Videogames

Double wank and shit chips
Pitchguest

Re: Videogames

Post by Pitchguest »

Gumby wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:I just pre-ordered The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing so that I can try out the beta when I get home tonight. Looks like a fun Diablo clone. Yeah, I know, stupid to pre-order, but it was $15 so eh. I'll take a chance. And it's released for real next week. I like the look of it:

http://game-smack.net/wp-content/upload ... sing_5.jpg

The reason I found it in the first place was that I got a hankering for something Diablo-esque after trying the open beta of Marvel Heroes last weekend, and that one isn't released until the start of June. Maybe not the deepest gameplay, but you can play as Rocket Raccoon, so… That one is an MMO (although barely, it seems) and will be free to play (you can pay to unlock specific characters and costumes, but they will drop randomly in-game as well), so if anyone feels like a super-hero team-up send me a PM or something.
I used to be a Diablo 2 addict back in the day. To this day, when I think of that game, my mouse-clicking finger starts to ache.
Me too. I remember back when I first started playing D2, I struggled getting past Baal in Nightmare. Then again, I didn't have a steady connection to keep playing consistently online. Sure, I could play on my own, but where's the fun in that?

Anyway, I went back to it like a year before the release of D3, and... hmm... someone in the lobby suggested a give-away server (people give away stuff for free) and I went to one. After about ten of these, I had a full set of Barb and Sorc gear and a dozen enigmas. Guess who was facerolling Baal in Hell a few days later. Heh.

Adventures of Van Helsing looks promising. Was it any good, Ted?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Pitchguest wrote:
Gumby wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:I just pre-ordered The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing so that I can try out the beta when I get home tonight. Looks like a fun Diablo clone. Yeah, I know, stupid to pre-order, but it was $15 so eh. I'll take a chance. And it's released for real next week. I like the look of it:

http://game-smack.net/wp-content/upload ... sing_5.jpg

The reason I found it in the first place was that I got a hankering for something Diablo-esque after trying the open beta of Marvel Heroes last weekend, and that one isn't released until the start of June. Maybe not the deepest gameplay, but you can play as Rocket Raccoon, so… That one is an MMO (although barely, it seems) and will be free to play (you can pay to unlock specific characters and costumes, but they will drop randomly in-game as well), so if anyone feels like a super-hero team-up send me a PM or something.
I used to be a Diablo 2 addict back in the day. To this day, when I think of that game, my mouse-clicking finger starts to ache.
Me too. I remember back when I first started playing D2, I struggled getting past Baal in Nightmare. Then again, I didn't have a steady connection to keep playing consistently online. Sure, I could play on my own, but where's the fun in that?

Anyway, I went back to it like a year before the release of D3, and... hmm... someone in the lobby suggested a give-away server (people give away stuff for free) and I went to one. After about ten of these, I had a full set of Barb and Sorc gear and a dozen enigmas. Guess who was facerolling Baal in Hell a few days later. Heh.

Adventures of Van Helsing looks promising. Was it any good, Ted?
I'm liking it so far, a few hours in. It doesn't quite offer the variety of a Diablo or Torchlight since you are always playing as the titular character, but you can choose to focus on melee (swords) or ranged (pistols and rifles). You always have a ghost companion with you who will fight alongside you as well as provide passive bonuses. She levels up independently and you can choose her focus as well. The loot is not quite as varied as in other Diablo clones, but on the other hand all of it is useable by your character.

I also like the world it's set in, where every mythological or supernatural being you can think of seems to be real. The game takes place in Borgovia, which is basically Transylvania in all but name. The creatures I've encountered so far have all had a definite eastern european flavour to them consistent with the game's setting. It also has a sense of humour that I appreciate. Two early examples are the two-headed cow which says "moo" rather than mooing, and the madman who claims to be watched from above and poked. It has that thing I loved in Warcraft/Starcraft where it's worth clicking on a character over and over to hear their dialogue. In other words, the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Just seriously enough.

TL;DR: If you like this style of game, it's definitely worth playing if only for the novel setting. It's also cheap.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

cunt wrote:Also, I traded in 3 single player games that I was totally done with this afternoon and picked up Bioshock Infinite basically as a bonus game. I really, really like being able to do that.
I don't trade games in, but I do like being able to buy used games that are no longer available new. Really, I prefer buying games new, but that's not always possible for older games. A system not allowing me that option is a system I'm considerably less interested in.

cunt

Post by cunt »

TedDahlberg wrote:
cunt wrote:Also, I traded in 3 single player games that I was totally done with this afternoon and picked up Bioshock Infinite basically as a bonus game. I really, really like being able to do that.
I don't trade games in, but I do like being able to buy used games that are no longer available new. Really, I prefer buying games new, but that's not always possible for older games. A system not allowing me that option is a system I'm considerably less interested in.
I'd have a slight bit of sympathy for the argument if these were indie developers being ripped off to the point that they're not able to get their games out. It's not though, it's a few giant, hugely profitable corporations pushing this stuff. Not because they're suffering, but because they're incredibly greedy cunts. Fuck, could you imagine buying a guitar, selling it and your buyer having to pay a fee to Fender?

At this point, i've pretty much decided the xbox one can go fuck itself.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

cunt wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
I'd have a slight bit of sympathy for the argument if these were indie developers being ripped off to the point that they're not able to get their games out. It's not though, it's a few giant, hugely profitable corporations pushing this stuff. Not because they're suffering, but because they're incredibly greedy cunts. Fuck, could you imagine buying a guitar, selling it and your buyer having to pay a fee to Fender?

At this point, i've pretty much decided the xbox one can go fuck itself.
Yup, pretty much. And the thing about indie games is that they tend to keep being available (on the PC at least), and for a reasonable price. Looking at what I have installed right now, the games that I've enjoyed the most are things like Kerbal Space Program, Terraria, Castle Story (all right… that one's more "expect to enjoy when it's finished"), FTL, Prison Architect… That's not to say I don't enjoy games from the bigger publishers (I hope to be playing Marvel Heroes this weekend), but if they make me choose through the shitty way they treat consumers, it's no choice at all.

Besides, Shadowrun Returns should be coming out in the next few weeks. I don't anticipate needing another game ever again. I might have too high expectations. But probably not.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Yeah, the Xbone is not gonna happen for us, even if we get a freebie (which is generally likely).

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I really dislike this new trend of media being un-ownable. Even though Nintendo is a lap behind everyone else, at least I know I can buy a used version of ZombiU.
I wouldn't want to, but it's good to have options.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... 5small.jpg

My Rocket Raccoon delivering the killing blow to Doc Ock in Marvel Heroes. From behind, as befits a dirty slymepitter.

http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... 8small.jpg

Posing for a picture with Doctor Strange in Avengers Tower. Alas, Doctor Strange is not a playable character. If he were, there would be no raccoon in these pictures.

Post by Guest »

TedDahlberg wrote:Shadowrun Returns should be coming out in the next few weeks. I don't anticipate needing another game ever again. I might have too high expectations. But probably not.
I'm glad I didn't donate to that Kickstarter. The way things have developed has affirmed my decision. They're reneging on or weaseling out of promises they made during their campaign, and some of their design decisions (looting, for one) have been downright bizarre.

Cyberpunk 2070 will be amazing, however.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

With summertime and XBOX 360 game prices dropping post X1 reveal I've picked out a few oldies to play.

I made the mistake of going with fallout 3. Despite all the zombie games and movies I have consumed those goddamn feral ghouls scare the shit out of me /confession

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Guest wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Shadowrun Returns should be coming out in the next few weeks. I don't anticipate needing another game ever again. I might have too high expectations. But probably not.
I'm glad I didn't donate to that Kickstarter. The way things have developed has affirmed my decision. They're reneging on or weaseling out of promises they made during their campaign, and some of their design decisions (looting, for one) have been downright bizarre.

Cyberpunk 2070 will be amazing, however.
I'm not a backer either so I'm coming to the game from the perspective of someone without any back story with it other than what little I've seen of it. Which is basically their website and that twenty minute video of alpha game play. So I've never been aware of features being cut, for instance. I also would have chosen a Steam version of the game over a DRM free copy if there had been a choice (and as far as I understand the DRM in this game - in the form of Steam - is a requirement in their license to make it; the backers are only getting DRM-free copies because Harebrained Schemes could negotiate a narrow exception). In that light, the game looks great. It might not be exactly what some of the original backers wanted, but it's looking quite a lot like exactly what I want. Not least the editor, which I'm very much looking forward to playing with.

I think it's an interesting question what one can expect from a kickstarted game. On one hand, yes, people should get what was promised. On the other, it doesn't seem unreasonable for things to change during development. A feature which seemed good in theory might not work out as intended in practice. If that's the case, I think I'd rather see it go than be kept (and be detrimental to the game) for the sake of a promise. It's definitely tricky. I think developers perhaps need to be more clear that their games are work in progress and subject to change when necessary.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

skepandsprinkles wrote:With summertime and XBOX 360 game prices dropping post X1 reveal I've picked out a few oldies to play.

I made the mistake of going with fallout 3. Despite all the zombie games and movies I have consumed those goddamn feral ghouls scare the shit out of me /confession
I found the "vampires" living in a train station incredibly creepy.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Or the house in the Minefield that contains crutches and a medical brace with the two scorched skeletons. It's pretty fucking depressing and beats the baby skull in Fable II.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

So... I'm not getting one of these then. Xbox One Launches In November For $500/€500/£429. Not sure if tax is supposed to be included in the european price, but if not that is outright insulting compared to the dollar price. The pound/euro price is approximately $660.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I'm just going to leave this here:
[youtube]qpvdKREKZMs[/youtube]

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

I watched the SCEA presentation at E3 live via streaming, their entire process of sticking it to Xbone was hilarious. Also, Squeenix managed to both make me super happy and super disappointed in their segment. Pumped about Kingdom Hearts 3 but bummed that XII versus morphed into FFXV, was hoping they'd move away from that style, but it might be time for me to bid the series farewell. Hopefully I'm wrong about it, but as pretty as it is, I hated XIII's gameplay style, it doesn't look like it's changed.

Also, this is amazing.
[youtube]lBoL1Ic9uWw[/youtube]

cunt

Post by cunt »

Voryn wrote:I watched the SCEA presentation at E3 live via streaming, their entire process of sticking it to Xbone was hilarious. Also, Squeenix managed to both make me super happy and super disappointed in their segment. Pumped about Kingdom Hearts 3 but bummed that XII versus morphed into FFXV, was hoping they'd move away from that style, but it might be time for me to bid the series farewell. Hopefully I'm wrong about it, but as pretty as it is, I hated XIII's gameplay style, it doesn't look like it's changed.

Also, this is amazing.
This very almost, for a brief second, made me want to get a Wii U.

daisyw

Post by daisyw »

I've been playing Half-Life 2 via Steam on my new iMac lately and I am having tons of fun while playing it. Valve knows how to make a fun game.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Voryn wrote:I watched the SCEA presentation at E3 live via streaming, their entire process of sticking it to Xbone was hilarious. Also, Squeenix managed to both make me super happy and super disappointed in their segment. Pumped about Kingdom Hearts 3 but bummed that XII versus morphed into FFXV, was hoping they'd move away from that style, but it might be time for me to bid the series farewell. Hopefully I'm wrong about it, but as pretty as it is, I hated XIII's gameplay style, it doesn't look like it's changed.

Also, this is amazing.
THIS is amazing.
[youtube]JmCVzjGVFy4[/youtube]

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

AspieAtheist wrote:I've been playing Half-Life 2 via Steam on my new iMac lately and I am having tons of fun while playing it. Valve knows how to make a fun game.
Gabe Newell lore:
[youtube]bh1-4oZVxoo[/youtube]
Now if only he knew how to count to 3.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Pitchguest wrote:

Also, this is amazing.
THIS is amazing.
[youtube]JmCVzjGVFy4[/youtube]

Mega Man is pretty awesome too, and if I ever purchase this game I look forward to yoga-thigh-flexing him to his doom! :dance:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Badger. If you're deciding betwixt Braid and Limbo go Braid because it's just pure art.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

TedDahlberg wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:With summertime and XBOX 360 game prices dropping post X1 reveal I've picked out a few oldies to play.

Walking around the grimdark Space Museum and having super mutants screaming out every two seconds scared the crap out of me.
Highlight of the game was going into Tenpenny Tower and throwing the old bastard off the balcony.

Have you played Fallout New Vegas?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:

Walking around the grimdark Space Museum and having super mutants screaming out every two seconds scared the crap out of me.
Highlight of the game was going into Tenpenny Tower and throwing the old bastard off the balcony.

I tried about an hour of it once, and have been meaning to play it properly since then. I've had it for ages, so I can only claim insanity as the reason I haven't yet.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:

I tried about an hour of it once, and have been meaning to play it properly since then. I've had it for ages, so I can only claim insanity as the reason I haven't yet.
The DLC is fantastic. While the super-science retro-50s one is a lot of fun, especially the big brains (their interactions and attitudes are priceless) - can't remember the name - the one with the mist is really creepy and gets to you. I went in fairly high level and I still struggled for a bit. I just wish I could have carried more out with me. Haven't played in ages, though - with all the DLC and everything I've done, I get the slow-downs that people had with Skyrim, but they hadn't fixed that as far as I know. Not sure why.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Now this looks intriguing...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07 ... incognita/

Apparently it's a tactical, turn-based espionage game, inspired by XCOM, but with spies and sneakiness instead of aliens and big fuck off plasma cannons.

Definitely looks intriguing.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

SenorBeagle wrote:Now this looks intriguing...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07 ... incognita/

Apparently it's a tactical, turn-based espionage game, inspired by XCOM, but with spies and sneakiness instead of aliens and big fuck off plasma cannons.

Definitely looks intriguing.
Ooh :) Will definitely be keeping an eye on that.

And speaking of those developers, I tried Don't Starve the other week. It was going really well. Hell, I got to a point where I found a good spot close to various resources and started building walls and everything. And then one night a tree came alive and killed me.

I will go back to it sometime. I'm just not ready right now :shock:

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

And by the way, for anyone who has missed it, Green Man Gaming is having a six day sale with (so far) some great stuff in it. Their servers got hammered the first day, to the point where a lot of people couldn't complete purchases (I didn't get a copy of the latest Worms game, grr) but that seems to have been fixed now. Last night I bought both Batman Arkham games for £7.50. And most of the games activate on Steam. Which I personally prefer, I know opinions vary.

Anyway, they have six games for sale at a time, and switch them every six hours.

This also happens to be the first week of my vacation, so I've got nothing better to do :shifty:

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Heh, aye, me mate was playing Don't Starve, too; she got to nightfall without a campsite, and decided the best course of action was to light the ENTIRE forest on fire.

And it actually worked.

I'd have a look at the Green Man Gaming sale if I had the coin to afford anything, or a PC that could run the feckers. Sure, I will have a PC that can run 'em before the end of the month, but that's kiiiinda why I don't have the coin to afford anything to actually play on it.

Ne'er mind, eh, I can finally play the copy of Half-Life 2 I got gifted over Steam 3 years ago... :P

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Some people just want to see the world burn :lol:

The sales are dangerous indeed, and there's a good chance the Steam sale will start tonight. I thought I saw my wallet quiver earlier.

New PC; do tell.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Well, I'd priced up a Cyberpower Ultra Scylla SE. Decent mid-range rig for a shockingly good price.

It seems like it was TOO shockingly good a price; I've looked at it today, and it's £108 more than it was last week.

THAT is annoying...

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread;
CUBE WORLD!
https://picroma.com/

They released the alpha for purchase on Tuesday. Currently the registration is disabled, but once it's up.. oh man.. It looks like a cross between Minecraft and 3D dot heroes. Could be fun for those interested in this sort of thang.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Voryn wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread;
CUBE WORLD!
https://picroma.com/

They released the alpha for purchase on Tuesday. Currently the registration is disabled, but once it's up.. oh man.. It looks like a cross between Minecraft and 3D dot heroes. Could be fun for those interested in this sort of thang.
Finally managed to register, and have just spent half an hour with it. Seems damn fun. In my short time I killed a witch, a pig and a couple of goblins or something (the pig didn't really have it coming, I just got carried away), explored a town, and finally got killed by three orcs, after first killing two of them. Really nice style for a "cube" game, and I'm always a sucker for procedurally generated worlds. For a game in alpha (it says it's version 0.0.1) it looks and plays amazing. More 3D Dot Heroes than Minecraft, but to me that's entirely a good thing.

I'm usually allergic to multiplayer, but this definitely seems like it would be more fun playing with others. Up to four players currently. Would anyone here be up for that? I could see about setting up a server.

http://i.imgur.com/1kjvtGn.png

http://i.imgur.com/nmaY8nM.png

daisyw

Post by daisyw »

Oh, and does anyone know of any good horror themed mods for Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 or Half-Life 2: Episode 2?

And Killing Floor is a whole lot of fun to play.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Finally got involved in those annoying FB games - stuck on candy crush and a couple of others since I can't open them up (and don't want to pay). Now involved in the Age of Empires type games (total domination, stormfall, and Pirates), plus the space game VEGA. If anyone plays those let me know and I'll send a friends request - always looking for support (since those games rewards you if friends play).

Yalpsoc

Post by Yalpsoc »

this is a good game.

Stunt Whisper

Post by Stunt Whisper »

Been doing the beta for Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. It's not bad for drop in drop out gaming. Game play is like very similar to Diablo, but a lot simpler.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

So, Saints Row IV on Friday. Anyone else going to play it? I've got it pre-loaded on Steam. And I never did finish the Third, so I've been playing through that the past few days, don't think I'm too far from the end now. I'd forgotten just how much fun it is. You'd think being nigh-immortal and way overpowered would get dull quickly, but apparently not. I guess it's the simple pleasures that do it, like phoning for a VTOL instead of driving to the next mission.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

TedDahlberg wrote:So, Saints Row IV on Friday. Anyone else going to play it? I've got it pre-loaded on Steam. And I never did finish the Third, so I've been playing through that the past few days, don't think I'm too far from the end now. I'd forgotten just how much fun it is. You'd think being nigh-immortal and way overpowered would get dull quickly, but apparently not. I guess it's the simple pleasures that do it, like phoning for a VTOL instead of driving to the next mission.
Considering I've been playing the shit out of it, the powers are fun, the story and missions can get intense, and the activities are really diverse. I even had fun with the fraud (once I figured out how to use the speed to get a boost). Lots of fun.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Damn, forgot to add, that even though I have a lot of vehicles (like the tron-ish bike) and planes, the sheer fun of running, jumping and gliding makes vehicles secondary. Especially since you can play the radio stations outside of the vehicles. So far, having homies isn't worth it, but once you do their loyalty missions, they seem to be good (ie, the named homies, not the generic gang members). Lots of humor in this, and some interesting moral questions raised.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Badger3k wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:So, Saints Row IV on Friday. Anyone else going to play it? I've got it pre-loaded on Steam. And I never did finish the Third, so I've been playing through that the past few days, don't think I'm too far from the end now. I'd forgotten just how much fun it is. You'd think being nigh-immortal and way overpowered would get dull quickly, but apparently not. I guess it's the simple pleasures that do it, like phoning for a VTOL instead of driving to the next mission.
Considering I've been playing the shit out of it, the powers are fun, the story and missions can get intense, and the activities are really diverse. I even had fun with the fraud (once I figured out how to use the speed to get a boost). Lots of fun.
Check your living-somewhere-it-was-released-Tuesday-instead-of-Friday privilege :P But man… according to Steam I played 74 minutes of it last night, and just during that short time it made me laugh out loud several times, and it's been fun to play even before getting any of the powers. In fact, why am I typing this instead of playing?

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Count me in as being addicted to Saints Row 4. Ye gods it's fun, and growing even more so since I got the bounce gun a decent grab-bag of powers!

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Er, "the bounce gun AND a decent grab-bag of powers". Yeah, that makes more sense...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

BioShock Infinite.
Wow. What a story.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Thought about posting this to the main thread, since some of it is related to the main ideas - in-group, etc - but decided to post it here:
[youtube]yjHjCfcTuI8[/youtube]

One of the people I subscribed to since he made interesting videos, but he talks about quitting playing a game because when he goes to forums (etc - the "community") he saw a lot of 'elitism' - people who put down other games, or other gamers. Anyone familiar with, well, any kind of fandom can relate. When I was active on the Herogames forums (and the D&D ones) I saw the same kind of thing - passionate defense of your chosen system, put down of all others (or rival systems). I don't bother going to most forums that have anything to do with games anymore, just because I don't need to. I play a game because it's fun, and I enjoy playing it.

I don't know - this just seems like whining from someone who can't face reality. It seems like the SJW bit (even though he calls the BF elites, usually PC gamers, as hipsters) - people are mean, wah wah way, I'm not going to play. WTF? Why let some internet assholes, who can have nothing to do with you when you play, if you want, make you stop playing a game? It's like youtube comments, or redditt, or A+. I could see if it was company reps, or developers or designers who were doing it, then you might make a statement (although not playing a game is a bit late to do anything, since you've already paid). I don't care for the latest Star Wars movies, but it wasn't because of the fanbois. I just don't get it.

He even goes into some detail, about the comments and PMs, and even says he is used to getting things like this, but since they were well written, it took him by surprise for some reason. People can write well, and still be assholes, and the most vocal people tend to be, well, assholes - or more passionate and prone to more outspoken disagreement (sometimes they are both the same thing). So I don't see the issue.

What the hell happened to people? Has it always been this way, or has the rise of social media made people too dependent on the opinions of others, and make people run to their rooms and cry when their feefees are hurt. I rarely play COD anymore, not because the assholes online (comments anyway - anyone just talking or playing music I mute, I only keep those who are actually helping out - calling out enemies, strategy, etc), but because of the lag issues, the trickshots, the quickscoping exploit, and a few other things. A recent BF 3 game I was in, I was in a squad with two kids, and when I knifed somebody this one kid wanted (he needed one kill with his weapon, and apparently I took his only kill in the beginning of a 500 ticket game) he spazed out, started yelling at me and knifing me (didn't do anything, it wasn't hardcore), just being a dick. I got my mic out, chewed his ass out, told him to stop whining and play the fucking game. I then switched squads (thought about going to the other team, but nah, wasn't worth it), and went on to have a good squad and good game. The kids may have left the game too - I never bothered to remember their names to see how they did - wasn't worth anything. My point is, there are assholes everywhere, and if you let them drive you off a game or something you love, you have problems. It's like this one collecter I saw - had a lot of Batman things, even turned his basement into a bat cave - had costumes, vehicles, etc. If he sold everything and hated all things Batman since Affleck was picked to be the next one in the Superman - Batman movie, I'd see it as the same thing.

Sorry if this was long or a bit rantish, or repeating the same points, but this type of behavior just really confuses me. I just don't understand some people.

Atheist Loki

Post by Atheist Loki »

I'm looking forward to Arkham Origins.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Badger3k wrote:Sorry if this was long or a bit rantish, or repeating the same points, but this type of behavior just really confuses me. I just don't understand some people.
It was long and rantish, but I'm with you. Quitting playing a game, or doing anything else you enjoy, simply because of the attitude of some of its fans smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I forget who said it, but there's wisdom to the idea of not reading the bottom half of the internet. It can be entertaining to read comments if you've got nothing better to do, but really, have opinions of your own instead of borrowing them from others. Similarly, don't define yourself only by your opposition to other people's ideas. Yes, I realise the irony of saying that on the Slymepit. I think the question to ask when you can feel the SIWOTI coming on is "is this in any tangible way important, or would I be having an argument simply for the argument's sake?" If the answer is the latter, then walk away. Play that game you like instead, with someone else. Most people are really nice if you're not an asshole yourself.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Diablo 3 on console; interesting. Played an hour last night, kind of liked it. Simply holding down a button for attack could become dull quickly. Although this might be mitigated when more skills are unlocked. Certainly the controls work very well, and I'm all in favour of not holding a mouse all night, as I do that all day at work anyway.

Never played it on PC so I can't compare the two versions. Always online requirement and auction house kept me away. Mostly the latter, since it obviously affected the balance of the game. I won't spend hundreds of hours playing it, and correctly or not I got the impression that was that kind of player the game was aimed at. Since there's no auction house in the console versions, my main problem with the game has been solved so I look forward to playing more of it.

Watching the introductory cutscene made me nostalgic for the nineties, and the original Diablo, when there was little or nothing quite like it. Those brief minutes of animated stuff you got seemed so amazing. Obviously it's a good thing that things like that are more ubiquitous now, but it doesn't feel as special.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

TedDahlberg wrote:
It was long and rantish, but I'm with you. Quitting playing a game, or doing anything else you enjoy, simply because of the attitude of some of its fans smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I forget who said it, but there's wisdom to the idea of not reading the bottom half of the internet. It can be entertaining to read comments if you've got nothing better to do, but really, have opinions of your own instead of borrowing them from others. Similarly, don't define yourself only by your opposition to other people's ideas. Yes, I realise the irony of saying that on the Slymepit. I think the question to ask when you can feel the SIWOTI coming on is "is this in any tangible way important, or would I be having an argument simply for the argument's sake?" If the answer is the latter, then walk away. Play that game you like instead, with someone else. Most people are really nice if you're not an asshole yourself.
Communities are dominated by the loudest voices, and most of those people are arseholes. But, that isn't the whole picture. There's plenty of decent players, they're just not spending most of their time gobbing off.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Just putting in that gta v is teh awesome. Just started but really like the multiple story lines, although combat is a bitch. Cant see the bloody dot.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I posted a link a few days ago, about a "rape scene" in GTA V (original article is here, amended) - the original scene seemed to be one of rape, but the developers said it was cannibalism (there is this cult...). In the game guide, I saw the ambient experience listing and it said the two guys would start shooting you, so it didn't seem like if you did nothing, there would be an in-game rape. Although, there is one encounter where you can be stunned, knocked out, and wake up on train tracks in your underwear, implying that this guy did the whole male-rape thing on you.

Oddly, none of the usual suspects have brought up either of this, either Thimbledick or the other one who plays games (can't remember who it is). They also haven't commented on the "lap dance" and "booty call" events/minigames. You can go to the strip club, get a lapdance (with full nipples but a g-string), and your character (all males) can flirt or touch (while the bouncer is distracted). If you do enough of that, you can max out the "like" meter, and if you do, you get a chance to go with her to her place (not everyone does that, though - one says she does not sleep around). Apparently you can call them later and do things (maybe dates - that has a brief mention in the guide, maybe just a booty call). You also get a text the next morning which has a sexy pic (I guess - it was hard to see, but that is the implication). Odd that no one has at least mentioned this clearly sexist/misogynistic game!

Although, to be fair, after sleeping with Sapphire, I tried to call and see if I could actually go one a date, I got a very brusque "I'm busy" response - I feel so used....

Haven't played much since I've been working a lot, but the game is fun (despite the shooting mechanics which I don't like), and the world is huge - I've barely made it out of the city, and from the beginning you can go anywhere you want on the map - you're not limited to one small area which expands as the game goes on. Lots to do, from missions, to sidequests, to challenges and more.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Missed it - in the review, the guy says one guy is naked from the waist down, but in the guide the pic they use has one guy in shorts and shirt, the other guy only in shorts. Haven't run into this, so I don't know which is accurate.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

I finally caved yesterday and bought Total War Rome II. It was on sale at Green Man Gaming and they had an additional 25% off that which made it about half price, so what the hell...

I've only played through the first tutorial mission (I started the second but was stupid and got my general killed), but yes indeed, that's Rome Total War. I haven't played any of them since the previous Rome game; I lose interest as firearms are introduced. But it felt familiar enough. It remains to be seen how much time I spend with it, but I expect to have some fun. There's just something about pulling off a flanking maneuver that's very satisfying, and I enjoy the strategic part as well. The only downside to these games is that they eat so much time that I rarely finish them.

Now what I really want is a Roman version of Crusader Kings...

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Cyan, creators of Myst, Riven, Uru, and Myst: End of Ages, launched a kickstarter a while ago to create a new game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

They're 100,000 away from their goal

[youtube]4OF9BBc0xA0[/youtube]

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Welp, just over a day until XCOM Enemy Within unlocks. I so wish I could carry on my current campaign with Enemy Within's new stuff in it, but alas, 'tis not to be.

It'll be worth it for being able to rip the arms and legs off my soldiers, and turn them into half-machine nightmares... er, volunteers only, of course.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:BioShock Infinite.
Wow. What a story.
QFT

Looking forward to getting the Burial At Sea DLC, too. It'll be very excellent to see Booker and Elizabeth in Rapture.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:BioShock Infinite.
Wow. What a story.
QFT

Looking forward to getting the Burial At Sea DLC, too. It'll be very excellent to see Booker and Elizabeth in Rapture.
First part of it is out now, at least forcthe ps3 so i assume its the same for other patforms.

12 more hours until I can pick up my PS4.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

http://i.imgur.com/FB1BZdI.jpg

Anyone else excited by the impending release of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and/or Super Mario 3D World? I certainly am, especially for Zelda. It tickles my nostalgia bone in exactly the right spot. A Link to the Past may be my favourite game ever, and from what I've heard this new one does LttP justice.

I will confess that I've even pre-ordered it here, simply to get the musical chest:

windy

Post by windy »

After another lurker pointed out the recent Fallout giveaway on GOG.com (thanks for that!), I saw that they're also having a sale with lots of other classic games for 50% off. I decided to give this one a go:

http://www.gog.com/game/i_have_no_mouth ... _scream‎

Not recommended for people who get triggered by sadistic supercomputers, Nazi medical experiments or... elevators. :shifty:

http://lparchive.org/I-Have-No-Mouth-an ... img-28.png

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Can't believe I didn't know about this but the Legacy of Kain series is back in mmo form.

[youtube]VbpMhMfnTuQ[/youtube]