PHP coder/troubleshooter needed

More fun than a liquid sodium enema
DW Adams

PHP coder/troubleshooter needed

Post by DW Adams »

If anyone that knows PHP gets bored, feel free to take a look at this add-on for php-fusion and see if you can figure out why passwords are not working on the chatrooms.

add-on: Video Chat by rayzzz

If you're not familiar with php-fusion, it is the open source CMS that I've used to run my site since 2008.

The other chat add-on I was using got buggy after I updated the core files recently.

My issue is regarding the creation of chatrooms and password protecting them. At present, once a password is entered, it disappears as soon as you click "OK". It's like it doesn't write to the DB or something. When you Edit the room info, it shows as a password protected room, with no password set and open to anyone.

DW Adams

Re: PHP coder/troubleshooter needed

Post by DW Adams »

Just found something that may be useful:

If someone knows the link, (the link from the website is Members Only viewable), you can set a Name and sorta login to the chat, but you don't have permissions to talk. You can click and and kinda enter the password protected rooms...if you know the password. But, once you attempt to type, you get pop-up denying text and redirect to login.

So, the passwords are being set, they're just not being saved where they are visible to the Admin or room creator.

To see the above, click here

I don't know enough about php-fusion or the php used to create the chat program to do anything with this, so any help would be appreciated.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Oh and room Test 1 password is 'test1'.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

I love PHP but I can never ever be bothered to debug other ppl's framework related salad.

Here's a little helper you may or may not be familiar with:
Insert text outputs before and after each (forked) functionality to check where exactly the script fails to execute as desired. If necessary, output the content of all variables, often enough they're empty bc you fcked up to transfer values and your script cant deal with such errors.
At present, once a password is entered, it disappears as soon as you click "OK". It's like it doesn't write to the DB or something
Ofc it disappears once a form is submitted and the page is reloaded (unless you're reading the value and putting it into the form again upon reload - which nobody does, because noone stores PWs in a db). It just seems your code either fails to realise that there's been relevant input to act on, or that the input isn't properly processed to log you in.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I was messing around the other day without logging in and noticed that passwords "work" for Visitors. I assumed that since I, or any logged-in Member could enter a room without a password, they weren't being saved. (Seeing a blank box where password belongs or even ******, I assumed it wasn't there)

So now it seems that the chat program is treating everyone like an Admin in regards to protected rooms...I'm hoping this means that the fix won't be too convoluted for me to handle.

And thanks for the advice, TiBo.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

And it looks like the Dev has been working on it and just not communicating with me. It seems to be working now. It would be nice if he'd tell me what code he changed so I can pass it along to the php-fusion community.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

1 major reason why i abhore working along such projects. unless you've gone through all their shit, you simply won't know how reliably you can use their resources.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I'm still not sure what he did. I guess I'll copy the files worth newer date from the server and compare them to the original files.

It's working again, so there is that. /shrug