helps!

edit: Dawnguard isn't out for PS3 for a few weeks anyway. I would maybe wait a while after its release to iron out the problems that it will undoubtedly create.
After I got the newest patch for Skyrim, all my stuttering/framerate problems were fixed. Haven't had any issues since then. It did take a bit to download the patch and then it took a while to apply it, but I didn't go through the hoops that some were posting online (having to open the game, make a new save, etc).

GrafVonBek

Post by GrafVonBek »

It does seem to be a bit random from system to system. I've practically given up on it now. Its only playable for a couple of hours at most before freezing up. Meh, Morrowind was better anyway.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

GrafVonBek wrote:It does seem to be a bit random from system to system. I've practically given up on it now. Its only playable for a couple of hours at most before freezing up. Meh, Morrowind was better anyway.
Haven't played Morrowind - do most of my gaming on a console (the rest on iPad). I don't do much online now, but I want to get back into it with the new BF3 expansion (but I'm so tired from work I barely play now, but I will...). I have 160+ hours in Skyrim. Anybody on PS3 is welcome to look me up - same handle there as here. I try to be consistent. Just mention from where if anyone wants to play or just check out my boring life.

Git

Post by Git »

Badger3k wrote: Haven't played Morrowind.
Heretic.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

can we discuss Infocom stuff here too?

GenerallyFading

Lsuoma, we can discuss whatever you want, but I'm just not up on many things other than a select little number of games ("Plants vs Zombies" anyone?), so I probably won't have much to contribute. I'm sure others will have though!

Many thanks for the info - I have limited time right now as I'm supposed to be getting ready for work so I'll check in later, but wanted to say thanks for the replies.

Yeah, Morrowind - apart from the fact my PC keeps crashing and sometimes bodies fall into walls, I love it. Just got the Star of Azura so I'm having fun with that!

GenerallyFading

Ahh, OK - I think I'll just put the buying of Dawnguard on hold for a while. I mean, it'll be £40 I should think on release, so if I give it a while, that'll come down. And as you say, the bugs might be ironed out by then. 5 patches?!?!? I've missed news on at least 3 of them. I'll see if the bf is amenable to just linking to the Sony site or not.

I've always bought the major titles a LONG while after they've come out, I never see the point of "I must have that NOW!", with the exception of Skyrim and my bf got that on the day it was being sold at half price!

I don't tend to play PS3 though, although wev'e done the two Drakes' Fortune ones and will get the new one at some point. As a game, that hit all the right spots for me. We loved "Alice" for the look and the 'floating', but still haven't finished.

But I was most upset at the fact that I loved hunting wolves and digging for gold and everything else and not really getting on with the Skyirm story line and then finding that that probably cluttered up the saved game.

Anyway, thank you for all the help - knew that there were people here who could help :D

Gilmarvag

Spam

Post by Gilmarvag »

Last edited by Skep tickle on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Spam