Zinnia Jones

Post by Dilurk »

Anyone know what to make of this video?

[youtube]r0f76ZG1yWQ[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Zinnia Jones

Post by Lsuoma »

She sounds like a robot. Really difficult to listen to...

JAB

Post by JAB »

Lsuoma wrote:She sounds like a robot. Really difficult to listen to...
You get used to xer delivery... I used to subscribe and xe did many effective vids... not lately though, so I've unsubbed.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Lsuoma wrote:She sounds like a robot. Really difficult to listen to...
Robotically reciting the party line. *sigh*

Jack Rawlinson

Post by Jack Rawlinson »

It's a pity that decent, thoughtful people like Zinnia and Cristina Rad seem to have bought into the FtB pseudo-feminist hypersensitivity. I'll still listen to them because they are good people and they make an honest effort to be thoughtful and reasonable. Unlike that two-faced, arrogant, chest-beating yobbo Myers and the shamelessly hypocritical "Skepchicks".

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

An odd vocal delivery, possibly developed as an attempt to sound less masculine? Anyway that's not the point.

The point is, that no-one (at least no-one I've read and no-one here in the Pit) is saying that sexual harassment doesn't exist. No-one is saying that women don't experience sexual harassment in a different way to men. However when that shades over into: "Because you are male you cannot understand this problem and must take our word for it," my bullshit detector lights up.

Moreover, I, and many others, have been trying to "get the blanks filled in" on this matter for some time now. Who is doing it? When and where did it happen? If it happened to you, why didn't you report it? Because generalised statements that there is a problem, anonymous accusations, second hand anecdotes, all of it way after the fact, are no damned use to anyone. In fact they just make matters worse.

Do we get any actual data? No. Just insults and bans. The only women who are willing to "fill in our blanks" from their personal experience are the ones saying there's no problem. On the other side of the balance sheet: Elevatorgate and The Great T-shirt Manufactureversy. Which between them add up to fuck all! If counsel has no evidence to present I move to dismiss.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

real horrorshow wrote: The point is, that no-one (at least no-one I've read and no-one here in the Pit) is saying that sexual harassment doesn't exist. No-one is saying that women don't experience sexual harassment in a different way to men. However when that shades over into: "Because you are male you cannot understand this problem and must take our word for it," my bullshit detector lights up.
Well, for me its a little more specific than that.

I've been to cons that were wretched hives of sexism and misogyny (like DEFCON). I've also been to cons that were entirely free of sexism/misogyny (from my observation).

So I'm not so much skeptical as suggesting they are focusing their efforts in the wrong place.

DarthSutekh

Post by DarthSutekh »

EveryMan wrote:So I'm not so much skeptical as suggesting they are focusing their efforts in the wrong place.
That' because many of them don't care being a 'movement' as such. Or they want to be part of a group that appears to stand for things they care about.

Zinnia is at least honest, but there are blinders that keep slipping over her view of the world. Unlike a lot of the Ftb crowd these are not active blinders decrying feminist catch phrases at anything that doesn't fit her world view. But passive blinders that cause her to overlook things. Rather pointedly the post on her own channel by her significant other Heather, where after basically saying she wants to keep her 'radical feminist' label and giving a definition for 'liberal feminism' for what she thinks 'radical fems' believe she gives off a very tired old feminist pseudo-psychological argument that all gender roles are socially imposed. Both she and Zinnia seem to ignore this argument basically says that save for physicality and hormonally imposed behaviors, all gender traits are a construct of society so all trans people are liars. All inter-sexed people who are surgically assigned the wrong gender after birth are liars. This is what a lot of actual radical feminists use that argument for as transsexuals are a big 'This is bullshit!!' stamp on the argument. Then Zinnia, blinders on to that inference, and how totally insulting to the genderqueer it is, defends Heather for it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Is this the one who does the voice-over work for Stephen Hawking's speech software?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

It must be really annoying every time you answer your phone to find that the caller thinks they've gone straight to voicemail.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I heard she once called the speaking clock by accident, and got a date out of it.

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Even though I think Zinnia Jones is a bit of an idiot, she's one of the few people on FTB that doesn't censor her comments. She also allows guests to post.

You have to give her credit for being honest and respecting free speech.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Yeah, she does have kind of a monotone voice..I thought she was doing it on purpose when I listened to one of her kick ass logic videos, to really stick it in on theists. But maybe she isn't?

Either way, like her videos. And her voice gives me ASMR.

Why is there a dancing turd here? :/

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

DarthSutekh wrote:
EveryMan wrote:So I'm not so much skeptical as suggesting they are focusing their efforts in the wrong place.
That' because many of them don't care being a 'movement' as such. Or they want to be part of a group that appears to stand for things they care about.

Zinnia is at least honest, but there are blinders that keep slipping over her view of the world. Unlike a lot of the Ftb crowd these are not active blinders decrying feminist catch phrases at anything that doesn't fit her world view. But passive blinders that cause her to overlook things. Rather pointedly the post on her own channel by her significant other Heather, where after basically saying she wants to keep her 'radical feminist' label and giving a definition for 'liberal feminism' for what she thinks 'radical fems' believe she gives off a very tired old feminist pseudo-psychological argument that all gender roles are socially imposed. Both she and Zinnia seem to ignore this argument basically says that save for physicality and hormonally imposed behaviors, all gender traits are a construct of society so all trans people are liars. All inter-sexed people who are surgically assigned the wrong gender after birth are liars. This is what a lot of actual radical feminists use that argument for as transsexuals are a big 'This is bullshit!!' stamp on the argument. Then Zinnia, blinders on to that inference, and how totally insulting to the genderqueer it is, defends Heather for it.

I couldn't really make sense of your post, but sounds like gender essentialism. The actual gender roles are social constructs. "Masculinity." "Femininity." It's not to say that trans people are liars. I have theories for that, but I'm not going to sit here and say that gender roles are something we're born with and can't help doing just because some people would reply to me asking why I support trans surgery.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Eucliwood, your post is presenting a false dichotomy and doesn't cater for some mixture of nature / nurture (see further, evo psych).

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

rocko2466 wrote:Eucliwood, your post is presenting a false dichotomy and doesn't cater for some mixture of nature / nurture (see further, evo psych).
There is no false dichotomy. Gender roles are created for male and females, not for transpeople. That's my point. The poster wasn't saying gender identity (trans and all that) doesn't exist - just that gender roles and stuff that are specifically assigned for X, Y, or Z (trans has no role society says it must adhere to) are social constructs.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I agree with ZInnia on one thing: people without experience should listen to what people with experience have to say. And since I'm the one with the invisible dragon living in my garage, not her, she needs to believe me when I say the fucker exists.