Science Wonder Stories. Videos.

Double wank and shit chips
Aneris

Science Wonder Stories. Videos.

Post by Aneris »

http://i.imgur.com/xTMwEo7.jpg

This is a thread for videos that are informative or thought provoking. It includes documentaries, interviews, presentations, infotainment, debates, illustrated vblogging, talks on interesting subjects and so forth. Though I would keep other vblogging (someone talking random thoughts into a camera) to a bare minimum, especially video responses. Like with TED Talks or Upworthy videos, any topic is possible in principle, though it should generally be informative or thought provoking (no music videos, for example).

Discussion
Commentary and discussion go in here, while I would also recommend to leave a link to here in the Greater Undead One. Let's see if this works.

Posting Videos
It's not rocket surgery:
  • Please ALWAYS provide some additional information about the video, the title at least, to make it possible to search!
  • Please EMBED if possible, using the YouTube tag.
  • Please LINK to the video in addition (some devices don't show a clickable link in embedded videos), consider adding a link to playlists, youtube channel and what else could be useful.
  • If you are really a good, add some KEYWORDS or DESCRIPTION what the video is about, debate, documentary, interview etc. there is typically a description below the video, copy & paste that as a quote
That's it.

Aneris

Re: Science Wonder Stories. Videos.

Post by Aneris »

Let's begin with some obvious ones.

Richard Dawkins, Documentary

The God Delusion (~93mins, 2006)

[youtube]9FiHRVb_uE0[/youtube]
The Root of All Evil?, later retitled The God Delusion, is a television documentary written and presented by Richard Dawkins in which he argues that humanity would be better off without religion or belief in God.

The documentary was first broadcast in January 2006, in the form of two 45-minute episodes (excluding advertisement breaks), on Channel 4 in the UK.

Dawkins has said that the title The Root of All Evil? was not his preferred choice, but that Channel 4 had insisted on it to create controversy. The sole concession from the producers on the title was the addition of the question mark. Dawkins has stated that the notion of anything being the root of all evil is ridiculous. Dawkins' book The God Delusion, released in September 2006, goes on to examine the topics raised in the documentary in greater detail. The documentary was rebroadcast on the More4 channel on the 25th August 2010 under the title of The God Delusion. (Wikipedia)
Enemies of Reason (2007)
The Enemies of Reason is a two-part television documentary, written and presented by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, in which he seeks to expose "those areas of belief that exist without scientific proof, yet manage to hold the nation under their spell", including mediumship, acupuncture and psychokinesis
Part 1: Slaves to Superstition, documentary (~48mins)

[youtube]z1N1bGH1gb8[/youtube]
Dawkins points to some of science's achievements and describes it as freeing most people from superstition and dogma. Picking up from his superstition-reason distinction in The Root of All Evil? (while recycling some footage from it), he then says reason is facing an "epidemic of superstition" that "impoverishes our culture" and introduces gurus that persuade us "to run away from reality". He calls the present day dangerous times. He returns to science's achievements, including the fact that, by extending people's lifespan, it helps them to take more advantage of life. He turns his attention to astrology, which he criticizes for stereotyping without evidence. Having put astrology to the test and referred to larger-scale experiments, he then briefly describes the mechanics of astronomy, and then expresses frustration that 50% of the UK population -- more than are members of one religion -- believe in the paranormal.
Part 2: The Irrational Health Service, documentary (~48mins)

[youtube]VCbVAr3iGWo[/youtube]
Richard Dawkins examines the growing suspicion the public has for science-based medicine, despite its track record of successes like the germ theory of disease, vaccines, antibiotics and increased lifespan. He notes a fifth of British children are currently not immunised against measles, mumps and rubella, attributing it to fears arising from a highly controversial report linking the vaccine with autism.

Dawkins criticizes the growing field of alternative medicine which does not pass the same objective and statistical rigour as scientifically derived treatments using controlled double-blind studies. Without verifiable evidence, alternative therapies must rely on biased anecdotes and word of mouth to perpetuate. Dawkins observes these treatments have fanciful rationales and rituals behind them, with many alternative treatments employing pseudoscientific jargon such as "energy", "vibration" or "quantum theory" to give themselves greater credence to patients.

Aneris

Steven Pinker, The Stuff of Thought, Language, Swearing

Post by Aneris »

Steven Pinker, lecture, talk, animated
There might be some overlap, but they appear to be different talks given at different times.

Stuff of Thought / Language as a Window into Human Nature

Stuff of Thought (2007, ~60mins)

[youtube]U654Kw6oVA4[/youtube]
Steven Pinker talked about his book, The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature, published by Penguin. He talked about the relationship between language and the way we think, especially the use of profanity and what it says about us. Topics included the way the mind works, and the use of prepositions and tenses that tap into peculiarly human concepts about space and time. Mr. Pinker used slides throughout his presentation. This program contains language that some viewers may find offensive. The event was held in collaboration with the Smithsonian Resident Associates.
Language as a Window into Human Nature (2010)
For Steven Pinker, the brilliance of the mind lies in the way it uses just two processes to turn the finite building blocks of our language into infinite meanings. The first is metaphor: we take a concrete idea and use it as a stand-in for abstract thoughts. The second is combination: we combine ideas according to rules, like the syntactic rules of language, to create new thoughts out of old ones
Animated Excerpt (note full lecture below)

[youtube]3-son3EJTrU[/youtube]
In this new RSA Animate, renowned experimental psychologist Steven Pinker shows us how the mind turns the finite building blocks of language into infinite meanings. Taken from the RSA's free public events programme http://www.thersa.org/events.
Full Lecture

[youtube]5S1d3cNge24[/youtube]

The Language of Swearing (2008) Part 1, Part 2
Ever wondered when “kiss the cunt of a cow” was fashionable? In this lecture, Steven Pinker explains in some detail how swearing works.

[youtube]1BcdY_wSklo[/youtube]

[youtube]yyNmGHpL11Q[/youtube]

Description says it's taken from this interesting resource site:
http://thesciencenetwork.org/

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Another classic, Four Horsemen

Hitchens, Dennett, Dawkins, Harris (~120mins, 2007)
discussion, unedited

[youtube]rRLYL1Q9x9g[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aneris wrote:Another classic, Four Horsemen

Hitchens, Dennett, Dawkins, Harris (~120mins, 2007)
discussion, unedited

[footube]rRLYL1Q9x9g[/footube]
Stand back gentlemen!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Channel: Qualia Soup
http://i1.ytimg.com/i/c_xdkOBgSYLmXTn-VSQ4uA/mq1.jpg

An excellent channel worth checking out. I won't replicate the full list of videos here, just click on the icon above. Here are perhaps three representative works.

Critical Thinking (2009)
[youtube]6OLPL5p0fMg[/youtube]

Lack of Belief in Gods (2010)
[youtube]sNDZb0KtJDk[/youtube]

Superstition (2013)
[youtube]LWo3kTYb8W0[/youtube]

Aneris

TheraminTrees

Post by Aneris »

And this is AFAIK QualiaSoups brother, TheraminTrees. They have some videos together, too. More excellent videos on his channel (click on his channel image, as usual).

Channel: TheraminTrees
http://i1.ytimg.com/i/J-vHE5CrGaL_ITEg-n3OeA/mq1.jpg

Transactional Analysis Series
Psychology, Animated

This is the first part, all links to the other parts and appendices below

[youtube]nKNyFSLJy6o[/youtube]

Part 1: Ego States & Basic Transactions
Part 2: Games
Part 3: Gimmicks
Appendix I: YouTube Games
Appendix II: Religion the Bad Parent

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Conformity (~10mins, 2010)
Psychology, Animated

TheraminTrees illustrates a number of studies on conformity.

[youtube]TrNIuFrso8I[/youtube]

The Impossible Game (1:15mins, 2011)
Atheism, Animated

[youtube]Gcw1YEtTQCw[/youtube]

Death (2012), Part I, Part II
Atheism, Animated, Environmentalism

[youtube]syNVg8V4EQU[/youtube]

[youtube]RBEE8Yfr3AM[/youtube]

Aneris

Open University

Post by Aneris »

Watch out for that man with the enormous axe!

The first two are by Open University

The History of English in 10 Minutes
History, Animated, Humour

It's awesome, just watch it already.

[youtube]rexKqvgPVuA[/youtube]

Six famous thought experiments explained quickly
History, Humour

[youtube]QNVd1yeuvzk[/youtube]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Somewhat similar in style, videos by the user C.G.P Grey. His main interest seems to be history and countries. I just found it, and just picked three that seem interesting. Check out his channel.

http://i1.ytimg.com/i/2C_jShtL725hvbm1a ... g?v=d35e11

5 Historical Misconceptions Rundown (2012)
History

[youtube]sYzfKiIWN4g[/youtube]

The European Union Explained (2013)
Geography, Politics

[youtube]O37yJBFRrfg[/youtube]

What are Continents? (4mins, 2011)
Geography, Culture

[youtube]3uBcq1x7P34[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Channel: CoolHardLogic
http://i1.ytimg.com/i/x3s3t5kpD4VMfJjDi5keXw/mq1.jpg

CoolHardLogic presents his videos so far in a debunking style with lots of excellent animations, wit and science to follow along. His debunking videos are named Testing X, and it currently covers three topics, Doomsday Predictions (1 Part), Geocentrism (6 parts) and Homeopathy (3 parts). I will each embed the first part, check out the channel in the future to see what he added.

Testing Geocentrism (2012)
Science, Astronomy, Debunking, Animated, some history

Combatting geocentrism might be not be a pressing matter, though he uses it expertly to explain lots of solar system astronomy in interesting ways and unless you're an expert already, certainly worth watching. Includes even the maths (in a good way)

[youtube]wyRJZbNmC7U[/youtube]

Part 1 (embedded above)
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Testing 2012's Doomsday Predictions
Culture, History, Superstitions

[youtube]JBAY_dIVd-A[/youtube]

Testing Homeopathy (2013)
Science, Medicine, some history

[youtube]6dFYfeADX7g[/youtube]

Part 1: Plausbility
Part 2: (becoming a homeopath vs physician)
Part 3: Research Evidence?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Revisionaries

http://www.therevisionariesmovie.com/

Documents the efforts of the Texas State School Board to expunge evolution and sound science from textbooks. (TX heavily influences the content of all textbooks produced for the entire US.)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Channel: Alley43

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7kTW ... /photo.jpg

In this series An Atheist Reads the Bible (Playlist), Alley43 discusses the morals of the Bible. What sounds potentially dull is presented in a very entertaining way, yet still packed with facts. He often contextualizes very well with other myths, or modern day examples, sometimes builts the whole episode around it (like Jesus vs. Kim Jong II). I found it a very interesting balance. The animations are simple, yet illustrative. As another nice twist, each part's is co-narrated by another “YouTube Personalities”, starting with NonStampCollector. Speaking of which, Alley43 also has a shorter series of simply illustrated comedy routines currently two by Eddy Izzard and one by Louis CK.

[youtube]sBMWfEfzXJo[/youtube]

[youtube]w-B57-7NBOM[/youtube]

Part 01 — Trailer (embeded above)
Part 02 — Lot’s Daugthers, embedded above
Part 03 — Sticks & Stone
Part 04 — Jephtah
Part 05 — Slavery in the Bible
Part 06 — Which Ten Commandments?
Part 07 — The Evolution of Jesus in the Bible
Part 08 — David’s SINsus
Part 09 — The Evolution of Satan in the Bible
Part 10 — The Unrelable Birth Story of Jesus
Part 11 — CSI Old Testament
Part 12 — Wet Dreams May Come True (in the Bible)
Part 13 — Biblical Marriage, Rape Your Way In, Stone Your Way Out
Part 14 — Jesus or Kim Jong II: Who is more ridiculous?
Part 15 — Realizing Hell Doesn’t Exist

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I wanted to keep a good mix of known and unknown videos and channels. It is now time for Thunderf00t, who is well known in the Atheist Skeptics community and probably doesn't need any introduction.

Channel: Thunderf00t
http://i1.ytimg.com/i/mb8hO2ilV9vRa8cilis88A/mq1.jpg

He is probably most famous for the extensive Why Do People Laugh At Creationists? which is currently nearing it's 40th part and apparently still ongoing. It could be regarded as one of the pioneering series of the debunking style which takes claims of some other group (such as Creationists), for ridicule as well as illustrating actual science. Thunderf00t was perhaps inspired, ironically, by early PZ Myers and was once invited to blog on FreeThoughtBlogs (FTB). However, he got caught up in the unfolding drama sparked by Elevatorgate, was removed from FTB again, and it left a visible mark on his work ever since such as his series Why Feminism is Poising Atheism, detailling his views on the matter.

However, Thunderf00t made videos on a large number of topics where he captures the Wonder of Science that perhaps often get overlooked, from chemistry to astronomy. For example the series on life:

Some AMAZING facts about life!

[youtube]eCXbSJsbSYU[/youtube]

Some AMAZING facts about life! (Part II)
Some AMAZING facts about life! (Part III)

And here are the first two from Thunderf00t's own Best Of list.

[youtube]o_EBqZPCZdw[/youtube]

[youtube]rhPJHfR3Pco[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

A recent find, the channel of ...

Baud2Bits
http://i1.ytimg.com/i/Qqf9imhWsihMv8PLZ ... v=51cb0f05

I have only seen a couple of videos from this channel, and he seems to have a treasure trove of stuff to discover, so far he seems to have a penchant for geology, with perhaps some science history. His videos are, like the videos of CoolHardLogic in the "debunking style", but relies significantly less on it. It is more of an anchor point instead of a recurring motif. Here are three that show a little bit of range.

Pouring Salt On Creationists Wounds
[youtube]HXtZD-vPMZg[/youtube]

Answers in Genesis Busted -- Coral Reefs
[youtube]QodYHcZNF5I[/youtube]

How To Convert An Atheist - Irrefutable Evidence
[youtube]RX8VKmsu9q8[/youtube]

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

This are great, Aneris!
Hours and hours of entertaining, interesting things.

Have any particular selections from Mr. Deity you like?

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

http://www.youtube.com/user/ozmoroid/
I was going to recommend Ozmoroid... but he seems to have moved the bulk of his science videos to the channel viascience. Mostly videos dealing with relativity.

What he has left (missing more than the relativity videos) on his Ozmoroid channel is a few videos about asteroids.
[youtube]gaF1Tr7nZ_s[/youtube]
[youtube]sZz9r7btrX8[/youtube]

And don't forget when he and NephilimFree solves the energy crisis.
[youtube]RAb1u-5k3JU[/youtube]

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

http://www.youtube.com/user/CollegeBinary

Home of 3 Minute Philosophy!
[youtube]I2r1KaB15ck[/youtube]
[youtube]qNjmPyHIoOc[/youtube]
[youtube]xwOCmJevigw[/youtube]

You get the idea. Fast, fun, and informative!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

zenbabe wrote:This are great, Aneris!
Hours and hours of entertaining, interesting things.

Have any particular selections from Mr. Deity you like?
I have seen them and found them all very good, I'll make a collection. :)

Thanks, @spiffigt and feralandproud. Looks interesting!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

For now, I really want to do something on Prof. Robert Sapolsky. Reason: sheer awesomesauce. I especially love his non-categorical approach. It can't get stressed strong enough.

Let's begin a short one as an introduction. The next one is already a full lecture, and the third one the first of a whole series of lectures. And then there is more on YouTube.

How a Chair Revealed the Type A Personality Profile
[youtube]JVxfcE4F9Xo[/youtube]

Biological Underpinnings of Religiosity
Prof. Robert Sapolsky on, the title says it. Exploring how some diseases or conditions in the right conditions could have given rise to religious beliefs, in particular Tay-Sachs-Disease, Shizytypo and OCD.

[youtube]4WwAQqWUkpI[/youtube]

Human Behavioral Biology
The entire playlist, and part one (it's not possible to embedd a video with playlist attached, just click on the link if you like this one. An easy overview without that YouTube mess can be found here.

[youtube]NNnIGh9g6fA[/youtube]

Ah, if you like the stuff, everything is worth watching, and here is more of that stuff.

SemoKeryVerry9

Spam

Post by SemoKeryVerry9 »

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Potholer is a well established youtuber with remarkebale ~85k subscribers. He is a former science journalist with a degree in geology, though that isn't what his channel is about. He promotes skepticism (go to the sources, etc) and has some very good series' on various topics, in paricular the one on Climate Change Explained (and myths debunked) is excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54/playlists

As a good starter, I recommend this three video series on Science and Journalism.

Part 1-- TV tricks of the trade -- Quotes and cutaways
[youtube]07NMglQX6gE[/youtube]

Part 2 -- TV Tricks of the Trade -- UK and Ireland version

[youtube]TH_9QcMCkvg[/youtube]

Part 3 -- Why the media screw up science Part 1: Sources

[youtube]LdnZ1l5TxJk[/youtube]

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

Excavating the empty tomb by TruthSurge
First part:
[youtube]4jOzCMy9e5E[/youtube]
This video series tries to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) the resurrection of Jesus never occurred. It's almost 40 separate videos.
As you can guess, from the length, it covers a lot of stuff. Like, the resurrection narrative in Mark was a later addition. Why are there so much boating in Mark? How come there are no mentions, outside the bible, of when the dead walked the streets of Jerusalem? Why were there no grave veneration until several hundred years after Jesus died?
Anyways, I like this series a lot and hope you will too. He also has a great narrators voice IMHO.

Link to complete playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9D194384D2

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

There is a very credible case to be made that L. Ron Hubbard did not write Dianetics (precursor to Scientology) but rather that it was written by John W. Campbell Jr.

Dianetics was originally published in Astounding Science Fiction Magazine of which John W. Campbell Jr. was not only the editor but also renowned for his hands on approach with regard to completely rewriting stories which he liked the premise brought to him by authors. This propensity for interference caused many giants of the science fiction field of the time such as Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein to refuse to contribute stories to Campbell.

The original draft of Dianetics was written by l. Ron Hubbard, however the skeleton had the flesh put on it by Campbell ("edited" in Campbell terms meant complete rewrites in many cases). It is even probable that Campbell suggested the broad framework to Hubbard in the first place.

L. Ron Hubbard was considered by his peers to be a very poor author at best. He did hang around with the "in" crowd of the time, such as Robert A. Heinlein, but was more the party clown than the party intellectual.

Campbell turned away from "whiz-bang" science fiction and demanded stories which dealt with inner space (the mind) rather than outer space. This reflects a general horror of the use of technology in World War II. After the dropping of the atomic bomb and the devastation it wreaked the "taming of atomics" which had been the staple of may science fiction stories fell into disfavour, not only from Campbell but from the general reading populous.

The circles in which Astounding was read can be summed up anecdotally from the introduction Isaac Asimov wrote about his story "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline".

Asimov was worried about his Ph.D. examining committee’s attitude towards a science fiction story, Asimov asked his publisher to use a pseudonym. He thought he might not get his degree if his committee thought he was making fun of their research. Despite his request, the story was published with Asimov’s name attached.

The story was a success, and almost every chemist at Cornell University, including those in his department, read it. It even came up at his Ph.D. defence. Thankfully, his committee liked the story, and grilled him humorously about it before his defense was complete.

Before "Dianetics" Hubbard was having great difficulty selling his pulp calibre science fiction because of the intellectual sophistication of the audience.

Campbell was a great supporter of Scientology and this helped Hubbard make true on his statement "If you really want to make money then you have to start a religion".